Something Seems Wrong

sloan quinn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I feel like I've done all I could at this point, but I do wonder about y'alls take on this situation, whether there is anything I could have done/could still do differently, etc.

I noticed my cat (outdoor) was in labor tonight w/panting and light bleeding, etc. Second litter for her, the previous birth having apparently gone well (we were dealing with our own birth at the time, so a little distracted + she did it under the house) and she having been a good mother.

In effort to keep her from hurting herself trying to get under house again (we've closed off the holes in the skirting,) went to the old standby and put her in bathroom w/food+water+bedding and sat to keep calm while she was getting used to being inside - she's been in there before, so not totally new.

Spent a while looking around and crying when I wasn't petting her, climbed in my lap for a bit - she wanted to stand w/paws on my shoulders and sniff my hair - general prowling stuff, then settled down to business.

Pushed kitten out reasonably quickly, though more "pushes" than I've seen in previous cat labors - usually once the kit is actually coming I see 2 maybe 3 pushes and she did 5-7. Seemed to be pretty worn out at end, but she broke membranes and cleaned off kitten, which did the usual "teat? teat! can't find the teat!" dance of the brand new kitten. Placenta didn't deliver until nearly 2 hours later, when she picked kitten up and literally pulled it out. It wasn't that she couldn't push it out - it seemed (to me, anyway) that contrax. had stopped.

Before she did that, however, she jumped into bathtub (with k. hanging from her backside) and had a big (nasty) poop - all over kitten. o_O

Then pulled kitten out, jumped out of bathtub and laid down w/kitten. She did not make any move to either clean up kitten or cut the cord. Seemed distressed about the new aroma - it was BAD - so i poured hot water down tub to wash it all down and set about trying to disinfect w/o disturbing. In retrospect, wish i would have used something less pungent.

Still didn't move to help kitten. Eventually I cut the cord (after doing best to remove poop, and sanitizing scissors, of course) and she still did not try to clean kitten. Put kitten next to mama as he was pretty cold by that point. Not sure of prognosis there.

Cat was quiet until about where I typed "aroma", then sounds like she got up for another poo, and is now meowing. She was quite bloody - more blood than I've ever seen on a laboring cat.

At this point, I feel like it's in God's hands. Is there anything else I could have/should have done?

And please don't tell me about spaying/taking to vet, etc. These are farm cats - they're fed well besides whatever mice/gophers they manage to catch, and they really only show up to eat and drink. I really don't want to lose mama or any kittens - they deserve better - but if I moved mountains for every farm cat that got itself in a fix, I wouldn't have a farm left. If it weren't for her preference for the space beneath my water heater, I'd have let her labor outside where she would have undoubtedly been more comfortable.

UPDATE BEFORE POSTING: Just checked on them, Mama seems calm - no clue if there are more kittens - and bleeding seems to have slowed/stopped. Mama never did eat that placenta (not that I blame her as it's got poo on it.) Gonna have to dispose of it. Kitten is still filthy but feels like he's warmed up and is giving a pretty decent go at nursing. We'll see what happens, I suppose.

UPDATE #2 BEFORE POSTING: (I'm taking too long!) A second kitten was stillborn. The initial push seemed to be really difficult for mama, and she didn't move to break the membrane after kitten came out. I suppose an upshot is that it got her interested in cleaning off the other (now fairly energetic) kitten and herself. Can hear occasional kitten squeaks through the door. Really hoping there aren't too many more if they're coming this hard for her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sloan quinn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I want to add to this whole thing that while, yes, I allow my cats to get pregnant by way of not having them spayed, I personally provide for every single kitten, for however long they are around. The cruel fact of it is that in this area, kittens don't always last very long, either due to predators or the environment (there's lots of tall grass for young kittens to get lost in if they wander too far away) or natural causes. When that happens, I do notice, and it does make me sad.

Every one of my cats is either an adopted stray, the descendant of an adopted stray, or, in one case, a cat that someone decided to dump on the side of my country road and who was better than half dead when we found her (she's now the only cat routinely allowed inside, because she doesn't play well with others.) If another cat (besides the feral tomcat that I believe fathered these kittens, who is waay too agressive) were to show up at my house, I'd feed that cat, too.

I didn't set out to be a cat lady, but I do recognize that if these kittens were to go to shelters, there's no way they'd all make it to good homes, and I won't take any animal to any shelter that isn't no-kill. Not too many of those around here.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What is your question?

There's one kitten who is apparently nursing, and another stillborn.

Have you checked to see if she's delivered any more yet?

Do you have an old towel down for her in the bathroom? Can you put a bowl of food and a bowl of water in there for her? She may need some sustenance. Sounds like she had a rough time.

Very kind of you to bring her in. Perhaps tomorrow you can find a box for her to nest in and move her to a quiet corner in the house.

Last edited:

sloan quinn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, she's got food, water, and bedding in there. I'd put a litter pan in, but she's been moving around enough I'm concerned it'd be a danger to any kittens that end up in it. I don't mind cleaning up in cases like this.

I checked a minute ago, and she hasn't delivered the placenta from the stillborn kitten. It's still attached. Again, contrax. seem to have stopped.

I guess I'm wondering whether I should be truly concerned about her pace and behavior, for one. It seems to me that in the past, I've always seen the placenta delivered very shortly after the kitten. And she seems...I dunno, resigned, I guess. It definitely seems different than the usual calm of a cat waiting for the next round, though I suppose that could be my own worry talking to me. She purrs and kneads when I go check on her, so perhaps...

She's a good cat. Her name is Fancy, and when her mama disappeared shortly after they both had litters, she adopted the orphaned kittens (her siblings, I guess.) She's not hugely sociable, but she's real good about keeping critters away from the house, and she's been a great mama up until tonight (which I'm thinking isn't really her fault, honestly.) I'd just hate to wake up in the morning (I do need to get some sleep) to having lost her.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Yes, she's got food, water, and bedding in there. I'd put a litter pan in, but she's been moving around enough I'm concerned it'd be a danger to any kittens that end up in it. I don't mind cleaning up in cases like this.

I checked a minute ago, and she hasn't delivered the placenta from the stillborn kitten. It's still attached. Again, contrax. seem to have stopped.

I guess I'm wondering whether I should be truly concerned about her pace and behavior, for one. It seems to me that in the past, I've always seen the placenta delivered very shortly after the kitten. And she seems...I dunno, resigned, I guess. It definitely seems different than the usual calm of a cat waiting for the next round, though I suppose that could be my own worry talking to me. She purrs and kneads when I go check on her, so perhaps...

She's a good cat. Her name is Fancy, and when her mama disappeared shortly after they both had litters, she adopted the orphaned kittens (her siblings, I guess.) She's not hugely sociable, but she's real good about keeping critters away from the house, and she's been a great mama up until tonight (which I'm thinking isn't really her fault, honestly.) I'd just hate to wake up in the morning (I do need to get some sleep) to having lost her.
So you suspect there is something really wrong with her?

The only safe way to get knowledge is a good vet checking up.  Not just some big animal practicioner, but someone who is good with cats, preferably an experienced obstetrician...   And you had hinted, such vets are to look at the blue moon after at your place, even if you did afford...

So, we must try and find something conservatively, which cant hurt but my help her, as far isnt nothing really bad surgetical....

Continue in next post

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is she used to drink cow milk?   Or even, do you perhaps have access to goats milk?

If so, give it to her.

Otherwise,  plain youghurt, or a little cheese...  Gives both some energhy AND is a calcium source...

Some extra energy, by either having some glucose sugar (=dextrose) or glucose syrup, or white caro syrup, or honey, on her lips and gum - just a couple of drops is enough.

Or having some such into her drinking water.  If so, add also a little salt - making it into a version of home made pedialyte.       Its about 1 tea spoon sugar source in a coffe cup... Making it barely but noticeably sweet in human taste.

Of course, be sure she is warm and comfortable.

If you have more ideas, use them.

OK, and if she dies... You have one alive kitten...  The same goat milk is excellent for her.    We dont recommend cow milk for kittens, but if you have unpasteriezed cow milk, its probably less dnagerous than pasturized cow milk - more easy to digest, and does have some natural lactose enzymes, which are destroyed in pasteurizing...

Good luck!

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
To me personally, it sounds like mom went into labor rather suddenly and got shocked/overwhelmed because of it. Her mom-feelings still need to start, and I think that now that the kitten is nursing she will soon realize what she has to do as she has been a mom before. It's best to weight the still alive kitten, to make sure she's drinking properly. If so, try to refrain from interfearing as much as you can, but make sure it's healthy and not getting sick due to being pooped on (there is some infection risk).

Is she still in labor? You need to be sure the placenta comes out, because if it remains inside it can cause nasty infections that you do not want. If it still hasn't come out, you really do need to see a vet. If she does get an infection, she can die. She also can no longer take care of her kittens if she does, and you will need to take over feeding it every 2 hours including during the night (the latter also needs to happen if she's not drinking or growing properly)

I think her contractions are weak (can have different reasons), and thus after the kittens are born, they stop even though the placenta is not yet delivered. This can easily be solved by the vet giving her a shot to enhance her contractions, though he needs to be sure it's save to give (eg. being sure there are no kittens stuck/younger(2 dad litter)).

Please update us soon. I hope everything is going well, and that the kitten that was still alive is doing good.

Last edited:

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just want to add, you might be able to contact a Humane Society or shelter and see if they will help you with TNR, trap-neuter/spay-return. I know some places do it for free or very low cost. I know its very stressful to care for many cats but as long as they are allowed to breed like this, it will not ever end. I do hope that this mama cat and her babies do well. I am worried she may have still a kitten inside, may possibly need to have to be spayed and kitten hand-reared unless they do a flank spay. Maybe if you called around town and explained the situation, a Vet may work with you.

sloan quinn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Alright, so today mama and kitten both seem to be alright. The stillborn kitten's placenta delivered, and she moved it away from the living kitten and got that one cleaned up. It's moving around and crying occasionally and drinking like it should be now, all dry and cord stump dried up as a day-old kitten's should be. Mama went outside for a stretch for about 1/2 hour - DH kept an eye on her to make sure she didn't go curl up around some other kittens perhaps delivered before she came in (she didn't.) I took the opportunity to find a box for the kitten and get the floor cleaned up and disinfected - left the kitten in the same room when I was done,of course, and made sure to let the room air out.

Mama came back when she was done with her walkabout - she's still walking a little gingerly, but it seems to be getting better - and went right to kitten like she should.

All in all, I guess it's the best outcome I could have hoped for. I know there's still a possibility mama or kitten could have complications, but everyone seems alright now.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Alright, so today mama and kitten both seem to be alright. The stillborn kitten's placenta delivered, and she moved it away from the living kitten and got that one cleaned up. It's moving around and crying occasionally and drinking like it should be now, all dry and cord stump dried up as a day-old kitten's should be. Mama went outside for a stretch for about 1/2 hour - DH kept an eye on her to make sure she didn't go curl up around some other kittens perhaps delivered before she came in (she didn't.) I took the opportunity to find a box for the kitten and get the floor cleaned up and disinfected - left the kitten in the same room when I was done,of course, and made sure to let the room air out.

Mama came back when she was done with her walkabout - she's still walking a little gingerly, but it seems to be getting better - and went right to kitten like she should.

All in all, I guess it's the best outcome I could have hoped for. I know there's still a possibility mama or kitten could have complications, but everyone seems alright now.
Splendid!  Tx for the report,  yes, its the best outcome.  Not everything 100% so so, you were probably right, she was in crisis.  If she had more kittens, it wouldnt go well, not without a good vet assisting.

But as fate has it, there wasnt not more kittens.    The Angel of Death took one kitten,  and was contend with that fetch...

If she continues to improve, and there are other kittens in need of a mother and littermates, consider her as foster mom...   It will help the lonely kitten to have more pals to play and wrestle with...

My earlier advice stands, be sure she gets good food, and especielly, something containing calcium.

Please continue to report and ask questions.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Glad to hear such a good update.