Solid Grey or a Tabby?

picklespepper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was just curious if my new little guy would classify as a solid grey or a tabby.  I have read that even solid colours carry the tabby gene and that the stripes can be seen in certain lights.  With my guy he looks grey on first glance but his stripes are still somewhat visible no matter the light or angle.  His sister is a grey classic tabby.

View media item 290130

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is the sis classic tabby?  The it decides it,  I though I saw the classic pattern on him.  If his sis is classic, the  probabability is high he is classic too.

peterbald love

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Is the sis classic tabby?  The it decides it,  I though I saw the classic pattern on him.  If his sis is classic, the  probabability is high he is classic too.
I see some classic tabby markings, does it have a bull's eye on one side and does it have a M on the forehead, if no and it has stripes it is a Mackerel Tabby and Russian Blues usually don't have stripes, but this one might.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

picklespepper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your replies.  I am thinking he is a true tabby with faint stripes.  He does have the classic markings and you can see the stripes even he is sitting in the shadows.

I just find the topic of colours and genetics very fascinating.  My kittens mother is a calico (possibly diluted, but it`is hard to say as I only saw her in the barn where the light wasn`t very good).  And the kittens have a sister that is white with grey tabby patches.  

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Thanks for your replies.  I am thinking he is a true tabby with faint stripes.  He does have the classic markings and you can see the stripes even he is sitting in the shadows.

I just find the topic of colours and genetics very fascinating.  My kittens mother is a calico (possibly diluted, but it`is hard to say as I only saw her in the barn where the light wasn`t very good).  And the kittens have a sister that is white with grey tabby patches.  
Ok, so the father was a classical tabby, whom had the tabby gene doubled, so all his kittens become tabbies - more or less.

Mom was probably diluted, as it give the grey color - grey is diluted black, so ThIS gene come from mom..

Sis would prob be described as grey tabby harlequin...

Last edited:

picklespepper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
`Wow, thanks.  The one time I was over I did see a grey tabby cat hanging around but with barn cats it is so hard to tell who the father is.  OF course,  if that had been the father, I highly doubt the mother would have let it rest with her and her remaining kittens.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

`Wow, thanks.  The one time I was over I did see a grey tabby cat hanging around but with barn cats it is so hard to tell who the father is.  OF course,  if that had been the father, I highly doubt the mother would have let it rest with her and her remaining kittens.
´Why not?  Just because he was the father, he could be supposed to be friendly with them.

A tom whom is a good friend with mom,  will be friendly with the kittens too, irrespective whom is the biological father.

But a tom whom isnt friends with mom, and isnt the biological father, may be dangerous yes - I suppose it was what you meant...

The learning from this?  The toms apparently remember whom they mated with, and  doesnt harm the kittens of the mom whom they mated with...

Home cats whom ARE friends with mom, is in part another story, but the biological background is hereby explained: the mom and her offspring does stand hereby in his protection, this connection or the other.

picklespepper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I guess it's possible then.  I didn't realize Toms could be friends with Queens at all.  But then, I've mainly only had cats who hated all other cats on the planet.  lol  Friendly/social cats are still new to me. The grey tabby also looked like a DLH or at least, medium-hair.  Our male kitten is very fluffy though not quite long-haired.  The female is definitely short-haired.

My friend was given a male half-Siamese kitten (which was adopted by my kittens' mother) so it will be interesting to see what their future litters look like.  He's a stunning little guy.

picklespepper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can't believe I ever thought Pepper would pass as a solid grey!  I mean, look at those tabby stripes!! 
Here he is with his sister Pickles.  I've noticed she has some brown fur behind her ears and she has some on her back legs as well.  But it looks like the rest of the fur between the stripes is grey.  I guess that is the influence of the calico from her mom?  I don't think she is quite a brown tabby.

Last edited by a moderator: