Someone´s cat has decided to move to our place. What to do?

Nafty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone!
We've recently moved to a new house (rented), and after a few evenings, we noticed a cat that would sit by our backyard glass door and stare inside.
We opened the door, and she was scared but friendly. We petted her and let her go.
However, she was staring at us through the door each morning and evening, like in a good horror movie :))
We thought that maybe the previous tenants fed her, and after a week, we gave up and bought some food. I think that was our mistake.
She has started to come more often and stay for longer.
We are not allowed to have pets at the house, so it was ok when she would come and go for occasional treats, but now, after several weeks, it has gone out of hand.
She is basically living at our house; she comes in the morning, sleeps in the chair, and sometimes leaves for a short break in the afternoon. She spends nights at our house too, leaving at around 5 pm and coming back after a few hours.

Neighbours don´t communicate much in our community, so we asked if someone knew whose cat it was, but people weren´t sure. But she definitely didn´t look stray or feral when she first came.

I doubt her owners (if she has any) are happy with her disappearance.
Our landlord absolutely won't be happy to find her on the premises.
Also, we are also going on vacation in a month, so we won't be home for about 3–4 weeks.

Should we stop feeding her and letting her inside the house? I'm worried she will be stressed and confused.
Also, what worries me is that sometimes we leave for the whole day, and when we come back late, she will be sitting on the fence waiting. If she sees that there is no one at home, why does she prefer to wait for us instead of going to her actual owners?

In hindsight, we shouldn´t have fed a cat we assumed had owners in the first place. But what's done is done.
What would be the best way to deal with the situation now?

Thank you!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would bet maybe the previous tenants fed her too. She may not have a home. The best bet would be to take several photos of her and walk around the neighborhood and see if she belongs to anyone. If she does, problem solved If she doesn't, I would try to find another neighbor and give them some food to put out at your place while you are gone so you don't worry, or if you don't have raccoons, etc. around you could buy one of those gravity feeders for cats at Walmart, etc. and leave a big amount of hard food out for her. maybe up on a table and inside a large tote up against the house, to keep it away from rain and vermin. You might go on Facebook and try to find her home or a home fro her, you never know.....Bless you for helping her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nafty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would bet maybe the previous tenants fed her too. She may not have a home. The best bet would be to take several photos of her and walk around the neighborhood and see if she belongs to anyone. If she does, problem solved If she doesn't, I would try to find another neighbor and give them some food to put out at your place while you are gone so you don't worry, or if you don't have raccoons, etc. around you could buy one of those gravity feeders for cats at Walmart, etc. and leave a big amount of hard food out for her. maybe up on a table and inside a large tote up against the house, to keep it away from rain and vermin. You might go on Facebook and try to find her home or a home fro her, you never know.....Bless you for helping her.

Thank you for the answer!

I like her a lot, and I'd be really happy to adopt her if she doesn't have owners. But we live in a small village and we were extremely lucky to find a place to rent. So if our landlord kicks us out, all three of us will not have a home. ☹

Before we go looking for her owners (I really do hope she´s someone´s), do you think we should limit her food and access to the house?

Right now, for example, she went somewhere and came back in 30 minutes. She seems to do this every day, but I can't follow her as she jumps over the fence, and I don't have access to that location to spy on her. But she is back already and is sitting on the fence, waiting for me to open the door. She can't see me, so I can pretend I'm not at home for several hours. Do you think it would be a good idea to make her understand that our doors are not always open for her?
I´m concerned that it will reinforce the wrong pattern: "wait for as long as you can, and the door will finally open". Instead of "this door is closed, go home". (Also, it breaks my heart though to look at her waiting outside :( )

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats live by routine. If you develop a time and how long, she will learn it. I would hope your landlord wouldnt hold an outside cat against you. She is visiting inside your house, not actually living there. Thank goodness cats are quiet and usially dont destroy anything!

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Definitely check with your neighbors, and also put up on any neighborhood/city websites for lost pets. As you are unable to keep her, begin researching your area for the best no kill pet shelters and rescues. You will need to make phone calls on who has availability. If you are not able to find an owner, I think it would be best for her to be at a good shelter or foster home, than alone outside for the month you are gone.

Edited to say- get a breakaway collar for her and attach a note. If the note is not taken, she’s likely a stray.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
If you live in the US or Canada try the next door app. Many people move and leave their cats as strays

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree about trying to find an owner, if there is one. And, if that doesn't pan out, please do call around to rescue centers or shelters and find one that will take her. She deserves to find a home if she doesn't have one. I suspect she was abandoned as mentioned above, and it very well might be the people who lived there before you who had her as an indoor/outdoor cat and then left her behind when they moved. As tough of a position that this has placed you in, don't ignore her hoping she will go away.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Years ago my apartment had a beautiful stray. Numerous people fed her. I followed her and some one was having her as an indoor outdoor pet. Later abandoned. I saw her again years ago. Very over weight and lost alot of fur and discolored. Never saw her again. Probably didn't make it. If no luck try trrapping her and see if she has a microchip. If not take pics,print,take to restaurants,pet stores,rescues