Sophie....continued... 3 Years Old and possible kidney failure?!! *LONG.*

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Okay, my last thread about Sophie was after she was given anti-depressants, which is something we've been flirting with for about a year or two and finally decided it was time.

Last year around this time (December 30th), I lost the love of my life and my soulmate, my cat Mutty, 19 years old. So Sophie's problems kind of fell to the wayside and now I am seriously regretting it.

She hasn't had a full workup and urinalysis in about two years. Everything was fine then and she weighed 7lbs.

The *REASON* for the last vet visit was mainly because as of lately (the past few months), Sophie has been drinking A LOT of water and her teeth seemed to be changing color. I'm a stay at home wife and I see her literally camped out next to the water bowl for a good portion of the day just sitting perched up there in a sitting position.

The vet weighed her, and she is now 9lbs. She asked for all the symptoms and I told her exactly what has been going on, and she said that Sophie appears to be in overall good health but we would order a full workup for after the new year. She didn't even MENTION anything to do with her kidneys. >
Sophie has an anxiety problem (hence the anti-depressants), so we decided at that point to go the anti-depressant route. The vet didn't seem one bit concerned as she said Sophie seemed in overall good health.

Well, after this appointment, I've gotten more and more concerned and started looking up symptoms of renal failure in cats.

Sophie:

~Is always drinking water...always. (I can't tell if she's urinating more because we have three cats, so it's impossible for me to tell, especially since she refuses to urinate when I'm around, I never ever see it happen..and I remember when Mutty was dying, not of kidney failure, but of cancer, she was urinating so much it would soak the bottom of the litter box...nothing like that is happening.)
~ Hunches over the water bowl and perches next to it for the majority of the day. (my biggest concern, it really really scares me)
~ Has thrown up just 2-3 times (that I've noticed) where it's only been very foamy liquid.
~ Has gum disease (diagnosed at her vet appointment, her teeth have turned a grayish color on some teeth, we set up a "cleaning")
~ She doesn't let me pick her up, but she never has so I can't tell if there's pain or whatever in her middle area. When I try to pet her back, she pulls it down and runs.

Now, she's gained 2lbs since her last full workup two years ago and her appetite seems to be the same....in fact, she kind of seems to eat MORE than she used to.

I am *SO SCARED* because quite frankly, we cannot afford treatment. The tests themselves are going to be ridiculously expensive and that we have already planned into our income. I should also mention, I love my husband dearly, but he is not an animal lover....he appreciates our cats and loves them because *I* do...but I can understand his frustration with how much we've spent already, so the whole "treatment options" thing, I know is going to be off the table, as we can barely afford to live ourselves right now.

Does this sound like renal failure to those of you that have gone through it? At three years old?!! How expensive is treatment??? I ask that KNOWING we won't be able to afford it.

What if you can't give proper treatment...what happens then? Do I even want to hear the answer to that?

I have three cats and a dog and they are EVERYTHING to me. Sophie is very very very special to me, as she was the cat my husband and I got our first year together after a very bad miscarriage...she helped me out of a deep depression.

Over the years, she's just gotten meaner and meaner (could this be a symptom?). The vet has always said she has an anxiety disorder...a pretty bad one...but I can't even touch her anymore. At all without her tearing me to shreds. The thing that scares me the most beyond all the symptoms, is that a few times over the past few weeks, she's crawled up onto my lap and purred herself to sleep. This is NOT like her at ALLLLLLLLLL. And reminds me of when Mutty was dying last year (and we didn't know it) and she would always need to be on top of me.

I probably sound like a basketcase but I'm so scared of what the future holds. I want to rush her in for her tests tomorrow, but we simply do not have the money right now and no, we do not have the credit for carecredit and the like.

Any opinions and advice would be greatly appreciated more than you know.........

Thanks for reading.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This does not sound like Kidney Failure.
I have a cat with CRF.
Drinking alot of water could be a sign of alot of illnesses.
I lost Stormy and Patches to kidney failure at age 5 and 6 and Stripe at age 11.
Could you have the cat checked for Diabetes.
Cocos treatment is not cheap.
CRF cats do not gain 2 pounds they lose weight.
I would be happy of Coco ever gained weight.
None of mine became mean either.
Also I never had a cat with kidney failure that had teeth change color.
CRF cats tend not to want to eat.
They do throw up though.
What you discribe sounds more like Diabetes.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree it sounds like diabetes to me too. I have had two diabetics and they have lived at the water bowl.

Diabetes is really not expensive to manage. Insulin lasts quite a while and syringes are relatively cheap.

Please keep us informed.

nance

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a diabetic cat and this is what happened to him....your cat needs a full blood panel ..if money is an issue maybe u know someone who has a bg meter and test yourself and take those results to the vet.....If it is diabetic ...its not hard to manage yourself at home...and its not expensive...the thing that cost the most for me was the test stripes but u can get great deals online now for them...I really hope u get some help for your cat...because she sounds like she is not doing well at all...IF it turns out to be diabetes there are a few great sites out there...some even will even send u supplies they do not use anymore to treat your cat....- the insulin of course but that was isn't very much money

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a kidney problem kitty and these symptoms don't sound like any she's had. I'm more prone to consider something like diabetes rather than kidney problems. Anyway you can get a full blood panel done before Christmas?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness, you all have given me so much hope! If it is diabetes and has nothing to do with her kidneys I will feel very relieved.

Having a blood panel done by Christmas is nearly impossible. Our vet will not do anything without money upfront (and trust me, we've shopped around for vets over the years)....so things are super tight right now.

We got an "estimate" for her tests and they were just way too much for us right now. There's just no way around it unless a miracle happens.

nance

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well one thing to start with she shouldn't be eating any dry food...you should lower her carb intake....if its diabetes

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nance

Well to start she shouldn't be eating any dry food...you should lower her carb intake
The cats free feed on dry but are fed wet two to three times daily.

I have two other cats...should I take away the dry altogether? That may be very difficult since we're already spending so much on wet. If we have to increase the wet food beyond what is already fed, aaaaack!!!

Also, what about treats? She's on special dental treats for her gum disease, are those still okay?

nance

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Depending on whether she is diabetic...they usually have to follow a very strict diet....I juggled canned and dry...because I have a multi cat household...

If u want to get informed about diabetes pls check out this website

http://www.felinediabetes.com/

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you Nance!! I really appreciate it.

I'm just worried about what to do for the next two and a half weeks before we can get her in, I just don't want to make ANY condition worse, you know?

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about Care Credit? It is recognized by many vets. After years of breaking the bank, I got it. You can apply over the phone or at the vets ofice if he is a participant. You can also use it immediately, that day for your bill.

yourdiabeticcat.com has tons of information also. I don't want to get your hopes up either. Just learn all you can. Knowledge is power.

Keep us informed! We are pulling for Sophie!

PS the site is www.carecredit.com

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can apply for care credit online also. Riley has had tons of vet bills lately and I was able to use care credit for most of it. The payments are zero interest as long as you make them on time. Most vets accept it also.

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you poor poor thing. Thank you for trying so hard with Sophie! is she not the same one that fell out of the window many moons ago? you've gone through so much

I don't have any advice. I had my cat tested for diabetes (simple blood) test but it came back negative. I wish you the best and you and sophie are in my thoughts!