TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
They have deeper reptile bowls too. The shallow ones are for food I think.

Exo Terra Reptile Water Dish, X-Large - Chewy.com

Zoo Med Repti Rock Reptile Water Dish, X-Large - Chewy.com

I prefer the Exo-Terra bowls, as they're quite heavy so they don't tip as easily when a snake gets enthusiastic. The Zoo Med bowls are good, too, and lighter weight if that's a factor (if you have to carry them very far it might be!).
The Exo-Terra one was the one I wanted to order!

Only thing is that the rocks in this area are pretty much white, so the color would stand out :(

It was tough to find a whiteish one. Most of the ones meant for reptiles a brown, orange and black, but a lot of the ones for hermit crabs are more white for some reason. I managed to find a big one, so we’ll see.

If it doesn’t work out, I’ll order the Exo Terra. My boyfriend has an airbrush that he uses to paint terrain for board games, so I’m hoping he might be able to do something with it!

I did read reviews that it was heavy, but how heavy are we talking??? I don’t have to walk far here at all, so I think it should be okay?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pretty heavy! A few pounds at least (for the XL). Let me see if I can find a place that has the shipping weight on it. . .well, I can't find an official source but a couple of Amazon reviews say it's "around 4 pounds" and "just under 2 kgs".

The Exo-terra is not a very dark color and bleaches out fairly quickly. I think it should blend in ok unless the rocks in your area are super white quartz types. If they're the usual sandy-ish white rocks it shouldn't stand out.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
The first time it happened, I thought (and was hoping) it was a raccoon.

However, the second time it happened I had left two bowls out instead of just one, and that time, the two bowls were both emptied, stacked, and flipped.

They weren’t particularly close together either, so not something that could happen by accident either from a raccoon playing around.

The problem is there’s very little way to be discreet about it. Anything we place there is going to stick out like a sore thumb -

View attachment 349372

I had been planning to make one or two Rubbermaid feeding stations (and ideally shelters if I could get away with it), and then camouflaging them as a bushes/hedges by molding a frame with chicken wire, covering it in artificial leaves, and setting it over the tote.

But even that will get neighbors attention. They’ll easily be able to figure out what it is, so my hope was more so that it would blend in and actually improve the aesthetic of the area so they wouldn’t mind.

But I’m just not sure if I’m going to move forward with the plan or not, especially with someone who clearly can’t even tolerate a single, small, inconspicuous water bowl.

They’re literally going out of their way to remove it, too. Everyone naturally walks on the cement when they go through here, and I place the bowl at the farthest fence -

View attachment 349373

It just depends on what exactly their objections might be.

If it’s just the cats they don’t like/want me feeding, then it won’t matter if it looks nice and blends in, and placing something “permanent” there might then compel them to report to the HOA.

That’s why I was thinking of maybe leaving a note.

Only two neighbors there somewhat know what I’m doing (they know I’m doing TNR, but I didn’t elaborate on colony management - that’s the part I have a harder time explaining to people/convincing people about).

So maybe this person just doesn’t know why the bowl is there, and explaining it would solve the problem.

Or if they still object or have questions, then leaving my contact information will allow me a chance to explain why what I’m doing is beneficial and help resolve any other issues they might have.

...... or they may just go straight to the HOA.

I’m just trying to weigh the risks.

Until I make a decision, I think I’m just going to feed wet only with some water added. Luckily we’re supposed to be getting rain a couple days this week, so hopefully they’ll still be able to find water elsewhere until I figure something out.

I swear, the absolute worst part of taking care of ferals is dealing with other humans.
I am sorry you are having problem. Some people will give you trouble no matter how you feed the cats. Even when you try your best to be neat and discreet where you feed. I never leave anything out after I put food down. I put water in the food and in the summer, I put water out for periods of time. I don't trust anything out where I can't keep an eye on it. I don't want to sound distrusting, but you never know with people. My friend had a problem with someone allowing their dog to poop in her front garden. She placed hidden cameras near the site and couldn't believe it was a neighbor she was on good terms with. It is sad, but some people do act like real jerks when they think no one is watching. And do keep in mind the sickos who may try to harm your cats. I would be careful with bringing this matter up with your HOA unless you know for sure they will help you, be careful. There are a lot of HOA run by power hungry maniacs who makes people's lives hell. Maybe you live in one of the better ones who will go to bat for you, but for me I am very leery about them.

Best of luck to you. I hope this situation gets resolved soon. 🙂