Solitary Confinement & Cats

tracie holladay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OK I thought this should be on a separate thread. 

My 4 month old kitten Sonny is fighting a very bad ringworm infection, and of course, he has to be quarantined. We are keeping him in one of our bathrooms in our apartment. That's where he sleeps at night, and where we put him during the day if hubby and I have to be at work, or if we go out on errands, etc. We don't let Sonny interact with any other section of the house. We also don't let him interact with our older cat Gustav, who is 8 years old. 

Hubby, as a union laborer, spends more time at home than I do; he only works when the union calls him to do so. Of late, he's had more time to stay home so while he is at home, he does what he can to bring Sonny out to our porch so he can get some fresh air and sunlight. We live in a 3rd floor apartment. 

For a while, hubby would take Sonny into our bedroom and let him run around and play in there, but when the ringworm worsened, we couldn't allow that any more. 

I suspect that the "solitary confinement" that we have to subject Sonny to is taking a toll on him mentally. He's not nearly as playful and bouncy as he used to be. He tends to look fearful and confused when we do bring him out. He's 4 months old - he should be bouncing and playing and being interested in everything. He just kinda sits quietly and stares as if he doesn't understand what's going on. 

Is this going to break him mentally? How can I help him? I have done some reading on how torturous solitary confinement is for humans; I can't imagine what it's like for a tiny kitten. What can I do to help him get his bounce and playfulness back? Anything at all? 

Once the ringworm is dealt with - and yes, we do have some lime sulfur dip for him that we'll start him on today (11-17); we've had him on miconazole 2x a day but it just kept spreading - and he can come out and play again, is he going to get some of his peppery personality back? 

He's a neutered male cat. 

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How long has he been in "solitary"?  It sounds like quite some time.  however, he's not really in solitary, because it's not 24 hours a day andhe's not deprived of household sounds, etc. is he.

I can't honestly say what it might do to the mental status of a cat, but do think it's abnormal for him not to want to play when he's with you and/or your husband.  Does he cry when you put him in the bathroom?  How big is that area?  Does he have toys to play with in there (maybe something that can be steralized, or even just wadded up little pieces of paper that he can bat around and then be tossed) 

Is he still eating, peeing, and  pooping normally?  Is he lethargic?  I'm just concerned that perhaps there is something else wrong that's causing him to act that way.  Does he appear to be sick in any other way other than the ringworm? 

I don't know how you can make him want to play other than to find a toy that he really likes.  Sometimes they DO get bored with the same old toys. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tracie holladay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The bathroom he is in is the largest bathroom we have - it's longer than it is wide. 

He does hear household sounds, and yes, he complains when we have to put him in it. BUT....after his shampoo and dip today...he seemed like a new kitten. More himself. I wonder if the crusty crap of the ringworm was making him itch and he was miserable on top of lonely. 

The lesions are looking greatly improved today, and his attitude is improving. 

Yes,  he is eating normally and all else is just fine. 

Let the record show that this whole thing is an exercise in how sensitive cats are.