Someone help me please :-D? LDG, Carolina, Sharky and all the other pros :-)

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi All,

As some of you know, I feed whole live prey, to all my cats. Which, is offered twice daily. Plus, Evo dry food (Chicken and Turkey formula) is left out, for, them to eat in between feedings. My terminally ill, DLH, is also given a mix of Wellness wet and dry food (Evo, TOTW, Dick Van Paten's L.I.D. and whatever else, I can get in 2-4lb bags, that is grain free) . Since, sometimes, she does not want the whole prey. I just want her to eat. My other two, DSH's, sometimes, eat the mix of the Wellness canned and the above dry foods. But, they, like the F3 Savannah, mainly, eat the whole live prey and Evo dry. The live prey, in the rotation, is as follows: mice, rats, quail, 5 day old chicks, and sometimes rabbits.

Okay, so, the point of this is: I am getting another cat. I will be getting a marble male F2 Savannah. I am however, not so thrilled, with, the diet he is eating. Now, in all fairness, the breeder, is in the hospital. So, her husband is in charge of the cattery. He loves the cats and they love him. However, she spends, a great deal of money, feeding these cats. She feeds: whole live prey, canned Evo, and Evo dry. Plus, some fresh frozen whole prey and bone in meats. Anyway, her husband wanted, to "try and save money". So, he is feeding this litter of F2 kittens Purina kitten Chow dry, Authority kitten dry and Meow Mix dry.

Not surprisingly, the kittens LOVE it. I have nothing against dry food. My cats, eat about 25% (sometimes more and sometimes less) dry food. However, "the normal and healthy ones" eat Evo. I wouldn't want any of my cats eating: Purina Kitten Chow, Authority Kitten and Meow Mix. In all fairness, Authority, isn't horrible. But, still, IMHO not that good either.

Anyway, how do I get said kitten, onto, either wet food, ideally EVO 95% meats or whole prey. The breeder and I (yes, I have visted, the kitten, many many time) have tried, to get Zuko, to eat wet food or prey. I have tried, the following wet foods: Evo, Before Gain, Wellness, Fancy Feast (in hopes, he, might eat it) Friskies (in hopes, he, might eat it), Authority Kitten wet, and Purina One wet. He will eat NONE of it. I left cans, with, the breeders husband. The F1, F4, F5 queens and F5C stud, where, thrilled with the cans

I have tried, both, whole live prey and dead prey, on the kitten. He will play with it. But, wouldn't eat it. The F1 queen, was, very happy with that too

Lastly, I tried Evo dry, mixed, with the above foods. No luck
. The kitten, just, picked out the Evo.

So, I am stumped. I will be getting the kitten, in about a month, when, he is 12 weeks old.

Thank you all, in advance

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wow, I'm none of the people you wanted advice from, but I've just got to say that I'm kind of shocked that a kitten that young isn't even willing to try raw, even after watching his mom eat it!.  That's insane.  But what about trying crushing some of that less than desirable kibble that he's currently eating on top of what you want him to eat to lure him to eat it.  That often works.  Just a thought.  Maybe once he tastes the "better for him" stuff, he'll realize what he's been missing

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow - I agree with Sally. That's just really odd! Having never transitioned to whole prey let alone live prey, I have no clue what to suggest. But for transitioning to canned, at this point, I wouldn't really worry about getting the breeder's hubby to feed it to him, just work on it when he's with you. The only tricks I know are

1) pulling free fed kibble completely AND
2) using something they love on top of it. So you'll have to figure out what that is.

You may have to make the canned food soupy so he has to lap at it - that may (or may not) help. Finding the right texture can be part of the issue. My cats hated pate at first, but when fed pouches, loved the gravy. So I had to turn "pate" style foods into "gravy" using a small blender and warm water.

Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you! :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow - I agree with Sally.
Originally Posted by mrsgreenjeens  

Wow, I'm none of the people you wanted advice from,

I am sorry. I hope, your, feelings are not hurt
. I want EVERYONE'S advice.

but I've just got to say that I'm kind of shocked that a kitten that young isn't even willing to try raw, even after watching his mom eat it!. 

I am shocked too. I mean, by this point, I would have thought, the kitten, would have gotten the idea too

That's insane.

and
, I agree wholeheartedly!!!

But what about trying crushing some of that less than desirable kibble that he's currently eating on top of what you want him to eat to lure him to eat it.

GREAT IDEA! I didn't think of it! Neither did the breeder's husband or anyone else. I will suggest that to him tonight. I will however, try your suggestion, myself, when, I visit the kitten Wednesday and Friday.

That often works.

I really hope so.

Just a thought.

A really great thought indeed

Maybe once he tastes the "better for him" stuff, he'll realize what he's been missing

Lets hope
!

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, my feelings are not in the least hurt
.  Seriously...those other ladies are WAY MORE knowledgeable than I am.  It's just that since no one had replied, I thought I'd put in my two cents

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know, I'm usually here all the time. :lol3:

But ANYONE that's transitioned (and let's face it Sally, you've had more challenges than most so are like an expert at this point!) will have helpful advice!

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know, I'm usually here all the time.

No, my feelings are not in the least hurt

I am glad, your, feelings are not hurt

Seriously...those other ladies are WAY MORE knowledgeable than I am. 

I am sure, you, are just as knowledgeable, as them. It's just, well, Carolina, has the patients of a saint, when, it comes to cats. In general, I miss Sharky's helpful post. LDG, is well, always around
. LDG, is another very knowledgeable cat saint, IMHO,

It's just that since no one had replied, I thought I'd put in my two cents

I am glad, you replied! Your idea worked
. I went to visit the breeder today. All three kittens, would eat the Evo, if, the other dry food(s) where sprinkled on top. Even better news, the kittens, would eat the wet food, with, the other dry foods, mixed with it. Last, but not least, my little boy, ate his first live hopper today

***Hopper- is a baby mouse, that, is cover in fur, but, still doesn't have it's eyes opened***

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Gross, but

.  Don't get me wrong...I think raw food is great..I just don't think I can ever go so far as to feed LIVE raw.  But more power to you

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gross, but

.  Don't get me wrong...I think raw food is great..I just don't think I can ever go so far as to feed LIVE raw.  But more power to you
Yea, I have fed live food to various reptiles and amphibians, I have kept and bred over the years. Plus, I have fed, live food to some different soft billed birds, that, I breed. So, I am just used to feeding live food. But, having my F3 Savannah, on said food, has improved his pica issues and helped my sanity

Thank you again, for, your great advice
!

Last edited: