Something is wrong with my cat....

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Last night he vomited twice which is not all that abnormal, but I noticed he didn't want to move after which is a bit strange. This morning he isn't moving around much at all and gives off kind of a strange meow. He also is refusing breakfast which now has me worried out of my mind. My vet isn't open on the weekend and I will be calling my vet first thing in the morning if the worst doesn't happen. There isn't an emergency place I can take him to as they are to far for me to drive. I don't have a clue what is wrong.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does your vet have an answering service for emergencies, many do. This does sound serious. I would keep him warm, try to get him to drink some water to stay hydrated. Is he allowed outside? If so the dangers are multiplied greatly. I will pray for your little one......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does your vet have an answering service for emergencies, many do. This does sound serious. I would keep him warm, try to get him to drink some water to stay hydrated. Is he allowed outside? If so the dangers are multiplied greatly. I will pray for your little one......
no they don't sadly. He is indoor only, and he was fine yesterday it was about 9pm when he puked/acting strange.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, being indoors helps to narrow down the possibilities. Have you changed food at all lately? Did he have ANY kind of milk products, ice cream, cottage cheese, milk? (most cats are lactose intolerant as they age and can get sick) Any mouse poison or bug spray around? Could he have swallowed tooth floss, ribbon, anything? Has he used the litter box to poop lately?

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, being indoors helps to narrow down the possibilities. Have you changed food at all lately? Did he have ANY kind of milk products, ice cream, cottage cheese, milk? (most cats are lactose intolerant as they age and can get sick) Any mouse poison or bug spray around? Could he have swallowed tooth floss, ribbon, anything? Has he used the litter box to poop lately?
Everything is normal, I did can some jalapeño peppers yesterday I tried to clean up everything but I can help but wonder if he got ahold of a seed? I haven’t seen him at the litter box but they normally use it at night while I’m asleep. He is always trying to eat my yarn but I have it up and hasn’t seen any slobber on any of the ends so I don’t think that’s it. He did eat a cricket recently but he doesn’t normally have a problem with them.... so I’m not sure. I did get him to eat some cat lax and part of a squeeze treat bag thingy....

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, keep those lickable treats around for when they don't eat, it can be a lifesaver at times. i give Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors. It is the only thing they will take a few licks of when their leukemia symptoms flare up. It MAY have something to do with the canning, maybe the smells got to him? How is he doing now?

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, keep those lickable treats around for when they don't eat, it can be a lifesaver at times. i give Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors. It is the only thing they will take a few licks of when their leukemia symptoms flare up. It MAY have something to do with the canning, maybe the smells got to him? How is he doing now?
Still the same doesn't want to be around me, doesn't want to move much, when he does move he kind of hunched down.

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I figured I would give this little update, I opened all the doors and windows that I can to flush out any of the spices still in the air from yesterday’s canning, he is not eating or drinking yet but he is now more alert and relaxed. Even giving more of a reaction when I talk to him. Low humidity is a migraine trigger of mine so I will end up with one later today but seeing him moving around is with it all. Even if he starts eating again I will still call the vet in the morning. Maybe they might have an idea of which spice he is also sensitive to if that is indeed the issue.

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Original post

Today was his appointment and even though he had been acting better I’m so glad I kept the app and took him. He has gone from 17 or 15 pounds (sadly i can’t remember which it was) to 13 since the last time they saw him. Looks like it was possibly April 19. Some of the weight that came off was from removing a second food source, aka he can’t eat the other cats food anymore. Anyways other then the fast weight loss he was dehydrated, the vet said at bare minimum they didn’t want him leaving without hydration. So they did that an anti nausea shot and checked his urine to make sure he was diabetic. They said if he doesn’t bounce back in the next 24 hours that he has to go back for more bloodwork to check his kidneys and thyroid.