Something's wrong and can't afford CT scan/MRI

writingislove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Background:  Saturday night out of the blue, my 3 y.o. cat's arms began trembling horribly, followed by his head.  In total this lasted for about half a minute and then he settled down.  He lied on my lap for a few minutes and when he tried to get up and walk, his front limbs were limp and he simply flopped over.

Sunday morning his head was trembling terribly off and on for a half-hour period.  At that point I rushed him to the emergency vet and they put him on IV fluids and ran some blood work.  He was experiencing no other symptoms that I was aware of.

After the blood work indicated an electrolyte imbalance, the vet kept him overnight and gave him 24 hrs. of IV fluids.  They ran blood work twice the following day and both times it came back normal.  His vitals were normal and they didn't see his strange trembling/limp limb symptoms while he was there.  They discharged him and stated that if it were to happen again, the next step would be a CT scan and an MRI.

The first night he was home, he seemed okay.  However, I realized he seems much skinnier than usual so I set up a camera to watch his food dish and he only nibbled at his (dry) food very briefly.  Meanwhile, last night I noticed him trembling again.

Today I walked into the room where I keep his food and his paw was curled all strangely, and when he tried to walk he just wobbled and lost his balance.  For about half an hour, he couldn't jump up to his normal spot where he hangs out. 

Knowing he wasn't eating much of his dry food, I rushed to the store and bought some canned food.  He was ravenous when I presented him with the plate, and ate like he hadn't eaten in days. 

I'm at a loss here because his blood work is normal and his vitals are all good.  He's had dental problems so I wonder if the dry food hurts his mouth, but I don't know if being deprived of food would necessarily cause the trembling/limb thing going on.  I'm sick to my stomach because there is absolutely no way I can afford the MRI and CT scan.  I'm already out $1,000 from his visit over the weekend and the imaging will be thousands more.

Do his symptoms sound similar to anyone that might indicate something specific?  I am going to call my vet tomorrow, but if anyone has any thoughts it would be good to for when I discuss this with them....

sarah ann

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What electrolytes were imbalanced?

Tremors would indicate it is happening again. I would take him back to the vet. I had low potassium and started having seizures as a result .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

writingislove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Sarah Ann, I definitely want them to recheck his blood.  I believe his phosphorus level was way off.  He's been pretty lethargic tonight and it has me worried.  Given his weight loss and the way he's acting, I feel like whatever is going on isn't simply a neurological issue.  I'm calling the vet first thing in the morning.  :(