Something On My Cats Gum

Sadee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat was just licking himself, I saw this and I have no idea what it is. Hes 7 years old, he went to the vet not too long ago and he was healthy.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry no one has responded yet. I can't tell from the pic, is that on his tongue or gum? Does it seem to be bothering him? Is he eating OK?

When he saw the vet, did the vet check his mouth? Is your vet able to accept pics? If so, I would send one to them and then call them as a follow up to ensure someone looks at it. If that won't work, I would call them and explain what you are seeing and request an appointment as soon as possible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sadee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry no one has responded yet. I can't tell from the pic, is that on his tongue or gum? Does it seem to be bothering him? Is he eating OK?
When he saw the vet, did the vet check his mouth? Is your vet able to accept pics? If so, I would send one to them and then call them as a follow up to ensure someone looks at it. If that won't work, I would call them and explain what you are seeing and request an appointment as soon as possible.
It is his gum and hes eating fine. His doctor always looks at his teeth, it wasn't there when he went, I believe it's more recent. I hate looking things up because they say the worst possible things, I think I'm just gonna watch it for the next week or two, then contact the vet. I was thinking of some things it could maybe be, maybe a canker sore or he poked himself with something, I cant find any pictures that look like it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I still think you should mention it to your vet - sooner rather than later. Even though you don't want it be anything major, on the off-chance that it is then the quicker it is identified and taken care of the better for both of you.

Keep an eye on the size and see if it is growing. If it seems even a bit larger tomorrow, I wouldn't be wasting any time talking to the vet about it.

Edited: Btw the way, I remembered you had a previous post about Sammy and him throwing up. Was that ever resolved? Could it be related to a mild version of stomatitis? The reason I ask is because stomatitis can lead to mouth ulcers. Not trying to scare you, but just concerned for Sammy.

Last edited:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I couldnt find any photos that looks similar either. As Feebysowner mentioned, I would send a photo to your vet and ask him what he thinks. Chances are he has come across it before.

Sadee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I still think you should mention it to your vet - sooner rather than later. Even though you don't want it be anything major, on the off-chance that it is then the quicker it is identified and taken care of the better for both of you.

Keep an eye on the size and see if it is growing. If it seems even a bit larger tomorrow, I wouldn't be wasting any time talking to the vet about it.

Edited: Btw the way, I remembered you had a previous post about Sammy and him throwing up. Was that ever resolved? Could it be related to a mild version of stomatitis? The reason I ask is because stomatitis can lead to mouth ulcers. Not trying to scare you, but just concerned for Sammy.
Yes there is a good update, he went to the vet and he was 100% healthy, he had no mouth ulcers, he didnt lose any weight, he actually gained 2 pounds. His doctor mentioned about a possible ulcer in his stomach caused by 6 months of steroid use, hes currently on a diet because hes very overweight.

Sadee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I couldnt find any photos that looks similar either. As Feebysowner mentioned, I would send a photo to your vet and ask him what he thinks. Chances are he has come across it before.
I'll definitely contact the vet, I'll have to wait until Monday because they're closed already. Also, I've never emailed the vet before , do I just ask them their opinion on it? Sorry yall I'm such a noob at this.
Thank you all a lot, I'm hoping it's something minor.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If the vet has an email address and are able to accept photo attachments, you can send it to them. But, I would never do that without a up-front call to find out. And, if they do accept them, I also would never not do a follow up call to see if they got it and when to expect someone to look at it.

I too hope it is a minor issue. It will be a relief for sure!!

Sadee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If the vet has an email address and are able to accept photo attachments, you can send it to them. But, I would never do that without a up-front call to find out. And, if they do accept them, I also would never not do a follow up call to see if they got it and when to expect someone to look at it.

I too hope it is a minor issue. It will be a relief for sure!!
I appreciate your time, thank you so much.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Looks like a resorptive lesion. I recommend that you take your cat to the vet, either the regular one or a veterinary dentist, to have the issue looked into. A dental is the only to to resolve resportive lesions and they may still come back even with home dental care. Some cats are just prone to resorptive lesions because of genetics.

Sadee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Looks like a resorptive lesion. I recommend that you take your cat to the vet, either the regular one or a veterinary dentist, to have the issue looked into. A dental is the only to to resolve resportive lesions and they may still come back even with home dental care. Some cats are just prone to resorptive lesions because of genetics.
I cant find any picture that looks like what he has on his gum, hes not in pain, I cant take him to the vet until 2 weeks from now . I'm afraid its gonna be something worse than that, I'm worried.

Sadee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just realized I haven't updated y'all on my cat Sammy.

The red growth in his mouth was looked at by his doctor, since it had shrunk and hes not shown any signs of chronic illness she said it was nothing to worry about.
His paws have been good since his first flare out in 2017.
He also lost weight via diet, he went from 17 pounds to 12.5!
Hes a healthy almost 9 year old cat, acts like a kitten still.

Attachments

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the update on Sammy, that's fantastic news! :thumbsup: Glad he still acts like a kitten at almost 9 yrs. old.:runningcat:

Sadee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also I forgot to mention he is FIV negative :hyper::hyper: