Sometimes I Feel Like Giving Up

keeneland

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And then I look in this sweet face and know I have to keep trying! I can hand feed her but cannot pet Do not know if it's ever going to happen as she is now 15 months old. It took her mother 2 years to come around but I can now pet her so anything is possible! For those that thinks 2 weeks is a long time to socialize keep the faith!

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
awwwww...she's adorable! As you realize...give her time. 7 months ago, Bug would have ripped my eyeballs out...now he's a certified mush. After bringing him indoors...there was a period he was fiercely resisting socialization, I was frustrated and actually contemplated releasing him. What a mistake that would have been...... *never* give up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keeneland

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What is her name?:catface:
This is Puff Ball! She went through TNR at 4 months old and we petted her while she was recovering. Once we released her it's been a no go as far as touching her again. Rest of the family has all came around but she is the holdout. With her long hair she gets matted up and I would so like to brush her. Actually all the cats were milling around my feet at feeding this morning and I managed to get a couple of strokes in across her back 2 different times! It could happen that I may pet her this summer after all!

Last edited:

MJO12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think you are doing fine. She may never be a cuddler. It might be her personality. I am beginning to realize I must let cats be who they are. Keep doing what you are doing and don't take it personally. That's what the vet told me.

keeneland

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
IMG_0428.JPG
Puff Ball is for sure her mother's daughter! Fluffy the Mother cat could not be touched for 2 years and would hiss every time we even got very close to her. For whatever reason this year she has decided everything is all right and this afternoon has spent it on our back deck with me petting her! Still doesn't like to be picked up! Puff Ball has her long hair and pretty much her personality. I have gave up trying to figure out cats LOL!

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
And then I look in this sweet face and know I have to keep trying! I can hand feed her but cannot pet Do not know if it's ever going to happen as she is now 15 months old. It took her mother 2 years to come around but I can now pet her so anything is possible! For those that thinks 2 weeks is a long time to socialize keep the faith!

Try using a brush first. It is inanimate and not as intimidating as a hand. Also won't hurt as bad if it gets bit. But work with a small cat brush first and then work in a few finger strokes if things are going well.

keeneland

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Try using a brush first. It is inanimate and not as intimidating as a hand. Also won't hurt as bad if it gets bit. But work with a small cat brush first and then work in a few finger strokes if things are going well.
I would do that if she would ever let me get that close but unless food is in the mix she don't! One thing she does like is playing with the tip of long feather that we run under a clear glass door. She will spend hours at play as long as we will stay out there with her. As it's been said before it's amazing to me how different all cats are and till we got this bunch of ferals I never really knew. I have been around cats my entire life but have bonded more with this bunch because one I guess I am in sympathy for what they have been through & maybe the biggest reason is because I am older. If I had just got a already socialized kitten I do not think the journey to where we are at now would have been as rewarding and to me that is why most of us on this board are here! Thank you one and all for what you do because it does make a difference!

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am surprised she likes ham, none of mine really care for it.
Time and consistent kindness is what works. Our patterns of behavior become predictable to them and that melts away the fear. They know that we arn't going to suddenly attack them. Maybe step on them once in a while, but not on purpose.

My big fluffy feral decided to take up living in my entryway once it really got cold. Last winter he would have been panic stricken to be in there. Now he is sleeping on a box of potato's in front of the heater and doesn't want to go outside.
The heater is to keep the potatoes from freezing, but the cats use it to their advantage. -25 out now, -35 with the wind chill. The geese left just before this front moved in a few days ago. Lots of honking and swirling in the sky to gain altitude and then they went south.

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
^ especially touching when they are rescued and brought in from starving, wandering, cold, stressful situations. I love reading happy endings on the forum here. My little Princess (my 2nd feral adoptee) loves sitting atop or near the warm radiator, comfy...nodding or sleeping. Really heartwarming knowing she's safe and sound.

K keeneland ......Puff Ball is absolutely lovely!

MJO12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree that Puff Ball should be herself. My Callie was feral, but I brought her to my backyard. She is happy living there but won't come inside, except when she occasionally walks the perimeter of the den and runs to the back door again. I pamper her outside. In fact, I made her cat house too warm and found her asleep in the feeding station! Her companion feral, Tom, on the other hand, sleeps on my bed now and only goes outside occasionally. However he is afraid of everyone but me, which makes it hard on me, since I'm afraid to leave him alone for a vacation. It will all work out. But I agree that cats have their personalities and we should respect them. You can take good care of Puff Ball outside, and she may decide to stay inside more in the future. But it's up to her. She is probably training you.

keeneland

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree that Puff Ball should be herself. My Callie was feral, but I brought her to my backyard. She is happy living there but won't come inside, except when she occasionally walks the perimeter of the den and runs to the back door again. I pamper her outside. In fact, I made her cat house too warm and found her asleep in the feeding station! Her companion feral, Tom, on the other hand, sleeps on my bed now and only goes outside occasionally. However he is afraid of everyone but me, which makes it hard on me, since I'm afraid to leave him alone for a vacation. It will all work out. But I agree that cats have their personalities and we should respect them. You can take good care of Puff Ball outside, and she may decide to stay inside more in the future. But it's up to her. She is probably training you.
I think Puff Ball is definitely training me LOL! For 3 nights in a row I was able to pet this little girl when it really got cold. Now she sees me coming and will not give me the chance as she gets down from her bed and stays out of reach. She will still eat from my hand but just dosen't want to be touched. She is an unique cat, beautiful and gentle as the times I have petted her she has never tried to scratch or even hiss but she has her own timetable and I am not sure she ever wants more than to be just an outdoor cat.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Puffball is a beauty, as is her mother. Keep letting her train you, and hopefully she'll eventually train you to open the door so she can hang out inside where it's warm. :catlove:

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She is a beauty!

You know cats are a lot like kids. Remember when you were little and playing a game nicely with your friends? Then things happened that you didn't like and you started yelling "new rule, new rule"! I think cats are like that.

Puffball is saying learn your lessons well and I will play till I don't like it and then it will be "new rule"

keeneland

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just a update on our Puff Ball. She is now just a bit over 5 years old and can now be petted pretty much ever day when being fed. She will come to us for feeding but never to be petted. Now way she would even think about letting us pick her up. If anyone had told me that it would take 5 years to make buddies with a cat I would have thought them crazy and I would have thought I would have gave up also and I would have been wrong on both counts LOL! I will say this if you are getting discouraged trying to make up with a feral cat keep this story in mind! Cats have their own timetable and if we have patience it can be a very rewarding feeling when they "Finally" learn to trust. It is Great!