Some Suggestions Please??

Tornado Tammy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Below is a copy and paste of a post I made yesterday on the "New Cats On The Block" thread. A kind person on that thread suggested that I post on this Forum, for possible suggestions re my kitten and a couple of problems I'm having, namely running up my new floor level lounge drapes, and jumping up on the TV cabinet and creating a little havoc, in on and behind it.
Thanks heaps if anyone has any suggestions for me.
"Hi, I'm IN NZ and now have an adorable wee female tabby kitten, Tammy! She is now about 6 weeks old. Tammy and her two brothers were rescue kittens, after some wild teenage kids sadly took to their Mum shortly after their birth! She was microchipped, spayed and vaccinated at the rescue centre, before being fostered for about a month by my son and his family.

Although I've had cats before, I've never actually had one from such a young age, so I'm having to learn right along with her! She's generally very good, litter box trained, eating well, sleeping well, plays happily. Good little cuddler, loves to jump up on my lap when she's ready, and also likes to watch my iPad screen if I'm using it while she's sitting with me. The photo is a screenshot of her sitting on my lap watching the iPad!
(Added - That photo is on the "New Cats On The Block" thread)

Apart from running up to me and climbing up my legs (ouch) the only other things I'm having problems with is to deter her from:

*Climbing up my new floor length drapes and net curtains!
*And, a new trick that just began today - jumping up onto the TV cabinet, a corner one, pushing the TV stand back, leaving her "fingerprints" on the screen- knocking over the two little plants and the remotes on each side of the telly, jumping in behind it and biting and pulling on the cords, and pulling out some Videos, CDs, DVDs, and tapes! All this in about 5-10 minutes while I was putting washing on the line! Thank goodness she hasn't yet learnt how to open the CD etc cases! Looks as though I'm going to be sorting some doors for the Cabinet, and filling in the gap at the back with some sort of cover! She's certainly going to make me keep my brain active trying to outwit the little minx! When I have to go out, I've been putting her into the laundry - it's where she sleeps at night, has her litter tray, her bed and a few toys, and it's fortunately pretty cat proof! She's safe in there, (as am I) and the rest of the house!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Overly active kittens can be a real challenge which may go on into early adulthood or even later. Certainly to the extent you can remove small objects and things she might get like into you should do it. With one insanely active kitten I went so far as using Velcro to keep some things in place that she loved to knock off. Second, you need lots and lots of active playtime with her doing things like chasing a laser light or mechanical toys she can run after so that she can wear herself out.
And it may take removing her immediately a few thousand times before she starts to realize she can't climb the drapes. Having a nice tall cat tree will allow her to run up high while not wrecking your stuff.

I am not personally a fan of keeping kittens in their own space overnight. Part of bonding with them and a cats instinct is to sleep with their family. I prefer allowing them in my room unless they are being too rambunctious in bed and then shutting them out of the room for a short while when they are. Done repetively and consistently, most learn surprisingly quickly that if they want bed and bedroom access they need to sneak quietly onto the bed and stay that way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tornado Tammy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your thoughts Susanm. She has a great assortment of toys in a flat basket in the lounge - and usually selects what she wants to play with herself. Sometimes she'll bring me something and drop it at my feet - almost like a puppy playing "fetch"! She also has a tall scratch tower, and several papery things that she likes to chase around. The lounge floor is usually covered with her playthings. During the day she has me on tap, and the freedom of the house, bar the bedrooms, bathroom and my sewing/crafting room, and those 4 rooms are out of bounds! I'm afraid I don't agree with cat access to bedrooms - particularly all night to sleep, but I'm always happy to play with her and have her up on my lap for a cuddle if I'm sitting in the lounge.
The laundry, where she sleeps, and where I also put her if I'm going out, is a good size, and she also has plenty of toys in there - as well as her litter tray, some biscuits and water.

As far as removing her from the drapes a couple of thousand times - I'm currently probably up around the one thousand by now, so maybe I'm half way there already! Fortunately, I live on a back section, so being as the Ranchslider lounge Windows can't be seen from the street, I'm able to tuck the nets and drapes right away either end, out of her sight during the day! Which of course enables her to look out at the birds etc. The "fun" usually starts just as its starting to darken and I'm closing things up for the night. I try to tell her the birdies have all gone to bed, - but she just doesn't listen!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine climbed the drapes for a short time. Then I used those snap bracelets to tie up the curtains upon themselves so the kittens couldn't get to them. Moving the cat tree in front of the window helped a lot also.
Now, they can look outside whenever they want, but can't reach the drapes. At night, when I lower the drapes, they don't even try to climb them.

Tornado Tammy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Kashmir64. That gives me some more hope - I always enjoy a success story! I'm sure that Tammy and I will reach a happy medium, one day anyway! Maybe when it's summer here, with the longer days, she'll probably be in her bed by the time I close up, or more hopefully, forget about them! She's actually fine with the shorter side window nets and shorter drapes. Just gets up onto the windowsill and sits there quietly watching the wind blow the trees and leaves around,(not that there's many leaves left on the tree now) and the birds, but doesn't even attempt to touch the nets, or the side drapes.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can afford it, investing in a cat tree is the best money you will spend. This will also help with the running up your legs. Whenever she does, then just re-direct her to the tree.

On a side note: I envy you. It's coming winter there isn't it?
Can I come stay with you for 3 months? lol

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I recommend something like this. Short one are to sit and play. Longer ones you can actually run around the house and have kitty chase the feather. You can search around and find the best one for you. Pay attention to the clasp. Be sure to lock in a cabinet when you are done playing with her.

Pet Fit For Life Multi Feather Teaser and Exerciser For Cat and Kitten - Cat Toy Interactive Cat Wand
These feathers make birds noises and twirl. Many cats go wild for them. Petetpet 5 Pack Feather Cat Toys Da Bird Cat Toy Refill Replacement for Cat Kitten (5 Pack)

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cat trees are really worth it. Put in front of a window for hours of fun. Armarcat is one of the sturdiest. I prefer velour covering or at a higher price point carpet. I don't like the fleece covering. I got this pet club but the upper post is crappy. I drilled pilot holes in a wood rod and wrapped that in untreated systal rope and reattached the new top post. My cat is 12 lbs and climbs it like spider man. Plan for how big your cat will grow.

Go Pet Club 62" Cat Tree Condo Furniture Beige Color

Tornado Tammy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your suggestions! I'm going to get my grandson to make Tammy a cat tree thingie - he's always looking for a bit of pocket money, and enjoys doing woodwork. I'm sure he'll jump at the opportunity - (.....IF I can get him off his computer games). We have plenty of timber and offcuts of new carpet. I also thought we might dismantle the existing scratching post and add it to the tree.
Amazingly, the little minx hasn't played any of her curtain tricks tonight or last night! Last night, she crawled up on my knee and went to sleep. Once tonight - just before she had her tea, she scooted over to them when she was chasing around the lounge after a piece of her screwed up paper (which she loves to do at about 100 mph)! She was right beside the curtain, looking at her paper, looking at the drapes, then looked back at me, almost questioningly! I just quietly went "Grr" shook my head, then "wagged" my finger from side to side saying "No Tammy" - GUESS WHAT?? She picked up the piece of paper and brought it across the room it to me. She got a big cuddle and a "Good Girl" from me, Then it was teatime, after that she jumped up on my lap and we watched the news together until it was her bedtime!
I hope we have a repeat performance tomorrow night!

supergirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I first got Cotton at 8 weeks old, had to cat proof the whole place. One thing that was useful, I got a spray from the pet store for furniture that u don't want her on, the smell repels cats, or you can use anything citrus, which probably would be a nicer smell for us, humans.
As for scratching, whenever she thought of scratching any piece of furniture I would say a firm no, and then scruff her and take her to her cat post, that way she learned that scratching is only for the post.
Now, she's almost 1 year old and thank God she still doesn't scratch any furniture and a firm no, stops her from anything she shouldn't be doing.
I also used a kind of mounting paste, to stick my favorite vases in place, and cord protectors for all my wires, and a door to my book cabinet which she loved to knock down. Though in a couple of months time she was out of the habit of chewing on them.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
About your drapes I'm hoping as she gets bigger gravity will stop that. About your tv stand and knocking things over. You can try filling in the space where she usually jumps to with boxes (or line up penny cans there.) Also you can try the sticky tape method to. A lot of it is just because she is a kitten. Take lots of photos :) it goes by quicker than you think.

Tornado Tammy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
image.jpeg
Thanks all - very helpful advice!
I was looking online for a photo of a kitten having a cuppa, but this one's even cuter, as it looks just like Tammy!