Sophie vs. Lillian

karenkt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a three year old female who, since at nine months has been with me (only). I just brought home a second female, Lillian, age ten years, who lived with nursing home residents for years. My current cat, Sophie, will not accept another in HER house. I've been taking steps at introducing, as I've read to do. It's been three weeks and I still have to keep them separated. One glance and Sophie starts growling and hissing again. How long does it take, or should I try to find another home for Lillian?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Don't give up.

We had our recent adoptee, Cocoa, in her safe room for 3 weeks also. Our resident cat, Casper, kept growling and hissing at her from under the door,.  We did everything right also but until he stopped doing that we didn't think it was a good idea to let her out with him around.  

We finally did a day or two of swapping them out where we put him in her room, and let her roam the house.  We also brought her down in her carrier for short periods, to let him get used to her safely.  I think both helped somewhat. 

When we saw he would walk by her door calmly, we took the chance of opening up the door and letting her come out.  For the most part, it was ok.  We kept a close eye on them, separating them at night for the first week after that.  During the daytime, there was some hissing, etc. on his part but never outright aggression.  He got possessive with some of his toys also, and would softly swat her but that was expected.

Now, she has been here since 12/21/12.  They have been out totally together for 6 weeks and things are rather good.  They are not best friends but they do that nose kiss thing, have little chase sessions (she, being younger out runs him completely lol), will sleep on the bed together and life is peaceful for them, with only a rare annoyance crossing between them.

They will get there.  Just have patience.  I know it can be exasperating to wait, but it usually will be ok in the end.  Everyone here told me it would be and they were right!

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going through a similar situation.    I now have 2 male cats and have been introducing a younger one (5 years old) to an older boy (12 years old) .   My 12 year old kitty had been without a cat friend for 3 years until I brought the "new kid" home. 

I know it seems like eternity, but 3 weeks isn't a long time.  It can take months sometimes, so you need lots of patience.  It's too soon to think about another home for Lillian.

There's lots of differing advice about introducing cats and you've written that you've taken some steps.  How did you go about introducing the girls?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

karenkt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your response. I printed an article from Petfinder.com called "Tips for Introducing Two Cats". In it there are three steps which make sense I think. We're still on step One where you keep them separated by a closed door, spend time with each, etc. Step two means let them see each other with the door propped open 2-3 inches. But you can't go there until the hissing and growling stops. Oh! also I ordered a feline diffuser which is supposed to calm unpleasant behaviour. It just came today so I haven't tried it yet. I took Sophie to my mom's for a couple days to let Lillian out of the bedroom. (She hasn't come out very far yet!)

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Step two means let them see each other with the door propped open 2-3 inches. But you can't go there until the hissing and growling stops.
Hi there.  We've got four cats so we've been through intros 3 times....all following similar advice to what you read.  While it would be ideal for the hissing to die down a bit, I think after three weeks it would be fine to do the door prop open step even if there is some hissing and growling.  I gave out treats while the door was cracked and that is what helped them move on from hissing and growling so much while the door was propped open.  When they were able to eat treats with little to no hissing then I considered moving on to the next step. 

Our four cats are good friends but there is still some hissing and growling among them every day.  So, I'd not make it a goal to have a total absence of that before moving on to the next step.  And when they meet face to face, there will be some hissing and growling.  That is totally normal.  It's great that you are introducing them so carefully. 
I took Sophie to my mom's for a couple days to let Lillian out of the bedroom.
Personally, I'd reconsider this.  Cats are very territorial and it could be very upsetting to Sophie to be removed from home...especially while there is an "invader" in the house.  And Lillian might be confused....where is that cat who she's been hearing and smelling?  Having them switch rooms for a little while each day might be a better way to let Lillian get out and about.  With one of our intros, we put the new cat in a crate for a period each day and just let him hang out in the living room watching the other cats.  Anyways, I'd recommend bringing Sophie home.

Oh, and to answer your "how long does it take" question....our 3rd and 4th cats were in an isolation room for 1 month each (partly for health issues, but also for the slow introduction.)  After isolation there was still some hissing and growling but they were totally accepted about a month after coming out.  (But as I mentioned there are still some hisses among them even though they are friends.)

Good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

karenkt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well as for Sophie, she loves to go to my moms. That's her second home. But I realize I'm probably taking a step backwards in this process. I did try switching rooms but that didn't work. On the positive note, Lillian's been out here sniffing Sophie's stuff without even a hint of a reaction. But things will pick up where they left off when Sophie comes home, I'm sure.  Maybe I'll do the room switch then, and not let them see each other.

I purchased one of those feline diffusers and plugged it in last night. Instructions say to plug in 24-48 hours before two cats are home together. Have you had experience with the diffusers?

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you had experience with the diffusers?
We keep one plugged in in the middle of the house.  It probably doesn't reach the bedrooms but the cats spend most of their time in the middle of the house in the living areas anyways.  My cats get along but have their moments of tension like any siblings.  I think the diffuser helps with that....but it is really hard to say for sure.  If there seems to be more tension at times I will spray a calming spray on soft surfaces around the living room.  I have seen immediate results with the spray but like having the diffuser plugged in too....just in case it is helping.  (We use the feliway brand diffuser but use whatever brand of calming spray is on sale at Petsmart.... most recently, Nature's Miracle brand.)