Soo I think my cat respects me more now.

satsumasryummy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today I came to the conclusion that I was being a skittish cat guardian, and not striking any sort of balance between discipline and the lack thereof. By discipline, I mean the literal definition, which is training to adhere to a rule - not punishment, which people often confuse the two with. Self-discipline is not punishment, and neither is discipline of any other living creature.

I was training Lux with a clicker to accept brushing, which he used to loathe. He would yowl horribly any time I got near him with a brush or claw clippers - for the latter issue, I began by incorporating petting of the paws in regular petting. I also started petting him more in the areas he was less comfortable with - belly, legs, chest, bum, tail - slowly desensitizing him to this. I know it's not in their instincts to get up close and personal with hoomans, let alone to let them touch very sensitive parts of them, so I was patient. But it took me months to get to the point where he didn't flip out when I touched those parts, and when he enjoyed brushing. He was developing issues from having to lick up all the loose fur on his body, and viciously attacked himself with grooming many times a day - I actually saw the clumps of fur on his tongue during some of these sessions. It was the opposite of the languorous grooming cats are famous for, and that I used to see him enjoy. He looked pissed. I decided we weren't going to do this song and dance anymore.

I drank some herbal calming tea, because grooming always gets me jittery and that invariably transfers to the cat. I do this regularly however, so it was definitely not my jitters that affected him before. I sprayed some lavender essential oil freshener, turned on some classical music. I set him on a medium-height table with treats and grooming supplies, and used classic cat groomer positions to get at the parts he never let me brush. Being firm with him yielded results like never before. I even got to clip some of his claws today, which I have been avoiding for months because of the previous bad experiences. After these mini-sessions, I gave him some playtime and fed him a snack (I'm transitioning from free-feeding). He was acting much less "crazy-cat" than he has been in the past little while, and seemed much more relaxed yet also still very loving. He was a lot more receptive to playtime than he has been in weeks. He was a bit wary approaching me again for the first time afterwards, looking at me like he thought I was going to grab him, but I just looked away and kept reading and he curled up next to me on the bed. He is more receptive to petting now, too.

Honestly, I think cats can become brats. They are our darlings and our wonderful, intelligent friends, but at the same time, we are also their guardians. We are responsible for carrying out everything that this role implies, and that includes the temporarily uncomfortable things that will yield mutually beneficial results in the long run. They don't understand that in the future, after the grooming session is over, they will have fewer hairballs and not get their claws stuck in things, and this will be easier on them. They are incapable of reasoning this. All they know is that they don't like what is happening, and that you will let them get away with their protesting and reinforce that behaviour by letting them go, i.e. giving them what they want. I never let Lux get to the point where he was genuinely distressed and began vocalizing, and gave him frequent breaks. He was hopping on the table himself by the second mini-session. 

Essentially I put my foot down. And...I think he respects me more now. 

I would love to get some feedback about this.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I'm glad you found a better way that works for you. Sounds to me like you managed to relax and be more calm around him for the procedures, thus affecting his behavior. Cats and discipline don't mix but our cats are certainly affected by our mood and stress level, so you may be seeing a more relaxed cats (kudos!) rather than a more disciplined or even respectful one.

I can tell you as a Mom to both cats and kids, kids can definitely be brats, cats not so much so 
 Different species and an entirely different way of thinking. 

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
congrats! i have yet to try clicker training but i should get on that quick. my kitties respond to certain commands like fetch and sit, and they know their names...well...Charlie knows his name, and Jet knows his name -____- she comes running whenever i call him. but that's a different story.

I've noticed if you're calm, your kitty stays calm!

i gave Charlie a bath the other day, and usually giving him a bath is like ww3, with the screaming and the scratching and attempted escapes, and the vomiting afterwards and the yowling and traumatization,  its horrible. usually i need the help of the bf, but we were fighting that day, and i didn't want his help (we all know how that goes). i took Charlie into the bathroom, and i had this sudden aura of calmness laced with confidence and i was able to give him a bath all on my own! OMGGG and he didn't FLIP OUT like he usually does! he just looked at me, tried to escape a couple times, but then just meowed, but stayed still and let me finish. I was proud of myself. the BF was totally shocked. no scratch marks, and NO VOMITING afterwards :) usually after a bath he throws up for a few days, and won't eat right...but he was good, he was normal, and he was hungry! lol 

YOUR attitude has a lot to do with how your cat reacts. 

if you approach kitty nervous and dreading and thinking "oh God, this will suck" then your cat will pick up on that. 

Congrats @satsumasryummy  , for being able to assert yourself, and gain your cat's respect and to get the job done! 

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Been giving this some more thought and I do tend to agree with you that consistency on the part of the owner plays a huge role too. I do think that as owners we sometimes have to set boundaries (that need to be realistic both for ourselves and for the cat) and then enforce them, calmly and positively, but most importantly, consistently. If that's what you mean by discipline, then I tend to agree with you. I just try to shy away from using that word because to most people discipline is tightly related to punishment in some form, and as you said, that's something that shouldn't be attempted with cats.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i definitely agree with you @Anne  , a lot of people do associate the word discipline with negative things. but that's not the case. its good to have discipline. I have it, i want my kitties to have it and practice as well. Of course discipline is taught with positive reinforcements, and time outs, I don't think yelling at a cat will make him understand anymore, and hitting a cat doesn't do anything but create fear, not respect. i've never even bothered to use the spray bottle. I found that sometimes crating my kitty helps. I only do this when they are being naughty (getting into food while people are eating, knocking stuff over, or getting on counters in the kitchen). i HATE scruffing so I don't even attempt that. I did that once and the way my kitty reacted made me want to cry. but there is nothing wrong with teaching them to be consistent with a desired behavior, and refraining from ones that are not desired. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

satsumasryummy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@Lamiatron: That's exactly right. I also found that when I enlisted the boyfriend to help with any sort of grooming procedure, it began and ended in hysterics. I think having two people gaining on a cat to do something unpleasant is terrifying to him or her in the first place, and what compounds that is the urgent communication between the two people doing the grooming. I waited until I could do it alone. Thanks for understanding where I was coming from. Also as for scruffing, I find that it's a helpful mechanism to soothe them when you need to give medication or something similar - not picking them up by their scruff, because the damage that causes is horrific, but simply holding them loosely by the back of the neck. I have read somewhere that it releases endorphins. Not sure how true that is, but I know my kitty instantly seems more relaxed if the medication struggle is transpiring.

@Anne: I totally agree with your new consensus. I actually mentioned the distinction between discipline and punishment in my post. I never punish my cat. "...Guidance, teaching tempered with love, and patience" is exactly what I practice. I see cats as intelligent animals. I believe they know when they can take advantage of a situation and use that knowledge to their benefit - because why would they do otherwise? Being self-serving is in their nature. I think the negative connotation of the word "bratty" can lead to some misunderstanding. I think that children, and cats, are just expressing a need, and the independence to achieve that need on their own, when they are being "bratty" - whether it's convenient for us or not. They don't understand the concept of "bad" yet - and cats never learn it, they just come to understand that certain things don't have much payoff for them (like if you shove them off the kitchen counters when they get on top, every time). Because they can't reason, it's up to us cat guardians to gently guide them in the right direction. Love is not all about permission. I also see cats as equal members of the household, and discipline as adhering to certain rules, which need to be in place for life in said household to go smoothly...so it only makes sense to enforce those rules. They can't be exempt.

Also, I don't think he is calmer around me. He has been very relaxed since I've been working with him and actively engaging him. He is just more permissive with things like grooming, which he now understands is necessary. He doesn't bunny kick and squirm like he used to, and hops on the table when it's grooming time. Whether or not he respects me more, I feel more respected, and it feels great. And he spit up a giant, nasty hairball this morning, so I know I'm working in the right direction to try to help his poor tummy.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't really agree that it's about respect---I'm not even sure cats can feel respect as humans define it. I do think it's about trust. Now that you have worked with him in a calm confident manner, he understands that grooming will not hurt him and he can trust you to do it. I don't think a cat that doesn't allow grooming is being a "brat"; I think he hasn't learned to trust his humans fully.

satsumasryummy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@Willowy: I agree :) I think it was my interpretation of his trust. Thanks for giving me that perspective. I think the word brat was misused by me, so I apologize if I gave off the wrong impression. But I also think that I achieved success because not only was I very gentle and careful with him, making sure that the whole process was a loving one, but I also didn't let him go when he struggled at being brushed on his belly and other parts he wasn't used to. I used to have the impression that establishing trust is about doing what the cat is okay with, but I now know that sometimes the situation calls for a shortcut, and that trust can still be built this way. 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Nice to read a description of a someone building up a caring and trusting relationship with their cat through the process of grooming.  I agree with everyone that the human emotions strongly influence the cat, but also that the cat has to build an understanding of what the human is going to do to them.  For me this is where consistency comes in, it is part of our learning to communicate and listen to each other as a two way process.  

The idea of having a relaxing tea before you start something you are anxious about is something I hadn't thought of, though I know I will practice relaxation techniques to improve my control of anxiety before I start to approach something with my cats if they are scared and this would be a nice addition.  Thank you. 

satsumasryummy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you, @MServant  :) I have definitely found that the grooming has gotten easier, and now, even with spots like his belly, Lux knows that I'm just going to make his fur nice there, not maim him. I always progress with gentleness and patience in mind. It's getting better! I'm glad my tip helped you. There's actually something I use for both of us by My Healthy Pet called Herbal Calmer, which is a tincture containing calming herbs, and can be used by both cats and humans. I put it on his treats and put a little squirt in water for myself before a grooming session, but I have had to use it less and less as we both grow more confident in and comfortable with the process.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great work sataumasryummy!  LOL, I had to giggle, the "prep" you did sounds like something I would do. The lavender room spray, the classical music, ..Oh, & I would take some Rescue Remedy myself, then put some on a treat `for him too. 
   I actually leave classical music on for Angel when I leave the house.  

cutepixie93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanx Angel's mommy, I'll make sure to let my bf's mom know, when they get a cat, they get all their cats declawed, and she always wondered why they we'nt playful like Bruce.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Great work sataumasryummy!  LOL, I had to giggle, the "prep" you did sounds like something I would do. The lavender room spray, the classical music, ..Oh, & I would take some Rescue Remedy myself, then put some on a treat `for him too. 
   I actually leave classical music on for Angel when I leave the house.  
Classical music! i'm going to have to try that. Thanks for that tip!

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanx Angel's mommy, I'll make sure to let my bf's mom know, when they get a cat, they get all their cats declawed, and she always wondered why they we'nt playful like Bruce.
That's terrible they get their cats declawed. Have they not been educated about how bad that is, what it is actually doing? It's the equivalent to us having out fingers amputated at the first knuckel!

Poor kitty! There is plenty of info threads about it on this site if you want to share it w/ them. Maybe it will help?  Most vets won't even do it anymore, & I think is even illegal in some places now.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

That's terrible they get their cats declawed. Have they not been educated about how bad that is, what it is actually doing? It's the equivalent to us having out fingers amputated at the first knuckel!

Poor kitty! There is plenty of info threads about it on this site if you want to share it w/ them. Maybe it will help?  Most vets won't even do it anymore, & I think is even illegal in some places now.
@satsumasryummy, please spread the word on working with cats in a kind way, and how painful declawing is and the long term behavoiurs that often happen as a result. Try to get these people you know to read the posts on this site and Facebook!  Angels mommy is right, declawing is illegal across Europe and I would love to see it illegal across the world.  Regular claw clipping and a scratching post or cat tree is the norm here .  My cats have learned not to scratch people and my furniture has not been damaged.  

I am a fan of calming classical music for stressed cats AND humans, chill out together!

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i always listen to classical music when i'm studying or painting. i never thought about it for kitties. i'm going to try it out today and see if that helps them to just chill out. 

i doubt it will work for Charlie tho. he's a teenager now and he's just too cool for everything. lolll

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

i always listen to classical music when i'm studying or painting. i never thought about it for kitties. i'm going to try it out today and see if that helps them to just chill out. 

i doubt it will work for Charlie tho. he's a teenager now and he's just too cool for everything. lolll
 That's funny!