Sometimes I Can Hear My Cats Breathing

Selena800

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
is it normal?? I hug him and listen to he’s breathing looks normal to me but sometimes i can hear he’s breathing when im seating in sofa and he’s in hes cat tree

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does your cat have a flatter face? I can hear Alice breathing when she is sleeping and she has a flatter face, it's not to the extreme like a Persian but it is flatter then average.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would often hear my cats breathing depending on what position they are sleeping in. One of cats would often start to snore, but you should have seen some of the positions he found comfortable!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Selena800

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does your cat have a flatter face? I can hear Alice breathing when she is sleeping and she has a flatter face, it's not to the extreme like a Persian but it is flatter then average.
No my cat is not persian he’s 5 months old and very active

Selena800

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would often hear my cats breathing depending on what position they are sleeping in. One of cats would often start to snore, but you should have seen some of the positions he found comfortable!
Means it’s normal?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For my cats, yes.
If you only notice it once in a while, and they seem perfectly fine otherwise, I could just be they are breathing deeper, having dreams, are in a weird position,... and so you hear it more. I even noticed that sometimes my cat would fall asleep with his face shoved right up to something, he would then breath a bit harder, but would eventually move his face on his own. That's all normal (In MY experience).
If you notice labored breathing during these episodes, such as abdominal breathing (using their abs to force the air), or if their breath rate is fast (20-30 breaths per minute is normal, lower end if relaxed) then I would start to worry.
Also if the breathing sounds congested, "gurgley", wet or if there is wheezing...I would be concerned.

Selena800

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For my cats, yes.
If you only notice it once in a while, and they seem perfectly fine otherwise, I could just be they are breathing deeper, having dreams, are in a weird position,... and so you hear it more. I even noticed that sometimes my cat would fall asleep with his face shoved right up to something, he would then breath a bit harder, but would eventually move his face on his own. That's all normal (In MY experience).
If you notice labored breathing during these episodes, such as abdominal breathing (using their abs to force the air), or if their breath rate is fast (20-30 breaths per minute is normal, lower end if relaxed) then I would start to worry.
Also if the breathing sounds congested, "gurgley", wet or if there is wheezing...I would be concerned.
It’s like normal breathing how u go near cat face and hear their breath i compared with other cats it’s like them but louder sometimes he does this when he’s playing and when he’s sleeping I think not all the time sometimes i go near him i can not hear but sometimes im away i can hear

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Queen Bee makes all kinds of little snorts, grunts, and the kind of muted sound of a rusted screen door slowly opening when she, half awake, does a massive neck/leg stretch before falling fast asleep again.
Her half sister doesn't do it often, but when she's cold she'll curl up into a ball and cover her nose and face with her front paws/legs and she snores. She sounds like an elephant with a clogged trunk. :lol: I think she snores because her legs are half-blocking her nostrils.
I'm sure it's fine, but just keep an eye on it but don't obsess. If you notice him not playing, or wearing out quickly when he does, or his breathing increasing in any way, talk to your vet. :wave3:

Selena800

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Queen Bee makes all kinds of little snorts, grunts, and the kind of muted sound of a rusted screen door slowly opening when she, half awake, does a massive neck/leg stretch before falling fast asleep again.
Her half sister doesn't do it often, but when she's cold she'll curl up into a ball and cover her nose and face with her front paws/legs and she snores. She sounds like an elephant with a clogged trunk. :lol: I think she snores because her legs are half-blocking her nostrils.
I'm sure it's fine, but just keep an eye on it but don't obsess. If you notice him not playing, or wearing out quickly when he does, or his breathing increasing in any way, talk to your vet. :wave3:
Cute . No my baby is very active all the time he’s playing

albercheck

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I understand your concern! My cat also can be a noisy breather (when awake or asleep) and snores and I was super worried about it. Sometimes I can see that he is in a weird position/has his nose covered, and sometimes he looks normal. He also pants when he is stressed/over-heated, and once in a blue moon will randomly cough. His nose also runs a lot sometimes, usually in the morning when he wakes me up happily purring over my face, and then it drips on me. Gross.

I've asked three different vets about it, and after looking him over and listening to his lungs/heart they all say that he seems fine, and some cats are just noisy breathers. If his breathing seems labored, or he starts coughing consistently, then I should bring him in to get looked at. One vet offered to do x-rays, but we didn't think it was really necessary at the time and I didn't want to put him through that just because I was paranoid...