Solensia! - new arthritis injection

ForTheLoveofPinkie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ForTheLoveofPinkie ForTheLoveofPinkie hello, and welcome!

For a blind kitty who might also have a little hearing loss, she sounds much less like having any dementia and a whole lot more like a cat who has learned to handle her physical disabilities rather well.

If she's underweight, I think that instead of increasing treats/snacks you and she would be better off to increase her food or add another meal for her. Has her vet checked her thyroid and her blood pressure?

Speaking of vets, my vet told me that he never says this, but he considers Solensia a miracle.
I think there's little doubt she has a touch of hearing loss as well, and she has learned to handle her blindness fairly well. Unfortunately, there's also little doubt that she has a neurological disorder and some dementia. She'll sometimes come out to the den and simply pace in a circle without making any apparent needs known. Sometimes I'm good at guessing what she wants, other times not so much. As for feeding her, we feed her as much as she's willing to eat 4 times per day with multiple snacks in between and after. The snack times were originally only twice per day, however since she's gone on steroids every other day, we let her snack (which is sometimes an extra meal though we call it a snack) whenever she wants. Yesterday she was coming out about once an hour for a time until she ate something she found more palatable. We have what is probably one of the largest and more diverse collections of cat food and treats in private hands in North America. And yes, the vet has checked her for everything, and just last month we were assured she's quite healthy, aside from being blind, slightly underweight, arthritic and very old. Thank you for the concern and the welcome.

After completing significant research on the drug in additional locations where it's been on the market for much longer than here in the US, (Australia and in Europe) my wife and I have reluctantly decided against using this drug. Whilst I have some experience with monoclonal antibodies being a migraineur and taking some of the newer class of drugs myself, this particular drug shows a similar pattern to the drug that killed our dog several years ago; it seems to work great for those for whom it's going to work, right up to the point that it doesn't, and then it tends to have rapid onset of very tragic consequences. And / or it does work somewhat for a shot or two, and then again, very quickly turns fatal after another injection. Fortunately it does seem to work well for most cats, and it appears that you know quickly if your cat will benefit from it. But we're very hesitant after seeing people lose their cats after using Solensia.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Carleton got his first Solensia injection this past Monday. The vet was apprehensive when it first came on the market and she wanted to do more research before recommending it. Fast forward, she said most of the other cats who are on it have reported a positive experience. However, she said some people felt it wasn't until a second injection that they noticed any signs of improvement .

Iris had her second injection a week ago, and sadly, I can see no change in her behavior to indicate that Solensia is helping. And the apparent side effect--crying and pacing--was worse with this second shot. After the first shot, she cried and paced for about 8-9 hours. This time, it was double that amount of time and then with decreasing frequency over the next two or three days. She's back to normal (waking me up between 3-4 a.m. to let me know she's used the litter box :) ).

Given her seeming lack of response to Solensia and her discomfort/distress after she gets the shot, I don't think we'll continue with it. I wish it had helped.
Are you using something else to help with Iris's arthritis symptoms?

As I said earlier in this thread, she started howling soon after the 1st injection, and we have since recognized that was likely a coincidence, as it continues today and she hasn't had a Solensia injection since this past April. But, she also started acting itchy after the 3rd injection and once we stopped, the itichiness subsided, so I do contribute that to the Solensia. I wanted to try again anyway, but my husband thinks at her age and her health conditions that the itchiness would be more bothersome overall than the mobility problems.
Now that you mention it Carleton has been jumping on our bed repeatedly at approx. 4:00 - 4:30 a.m. every morning. No howling just jumping on and off the bed for about 1/2 hour. My husband asked me why I thought he was doing this but I didn't think it could be the Solensia especially after only one injection.

What have you been using since Feeby stopped receiving Solencia since last April?

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Are you using something else to help with Iris's arthritis symptoms?
I was giving Iris 150mg of gabapentin a day for pain, 50mg in the morning and 100mg in the evening. But I lost her at Thanksgiving. Everything was such a struggle for her, and she was miserable so our vet helped her cross the Bridge while we held her one last time. So hard to lose her after more than 19 years of companionship.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
But I lost her at Thanksgiving. Everything was such a struggle for her, and she was miserable so our vet helped her cross the Bridge while we held her one last time.
I'm so sorry that Iris went to the Bridge but completely understand how difficult it is to see her suffer and want to help ease her pain. Please accept my sincere condolences and deepest regrets. :hugs:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Carleton got his second Solensia injection last month and is due for his third but we haven't seen any noticeable difference. Plus he was itching under his chin and had an irritation there. Since it has been a month from the second shot he is no longer itching and the area that was affected under his chin has completely cleared up. I spoke to the vet and we both agreed a third injection would not be helpful for him.

TootsRx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Carleton got his second Solensia injection last month and is due for his third but we haven't seen any noticeable difference. Plus he was itching under his chin and had an irritation there. Since it has been a month from the second shot he is no longer itching and the area that was affected under his chin has completely cleared up. I spoke to the vet and we both agreed a third injection would not be helpful for him.
Aww... That's unfortunate that he's having the skin irritation side effect. The benefits were most notable to me after Bandit's third injection. She's had 16 so far and will be 21 years old next month. She's doing awesome!