Someone HELP!

alenabostick

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My husband and I are at out wits end with our one and only cat Swanson. He is a 1 year old male silver tabby and his favorite thing to do is pee on our (expensive and still not paid off) couch. We have tried absolutely everything we can think of and everything we have possibly ever looked up. I am so tired of sitting down and sitting in a huge puddle of pee. Its exhausting. We have tried changing litters, moving the cat boxes, adding another box, deep cleaning the couch and putting food on every piece of the sectional, covering the box, uncovering the box. Nothing is working and nothing has worked. I'm terrified that my husband will make us get rid of him which I just simply will not do. We have had him since he was a kitten. I have no idea why he is doing it. Someone please help us! 

uniqms95

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you been to the vet to rule out any medical cause like a urinary tract infection?

nbrazil

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Before assuming it is a behavioral thing, always have the animal checked out medically.

There are sooooooo many reasons for this if it behavioral. Often something territorial (like seeing/smelling another cat through the window/door) will make a cat feel like it has to claim territory this way, for ONE example. It really is specific to your situation.

The cat isn't being bad, it is being a cat, a rather simple animal responding to something in its life that is disturbing it and taking control in the only way it knows how.

Until someone with the experience to ask you the right questions comes along (and it may take some investigation on your part), I recommend watching a whole lot of "My Cat From H*ll" episodes so that you will see that it really is individual - and when you identify exactly what the trigger is, then it can be addressed.

There is more going on than meets the eye (or what you have shared), at least in the cat's brain.

Good luck.

sparta05

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

My husband and I are at out wits end with our one and only cat Swanson. He is a 1 year old male silver tabby and his favorite thing to do is pee on our (expensive and still not paid off) couch.
Usually when cats do something like that, it's because they're either stressed out or mad at you. Have you had any big changes in your life recently? Even something as simple as rearranging a room? My old cat Asus (R.I.P little bud <3) was an outdoor cat, and I lived with my mother with him for the first 2 years of his life, and when I moved out into an apartment where he wasn't able to go outside just on the deck... he suddenly was acting out and had diarrhea on my futon.  Cats can't really speak to us other than by their actions when they're upset about something.  Try retracing your most recent changes....

Hopefully that helps, good luck!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alenabostick

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the responses! We haven't taken him to the vet recently but he was in great health last time we took him and he doesn't seem to have a uti hes not urinating frequently just whenever he goes pee its on our couch. Maybe he is upset about our dog we adopted but we got him several months ago and this behavior has started about 2 months ago. He is a strictly indoor cat so maybe he is mad about not being able to go outside but I do not think we have done anything to deserve him being mad or upset with us he gets fed on a schedule twice daily and we never miss it he has tons of cat toys a large cat tree and basically his own room. Thanks for the replies again I'll try taking him into the vet to see if there is something medically wrong with him. 

sparta05

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

He is a strictly indoor cat so maybe he is mad about not being able to go outside but I do not think we have done anything to deserve him being mad or upset with us he gets fed on a schedule twice daily and we never miss it he has tons of cat toys a large cat tree and basically his own room.
Just a long shot, but maybe try rotating out the toys every couple weeks at at a time.  That might help with the problem, maybe he's just bored and that's his way of telling you... kind of a bummer way to do it though.

alenabostick

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good idea Sparta! Thanks for helping out I'll try anything at this point :) 

sparta05

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good luck Alena! Having problems like this, and a possibility of getting rid of your fur baby isn't fun at all.. I'm struggling a bit myself, but progress is happening =) Just have faith iny our little kitty, it'll come in time!

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I don't see it mentioned; but, I am assuming Swanson is neutered?

Good for getting him to the vet.

alenabostick

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Swanson is neutered he got fixed about 4 months ago. Our couch is right next to our sliding glass door and lanai but we are on the second floor so it can't be feral cats which there are 350,000+ on Oahu alone.. sad :/ but maybe a neighbors cat since our lanais are stacked one on top of the other. Thanks for giving me such good ideas to ponder I may be re arranging my living room!

sparta05

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Swanson is neutered he got fixed about 4 months ago. Our couch is right next to our sliding glass door and lanai but we are on the second floor so it can't be feral cats which there are 350,000+ on Oahu alone.. sad :/ but maybe a neighbors cat since our lanais are stacked one on top of the other. Thanks for giving me such good ideas to ponder I may be re arranging my living room!
Doesn't hurt, and change is always nice once in awhile =) Let me know how that rearranging goes! I'm curious to the outcome.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad you are having him see the vet.  Cats are notorious at hiding pain so it can be easy to miss symptoms.  

Also be sure you are cleaning with a good enzyme cleaner to remove the scent to his nose's standards.  They can smell what we cannot; it can take more than one cleaning.  I have used Nature's Miracle but there are others.  

As others said; there could be a myriad of reasons.  It could be the dog; it could be the scent of an un-neutered male nearby.  Rearranging so the couch isn't near the glass doors is a good idea!  I'm happy to hear he has a cat tree and a good routine.  Those are things I'd suggest if you didn't already have/do them.  Some cats are more sensitive to change than others.  Some notice things we don't!  

Keep us updated on how it's going!