Sophie the hairball returns!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Her adoptive home didn't work out, not only did her congestion/nasal discharge/coughing/hacking return with a vengeance, but she also isn't house trained - she sometimes poops outside the box. They did try, and even took her to the vet when her congestion returned, tried things to work around the LB issues, etc. I'm thinking the shelter won't be willing to adopt her out, so we'll see what happens.

(I did resize the pics, not sure it worked, so hopefully they aren't too big)

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Nat, I'm so sorry.

Many you can get this chronic infection under control.
She doesn't have asthma, right? My mom gets chronic sinus infections. Apart from frequent antibiotics, she also uses nasal steroids. I wonder if something like that is an option for a kitty?
And I wonder if her litter box habits have anything to do with her illness? Seems odd, but it would be nice if the solution to one were the solution to the other. We can hope, right?

Even though she doesn't feel well, she's beautiful as always!

to you for being there for these kitties.

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no! I'm so sorry her new home didn't work out. Poor little girl. You are too good for taking her back. I hope she gets better and something can be worked out for her soon....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am still considering a correlation b/w the congestion & the LB habits - but even when she was "better" for several weeks after her surgery she still pooped outside the box @ my house. I'll be putting in calls to a few vets on Wed to see what I can come up w/ for options.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not happy that her forever home didn't work out. But I am happy that they returned her instead of putting her down.

She is such a beautiful girl!

As Chynna
got older she started to poop outside the box sometimes too. I would find poops in the corner of the living room behind the end table, or in the closet. The litter box was clean and the litter was the same as always. She still used the box to pee though. She was always a conscientious kitty when it came to using the box and burying her business, so much so that I swear she could have dug her way to the Orient if the floor didn't get in the way. I think the pooping outside the box started around her 16 year mark, or maybe a bit sooner.

It wasn't all of the time, and it wasn't diarrhea, so I didn't bother asking the vet about it. I just chaulked it up to old age.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's good to know, Linda. Sophie's not that old, only 8 years, but like Laurie said maybe her health has something to do with it? I know her previous owners, they commented that they thought the other cat was happier once Sophie left, as it quit pooping outside the litterbox (they only told me this a few weeks ago). It never occurred to them that Sophie was the one pooping outside the box!
They're nice enough people, just miss some glaringly obvious things.

Of the 4 people who applied for her, every single one stopped dead in their tracks at the poop issue or the congestion. I guess as far as I'm concerned she can stay here until the right home comes along. I'm just not sure how many people would put up with her "issues". I honestly wouldn't have taken her in as a foster if I had known the truth about her health, & I know she would've been euthanized after 2 weeks at the shelter.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried shaving her bottom? Maybe she is so furry that it bothers her to use the litter box? Maybe she just finds it easier and less messy to go outside of it?

sflacat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope she finds a forever home.She is beautiful.Hopefully someone will have an answer to her issue.Maybe needs another type of litter?For solving this.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do keep her bottom shaved, I even had it professionally done once to be sure I was doing it right. We've tried countless litters, litter boxes, and litter box locations to no avail.

bluerexbear

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Bless her heart!! She sure is pretty and she is lucky to have you there to save her from being PTS.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Oh Nat, I'm so sorry.

Many you can get this chronic infection under control.
She doesn't have asthma, right? My mom gets chronic sinus infections. Apart from frequent antibiotics, she also uses nasal steroids. I wonder if something like that is an option for a kitty?
And I wonder if her litter box habits have anything to do with her illness? Seems odd, but it would be nice if the solution to one were the solution to the other. We can hope, right?

Even though she doesn't feel well, she's beautiful as always!

to you for being there for these kitties.
I concur with Laurie
I think the litterbox mishaps are related to her illness
. AND, yes, she is beautiful, can't deny that fact. Sorry it didn't work out for Sophie.....