Some Questions About Going RAW

ke$ha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, I'm no stranger to RAW when it comes to dogs but I've never done it with a cat.

So a couple questions...I'm getting a kitten, she'll be around 8-12 weeks when I bring her home depending on when we get the apartment. Puppies in general, but more specifically large breed puppies have very specific calc/phos level needs or it can lead to joint problems such as pano. Is there anything like this that I need to worry about with cats?

What ratios for MM/RMB/OM do people recommend for cats?

Supplements...Fish oil, vitamin E, vitamin C, cranberry, garlic, glucosamine/chondroitin and b-complex are what I supplement my dogs with. What supplements are recommended for cats?

Maybe a stupid question but......How easy/hard is it to get a cat to chew a bone? I'd prefer not to have to feed ground for the teeth cleaning benefits that chewing bones provides.

How much do cats typically eat in oz/lb a day? Like is there any rough estimates to start with based on their expected adult weight or for adults, what they weight?

What are some good RMB options for cats? Are chicken necks, wings, small/female turkey necks, pork ribs, things like that ok?

Is it ok to feed RAW frozen or does it need to be thawed for cats?

I -think- that's all the questions I have. It's almost 3am so I'm ridiculously tired and can't think. If I come up with any more I'll post tomorrow. If you feel there is anything you might want to give me a heads up on that I didn't ask about, feel free to. Links and information are great! Thank you in advance for any advice.

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I put my answers inside the quote. I wrote it in green so it stands out easily.

Originally Posted by Ke$ha

Ok, I'm no stranger to RAW when it comes to dogs but I've never done it with a cat.

So a couple questions...I'm getting a kitten, she'll be around 8-12 weeks when I bring her home depending on when we get the apartment. Puppies in general, but more specifically large breed puppies have very specific calc/phos level needs or it can lead to joint problems such as pano. Is there anything like this that I need to worry about with cats?

Follow the 80% meat, 10% bone, 5% liver, and 5% other secreting guideline. http://rawfedcats.org/nature.htm explains the basics of raw feeding cats.
What ratios for MM/RMB/OM do people recommend for cats?

See above

Supplements...Fish oil, vitamin E, vitamin C, cranberry, garlic, glucosamine/chondroitin and b-complex are what I supplement my dogs with. What supplements are recommended for cats?

I give fish oil but that is it. Just feed a balanced raw diet

Maybe a stupid question but......How easy/hard is it to get a cat to chew a bone? I'd prefer not to have to feed ground for the teeth cleaning benefits that chewing bones provides.

Kittens take to raw very easily. For bones, feed small things, like chicken ribs, to begin with.

How much do cats typically eat in oz/lb a day? Like is there any rough estimates to start with based on their expected adult weight or for adults, what they weight?

Morey and Mitch, who started raw at 4 weeks of age, eat between 12-20 ounces a day - and still do, at 9 months old. Let them eat all they want, at 3-5 meals a day. Then put the food away - do not leave stuff out between meals.

What are some good RMB options for cats? Are chicken necks, wings, small/female turkey necks, pork ribs, things like that ok?

I rarely give non-edible bones. Stick to bones that they can eat, which is most chicken parts, or very small turkey necks.

Is it ok to feed RAW frozen or does it need to be thawed for cats?

Thawed is best. I feed the food right from the fridge.

I -think- that's all the questions I have. It's almost 3am so I'm ridiculously tired and can't think. If I come up with any more I'll post tomorrow. If you feel there is anything you might want to give me a heads up on that I didn't ask about, feel free to. Links and information are great! Thank you in advance for any advice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ke$ha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
On the supplements, how much fish oil and do you not need to supplement with vitamin E to replace what is depleted in order for the body to process the fish oils?

Also, does anyone here feed their cats tripe?

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I either give a sardine a week OR 1-2 salmon oil capsules a week.

Sardines - I use canned sardines that are packed in water with no added salt

No, I don't give any other supplements. As long as you are feeding a balanced diet, there is no need
BTW, if you are feeding grass fed/pasture raised meat, then there is no need to supplement sardines/fish oil.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, Ke$ha, I'm late to the party (so to speak
) - did you get your new kitten? How is the raw feeding going?

AC