Solutions to cats on counter

atinsley

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello!

The 2 older cats have always gotten up on the counter and it really hasn't been a problem as they wouldn't get on it very often and would mostly just lay down on the mail or something. Now that we have the 2 kittens and they're old enough to get up there it seems like there's a constant party going on there!

I'm worried someone's gonna step on the stove after it's been turned off but is still hot or something of that nature so it's gotta stop now.

The ScatMat seems like it would be the most effective but it's way too steep for what you get. I've also looked at the ssscat and that's gotten a lot of negative reviews saying it didn't work very well.

Does anyone here have any advice or experience with either of these or had a positive experience with another device?

Thanks!

mommysugar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I heard from a cat shelter lady to try using double sided tape or the flipside of cheap car mats because they have those nubby things on them that cats dont like to jump on or a bitter orange spray deterrent, good luck, update on what you find out.

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ugh.

Not a problem with counters here (too high) but the table. HollyHeart (4 months) is CONSTANTLY getting on the table. Take her off and she's right back on there. It's like a "game".

I know some of the problem is from where she came from, her mom and brothers and sisters were allowed on the table (when people weren't eating on it). My feeling is, you are a CAT and belong on the FLOOR Sneaky Pie never gave us this problem.

Dd wants to get a spray bottle and fill it with water, and I'm just about there. All dh does is yell and clap his hands (yeah, like THAT does any good- the cat just looks at him)

And she's still a kitten. A kitten that hasn't been "fixed" yet. I'm hoping that her operation in another month or so will "chill" her out some. Not that I don't want her to stop playing- I'm just kind of over her being "hyperkitten"

Cheryl

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

atinsley

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking I could always just go the cheap route... put boxing tape sticky side up on a piece of cardboard and put it on the counter when it's not in use.

A spray bottle may or may not work. The only time I use a spray bottle is when Buddy's being too rough on his sister and I get it close to him on mist and spray him just so he gets surprised and out of 'attack mode'

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you all find something that works for you with kitties and counters/tables. I gave up on it. Mine dont get up on the counters when Im cooking or doing dishes and I always clean it off before I do either. However I have one table that is for humans and one table just for cats. Hercules loves to lay on the table in the kitchen and lounge in front of the bay window. I couldnt get him off there if I begged pleaded and bribed. That is HIS spot! He even jumps up on the table for lovins while we are using the microwave and does a happy dance to get scritches!

Good Luck!

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I totally disagree with the Scccat reviews. My cats fear it. It is a sudden burst of air, very audible and startling. Plus they feel something on their fur and don't know what it is. It only took once and they were off the counters for good.

Then you can move it somewhere else. I put it on the fireplace mantle after Beeba was found up there. He still "eyes" the mantle with suspiscion.

I highly recommend it.

sandy2u1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Max is the same way. When I'm cooking, he get's worse because of the food he smells. What I do is stay with the stove the whole time I'm cooking and when I'm finished I feed Max...that gives the burners time to cool down. He thinks he has to eat the same time we do anyway, so its a win/win.

kittysback

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wish I knew the answer... mine go up on the counters too. I might try the sticky tape. They also love going in the cabinets. One of mine loves to sleep behind my pots and pans. LOL

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never allowed mine on the countertops, Boomer will occasionally make the jump to the top of the fridge and sit in the cupboard over it but his paws don't touch the counter. We just remove them everytime we see them there, we don't treat it like a game, no telling them off, just a no and move them to a cat tree - eventually they just got it.

Quincy was a nightmare for it when we first got him but the other cats know enough that no one is supposed to be up there that they will sit in the kitchen meowing to tattle on him so he doesn't even try sneaking up there anymore.

Magnum burnt his paw as a kitten (jumped into a hot pan) so we always stay at the stove and cover hot burners with a old style kettle to just to be sure

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
THis may not work for you - but is there a place in the kitchen that the cats CAN jump on? Or even something that can be made for them?

i have the smallest kitchen possible and he used to jump on the counters constantly. Until i got a dog and had to put his food on my washer. Its been 3 years and he hasnt jumped on any counters. He's just happy having some where thats his - even has the option of jumping onto the fridge for a higher hang out.