Some disappointing news

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am very discouraged tonight.  Of the colony I "inherited" in November, most have been brought inside and are doing really well.  The last of the youngest kittens goes to her new home tomorrow.  The four older kittens are really progressing, I am petting three of them and they are enjoying life inside.

The two females remaining at the house are fine, I check on them daily, sometimes more than once a day.   Last night the original caretaker called me and told me the realtor wants the shelters removed.  I refused to take them away completely, but did agree to move them from the back patio.   I am very disappointed in her lack of concern for the cats.  I understand she wants her house to sell, but I do not believe the shelters hindered a sale.  I had always planned to bring the girls to my house whenever I could get an outdoor enclosure built.  Now I may have to move more quickly.  Although I spoke with the realtor at great length and explained the situation, she does not want the cats there.  

With four older kittens in my spare room, the only thing I could possibly do now is to try and introduce them to my own cats.  I don't really see any other option, as I am now worried the realtor may take removing them into her own hands.  I do not want to let these cats be trapped by animal control.   

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, what a difficult, depressing situation!

Did you explain that if you did get the cats, some other cats may take their place (vacuum effect)?

Or, if for any reason the two cats escape your house (apartment?), they will return to the home?

Can you get some type of really big dog crate and make that their home?

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
HELLO !!!! I have been thinking of you and wondering how things were going with the two remaining cats at that house :). I would advise after hearing the recent update to trap the two remaining cats. I do think the realtor might take matter's into her own hands and call animal control. NOW - here is an option - you could call animal control yourself, explain the whole situation, and get them to assist you in trapping the cats and explain that you will be taking in the cat's in the hopes of relocating them to another situation, barn, farm, home, etc. I think most local Animal Control agencies would be happy to help you in this endeavor to save these cat's :nod:

I would also suggest setting up a large cage and put them in the room with the other four. You do not have to "introduce" the other's to your resident cat's at this moment. Those six cat's would be fine in that room together :nod: Much better than what the other possibilities could be for them :nervous:. Really, just keep telling yourself that. You are doing everything you possibly can to save these cat's and if they have to live in a room all together for a little while - so be it. They are cared for, loved, being fed, have a nice room, warm, etc. etc. etc.... Better than anything else they ever had before :nod: So I would do the crate thing. At least until you can get them to a vet. Then they could be released in the room with the other four. We will help you as best we can from here - but I think the cat's need to be taken from that house now. :hugs:

Congrats on finding a home for one of the kittens. I am thrilled to hear the great news about the older four kittens too. Your doing a fantastic job here - and in the end, you will be rewarded somehow, someway for doing all of this. You are saving lives here and bless you for that :heart3: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for the great advice. You think they will be okay in the same room? Two, possibly three of the four older kittens will be adopted out, when they are ready, and they are going to very good homes. It will just be a while before they can go.

I can easily do the dog crate, can you tell me why they need to go to the vet? Both girls have already been spayed. Most of the cats were trapped and spayed/neutered as soon as we heard about them.

I think it will be difficult to trap one of the females, she is very wary. And of course, this past week with moving the shelters and the realtor being around more, I did not see them every day, like I usually do. And now another cat is hanging around. I was hoping he was a neighbor cat just walking through, but today he was there again. He was hungry, but he came to me when I called and let me pet him. He is not neutered, and has a small wound, does not look serious, behind his ear. He is going to be trapped ASAP! One of the females was there today, not very happy he was there but I did not see the other one. I am hoping he did not hurt her, not seeing her in a few days has me very nervous. He did not seem aggressive, hopefully she is just avoiding him and is still close by. He makes 13 cats, I hope he is the last. I have no idea what to do with him, but him being friendly and not feral, perhaps I can find him a home. Putting him back there would put him at risk, just like the girls.

Tomorrow there will be an open house, it should be interesting to say the least.

mieshasmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!!  It's been a while since I've read anything about all your inherited kitties,so good to hear from you!  I know everythings going to work out great for you, although I know how frustrating it can be!  You do have alot more kitties than I do, but believe me, I understand the worrying!  My Hubby made me promise not to put any more food out to attract any more cats.  He says 3 are enough.  (I'll just have to put the food in a knew spot that he can't see!  Maybe in Babies doghouse. 
  I'm terrible!  ).  But when you're a good, caring person like you are, good things come your way and everything works out for the best! And you've got a lot of people here sending you good vibes!!!! 
  You'll have to get back to us on that open house.  Who knows, maybe a cat lover will think it's a plus to have kitties come with the house and buy it just for that reason!!  Wouldn't that be an answer to a prayer!! 
.  Keep us updated and all the good luck in the world and lots of prayers coming your way!!!!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Tomorrow there will be an open house, it should be interesting to say the least.
Tell about the situation to people. It will make pressure on the realtor NOT to do any drastical steps.

To have the sign of evil drawn all by herself on her isnt not good for business.

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have introduced myself to neighbors, and everyone I see when I go to feed.  I explain what I am doing, tell them my first and foremost interest is the welfare of the cats, but I also am looking out for their neighborhood.  First by spaying/neutering, taking the younger ones and socializing them and finding them homes, and by also keeping up after any other cats that may come along.

They have all been fine, in fact one couple gives me updates of what they observe.  Only the realtor is bothered by the cats' presence.

While I was hoping to get the girls, I will have to trap the black Tom and figure out what to do with him.  It is a blessing that he is friendly, he let me pet him and he rolled on his back.  But he needs to be neutered and he needs medical attention.  So he will be this week's project!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you so much for the great advice. You think they will be okay in the same room? Two, possibly three of the four older kittens will be adopted out, when they are ready, and they are going to very good homes. It will just be a while before they can go.
I can easily do the dog crate, can you tell me why they need to go to the vet? Both girls have already been spayed. Most of the cats were trapped and spayed/neutered as soon as we heard about them.
I think it will be difficult to trap one of the females, she is very wary. And of course, this past week with moving the shelters and the realtor being around more, I did not see them every day, like I usually do. And now another cat is hanging around. I was hoping he was a neighbor cat just walking through, but today he was there again. He was hungry, but he came to me when I called and let me pet him. He is not neutered, and has a small wound, does not look serious, behind his ear. He is going to be trapped ASAP! One of the females was there today, not very happy he was there but I did not see the other one. I am hoping he did not hurt her, not seeing her in a few days has me very nervous. He did not seem aggressive, hopefully she is just avoiding him and is still close by. He makes 13 cats, I hope he is the last. I have no idea what to do with him, but him being friendly and not feral, perhaps I can find him a home. Putting him back there would put him at risk, just like the girls.
OH BOY...... yep - the Open House will be interesting :eek:. I am sure the cat's will not be seen at all and will stay out of sight.

I forgot that the girls are already spayed - but I was also thinking about taking them to the vet to be tested for FIV/FeLK. Even if they were tested back when they were spayed - they could have been exposed :nervous: since then. BUT that is totally up to you. Hopefully is they tested negative when they were spayed - they will still be negative. That was the one thing I was concerned about :nod:

Wonderful news that two or three of the older kittens will soon be adopted out ! :bigthumb: I absolutely DO think the cat's will all be just fine in that room all together :nod: You have to make it work with the space you have. Your doing THE best thing for these cats :heart3: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

:cross: For trapping this new friendly boy kitty. Seems that is always the case - more kitties always show themselves. I hope he can be quickly trapped and since he is friendly, hopefully he will find a good home. You seem to be having much luck in finding homes. BLESS YOUR HEART :heart3: :heart2:

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You were absolutely right, Lauren, no sign of the kitties, except right before I left, one of the girls showed up. No sign of the black cat, but I have thought about a few options for him, I just have to get him trapped.

I am getting concerned, however, I have not seen one of the girls since last Tuesday. It could be because of the black cat hanging around. The last time another male came around, in January, the girls behavior changed. Once I trapped him, and he now lives in my husband's warehouse, they were fine. I was worried he might have hurt her, but yesterday he was sitting next to the other one and showed no aggression whatsoever. My mind plays out all kinds of scenarios. I cannot believe she would leave, hopefully she is around and just hiding. Such worries, sometimes it is overwhelming.

I hope I can bring both girls here soon, and if you think they will be alright in one room, I will do that. I suppose it is better than being outside or in a shelter, they have places to hide and room to play and run around. I think I am going to look into putting a screen on the door of the bedroom so that they can at least see life does exist outside of that room.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
WELL- I just read the GREAT NEWS about your trapping the black kitty and how sweet he is :woohoo: AND the new home he has. Your just awesome :bigthumb:

I am certain the other girl kitty is around somewhere. YES - the worry is just overwhelming that these kitties put us through. You just don't have any control over their safety or whereabouts. Just do the best you can - just what you are already doing. The worrying can't be helped but know you are doing what you can. That will give you resolution and resolve :hugs::hugs::hugs:

Great idea about the screen door. Just make sure the screening IS the heavy duty pet screening. You can even purchase a cheaper screen door and tack on the stronger, thicker pet screening over the existing screening on the inside of the screen door - kitty side of the screen door.

Last edited:

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks,  Lauren,  I am truly amazed how things worked out.  I prayed all day long,  I had an appointment for a check up for him and a neuter tomorrow morning.  I delayed my usual time to feed just in case I could get him and he wouldn't have to be in a carrier for too long.  One of the girls was there,  but he ran right past her.  I picked him up, and he just laid his head on my arm.  Poor guy,  he needed some help.  I put him into a carrier and only got a small scratch, just from his paw,  he did not swipe at me.

If all goes well tomorrow,  he will go to his new home and his new "meowmy"  is so excited.  She said she just cannot wait to meet him!  I am so grateful to her.

Now to get the other girl, Mia,  to come back around.   I was so worried that the wound he had was a bite and maybe had fought with her,  the vet said no wound,  just tons of ticks,  poor boy.  Maybe I will see her tomorrow.  I sure hope so.

Thanks again for the good thoughts and encouragement,  you have no idea how it helps!

Kim

mieshasmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
KRZ......you mentioned putting up a screen door on your feral Kitty room, this is the one I just made out of 1x2's and chicken wire.

Just make the frame out of 1x2's to the same measurements as your exsisting door.  Glue and scew on metal corner brackets. Staple on the chicken wire, and make a second frame just like the first and screw it over the one wth the chicken wire so it covers the edges of the wire.  Then attach it to the hinges for your excisting door.  Works cool and easy to make and put on!!  Good luck!!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow have I missed a lot!

First of all :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: for a really difficult situation.

Next. :woohoo: on the news of the black kitty! GREAT job! Must have been such a relief to hear it was "just" ticks - no fighting. :rub:

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: for Mia. :heart2: :cross: