Soliciting Opinions on Grand Photos

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I did a re-shoot with my Egyptian Mau, PB, on the day he granded in anticipation of getting a decent shot of him to be published in the CFA Yearbook for the 2009-2010 season. Grand photos are important in that they provide a visual historical record of the growth and development of a breed.

PB loves toys, as all active breeds do. However, when he gets excited his ears go upright and alert and his eyes get wide, giving them a round appearance. This made getting a good shot of him a challenge. His first session was full of "toy face" so I had to do a total re-shoot.
Not bad images, by any means, but he didn't look the way I see him every day
We had a nice, relaxed session this time.

Mau Breed standard: http://www.cfa.org/breeds/standards/egyptian.pdf

Head Shot, eyes spot a toy, though. . .

Yummy ears and legs

Tail is on the wrong side. . .

Infamous toy-face. . .

Note to mods: Please do not move this thread to the pictures forum. I am not just sharing photos to show off my cat but I am looking for opinions from other breeders/exhibitors on the photo they think is best suited for publication.

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with the above statement that the last two struck me. You do have a gorgeous cat, and wow, I'd be so proud

Whichever pose you choose, I'm sure it will be a good one for the yearbook. Such a great opportunity to show the world your example of this breed. Gorgeous!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you
These cat photographers are true artists, and it's always such a pleasure to witness them work their magic. It's tricky to get the cat in such a way that you play up the good points and play down the inadequacies.

Ideally, I want the photo to show off PB's length of leg, elegant build, dark spots, large ears (relaxed though) and sweet expression. I also want to win the lottery and show cats as my career

PB has great ear size, but his mood dictates how flared out they look. Notice the difference in ears in the second and last photos? The ears in the second photo are closer to my ideal. I also am concerned that his tail is cutting off his length of leg in the last two photos, making him look deceptively short. Of course, as his breeder I am an obsessive perfectionist!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm all too familiar with that first pic

I like shots 2 and 4

congrats to your beautiful boy, must be even more exciting when you actually bred him

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both hubby and I looked at them - we like #4 and #5 the best - those are what I would see in the Grand section. He like #4, I like #5 - he says #4 is a little better lighting on the spots.

The rest are good, but I'd have them on top of the cage - go with one or the other on the last two.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately none of the pics capture the "worried" look. He looks excited about a toy in all the pics. Personally I'm so used to that look, I think it looks good on him.
I do like photo number 2 the best. Ears look great and he has less of the "omg there's a toy!" look.
Next pick would be #5 or the head shot.

tamarae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not a shower (yet) or a breeder, but I just wanted to say that PB is very handsome. His color is striking.

I like the next to last one, just aesthetically, coz I have no merit to my opinions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'll be taking the proofs from the shoot to Crab and Mallet this weekend to be reviewed by other Mau breeders. I'm personally leaning toward number 2, but only because I've been fixating on PB's ears. Gotta make sure I'm not just seeing the forest for the trees here!

And Nial, he doesn't have that worried look because the spoiled child has never worried a day in his life
And how can we possibly worry with a toy flying in front of our face. . .