Some med (pred) missed cat's mouth

cylon.descendant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, prednisolone question. I give my cat liquid pred, and he currently gets 0.1ml every second day (in the process of tapering down).

Tonight, he jerked his head at just the right time and the syringe came out of his mouth as I was administering it. Some of the pred dripped onto his fur/the floor instead of going in his mouth (I would say more than half the dose missed his mouth).

I'm just not quite sure what to do. I don't want to give him more and risk accidentally giving him a higher dose than he's supposed to get. But I'm also not sure if him only getting probably half or less of this dose will have negative consequences. Has anyone been in this situation before? Any thoughts?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Look on the bottle and see what the mg/ml is. And for sure, you are giving 0.1ml? That would be like a couple of drops.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cylon.descendant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Look on the bottle and see what the mg/ml is. And for sure, you are giving 0.1ml? That would be like a couple of drops.
Yes, it's a very small amount -- I was surprised at first too, when my vet gave the instructions. It's a 50mg/ml concentration so that is why it's such a small volume. Which has worked against me in this situation, because even a drop or two missed can be a substantial portion! Unfortunately lol

cylon.descendant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If it was me, and I am not a vet, I would give him his normal dose tomorrow and then return to every other day. So, your days will change.
Hmm, that's not a bad idea. I might run that by my vet tomorrow and see what she says. Thanks!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good safety rule: if you attempt to dose an animal and some of it spills out or gets spits out or whatever and you're not sure how much medicine the animal actually got, do not give any more medicine to try to "make up" for what spilled out because you may accidentally OD the cat with more medicine. A less than full dose of medicine won't cause any harm, maybe just a bit of discomfort to the cat's symptoms. At the next normal dose time, give the prescribed dose as usual and just try to make sure all of it gets in and stays in.

You may want to call the vet and see if the next dose can be given tomorrow instead of Tuesday because of the partial dose given today.

Can liquid pred be flavored? Or mixed into food? I give pred pills to my cat so I don't know about the liquid version.

cylon.descendant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good safety rule: if you attempt to dose an animal and some of it spills out or gets spits out or whatever and you're not sure how much medicine the animal actually got, do not give any more medicine to try to "make up" for what spilled out because you may accidentally OD the cat with more medicine. A less than full dose of medicine won't cause any harm, maybe just a bit of discomfort to the cat's symptoms. At the next normal dose time, give the prescribed dose as usual and just try to make sure all of it gets in and stays in.

You may want to call the vet and see if the next dose can be given tomorrow instead of Tuesday because of the partial dose given today.
Thank you -- that is a helpful rule of thumb to know about. It makes sense that it's safer to err on the side of less as opposed to more than the intended dose. I think I may still touch base with my vet tomorrow about the timing of the next dose to clarify what's best, as I know with the pred they need to do a very gradual, controlled taper, so I don't know if the smaller recent dose will change how I should time the next one. But at least I feel assured that it was best to *not try and re-dose him after the spillage. Thanks!