Something weird happened: Is it hierarchy problem or ghost?

catrepublic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Long story short, I adopted two sister cats, Ivy and Iris, two months ago and everything is perfect except for this past week.  Sometime, Ivy will stare at a particular area in my house (near their room) for no reason and occasionally  Iris too. It looks like they can see something is there, but I can't.  This past week, I feel that Ivy is not willing to enter her room. She will be very cautious (look around and careful steps as if a stranger is there) when she comes in to eat (even Iris will leave the room quickly after she finishes her meal).   Ivy who is the top cat always the first to eat and meow for food. Since yesterday, she seemed like she was not willing (she wants to, but something near her room that forbid her) to enter the room , I needed to carry her into she room, and she finished her meal. But, Iris entered and waited for her food and ate first. This morning, when Ivy entered the room to eat, Iris suddenly puffed up her tail toward Ivy. Ivy won't enter the room, I needed to feed her outside. She meow at the plate when I bring her food away from the food. She still eat,but not concentrated. She ate 1/4 -half of her usual amount and walked away. She will only eat when I am watching her. I put the plate back to her room and went dressing. When I came back, Ivy was approaching her bowl, but stopped once she see me (weird). Iris came and ate some of Ivy's food, which usually happened the other way around. I went to work and asked my brother who was at home. He said the food bowls were empty. I believed Ivy ate after I left because Iris had a small stomach and she is not a cat who love to eat a lot.  Also, Ivy is a dictator during play time, and for the past few weeks, she is holding back. She still play, but not the boss. However, Iris plays like crazy and becomes the new boss.  Beside everything above, I don't see any problem with Ivy and Iris. What are your opinions? It is a side story about the ghost, but it is really strange. Thanks 

Last edited by a moderator:

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats's senses are very keen. Ivy and Iris probably heard or smelled an insect or rodent behind the walls. Also they are both fairly new to the area and they are still getting used to their surroundings. So it is not surprising they will act a bit strange sometimes. 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with the above in that they are still fairly new to the home and something must have startled them that you are unaware of in their room. Although, if Ivy continues to be this way, not playing like she used to, the dictator, and not eating well then I would get her to the vet. Document these things going on so you can easily let the vet know when and how this all started. Sometimes it can be something medical going on. Hopefully this something scary will just pass and they will return to their room happily. You could always get a "Feliway" diffuser for that room as it may help. http://www.feliway.com/us/ :vibes::vibes::vibes: