Something as affordable as Friskies pate, without Carrageenan?

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, when I got my first kitten earlier this year (winnie), I had intentions to feed her the best I could afford. That was I guess what would be considered mid-range with a few high-end options in rotation. It was actually difficult to find a few brands for her because she was such a picky kitten.
When we got Tuck, I had to cut most of the "high-end" options out because it was just too expensive to feed two like that. Also two kittens, I guess, who eat a lot more.
Now with this boy we rescued from the streets... I think I'm going to have to downgrade us once again. It makes me sad, but I want to keep feeding wet food, and unfortunately I can't feed 3 cats expensive wet food :(

Right now the kittens are getting Tiny Tiger pates (turkey and beef are the only flavors they like), Fancy Feast pates (turkey), and I've discovered they REALLY love Friskies Prime Fillets, which I know isn't as healthy/calorie dense as the pates but they won't touch the pates. A few times a week they'll get a Merrick purrfect bistro rabbit pate, or a merrick backcountry kitten pouch. However I bought those before the addition of a 3rd cat, not sure I can buy them again. The friskies was a very new addition, and I have been watching their poo, I was worried about the wheat gluten, but so far it has been fine.

The stray cat I've been feeding Tiny Tiger mostly. I get the variety pack of chicken, turkey and beef and the kittens HATE the chicken but he eats it up. But it only comes in 3oz cans. I've been trying to give him some Friskies as well - much bigger cans - he doesn't like the prime fillets, or rather, he licks all the gravy and leaves the meaty bits until he is really hungry... however, the pates seem to not agree with him. He seems to be getting runny stool every time I try the Friskies pates. The biggest difference in the Tiny Tiger pates, and Friskies, I think, is the Carrageenan in Friskies. I think he must be sensitive to it, so I do not want to keep trying it. Prime Fillets does not contain Carrageenan, but it does have wheat gluten, however his tummy seems fine with that, when he eats it..but he doesn't like them.

Are there any pates similar in cost to Friskies without Carrageenan? I can get a 24 pack from Chewy of 5.5oz cans for $13. Tiny Tiger is $13 for 24 3oz cans.. so the Tiny Tiger is nearly double the price per ounce.

Also, for those familiar with Chewy, is there a way to show only cans that come in 5oz or higher?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
When you're on Chewy, try typing in the search field; 5 oz canned cat food
Also, they have a sort feature of price options, scroll down as you're looking at the left-hand side, so that may help you too :)

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Friskies has a lot of organ meat, which can cause diarrhea/runny stools. He may outgrow any issues as his gut matures, he may not. Adding a probiotic, like FortiFlora by Purina, may help too.

In the meantime, if the others tolerate it, keep the pate in the mixture. I also have 3 cats and feed wet and dry, so I understand your $$$ pains! Evie can't have anything with chicken as the 1st ingredient, so while I keep some of that food on hand for Emerson and Dexter, Evie gets something else. They don't *have* to have the same food when you feed them. For example, let the other two share a can of Friskies, and give him some TT or FF. That can help keep costs down.

I know there is a lot of information about carageenan, but at the end of the day, Friskies is a very appropriate food- meat, organs, vitamins, and water. That's it. Cat's don't need spinach, or carrots, or tomatoes. I feed the Poultry Platter and every now and again, the Tuna and Chicken.