Soft Paws and clawing?

judith1949

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have adopted a 4 year old Snowshoe Siamese cat.  She is very friendly and fit right into our home as if she has lived here her whole life.  She is a large cat...I would guess weighing at least 16 lbs. or more.  She is not declawed.  She has a big cat condo with a scratching post in the middle and she uses it.  But recently she has started doing some minor damage to our furniture, which we cannot tolerate.  Our Vet will not declaw a cat over one year old.  He says that it does psychological damage and physical damage to them.  So he suggests that we learn to clip her toenails every four weeks and also consider gluing the soft paw toe nail guards onto her nails.  Has anyone else out there used the Soft Paws nail guards?  If so, what was your experience with them?  Did they work?  Were they hard to put on your cat?  How long did they stay on?  Or do you have more than one scratching post for your cat and keep it's claws clipped?   I would appreciate any advice. 
Annabelle's Mom

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I have adopted a 4 year old Snowshoe Siamese cat.  She is very friendly and fit right into our home as if she has lived here her whole life.  She is a large cat...I would guess weighing at least 16 lbs. or more.  She is not declawed.  She has a big cat condo with a scratching post in the middle and she uses it.  But recently she has started doing some minor damage to our furniture, which we cannot tolerate.  Our Vet will not declaw a cat over one year old.  He says that it does psychological damage and physical damage to them.  So he suggests that we learn to clip her toenails every four weeks and also consider gluing the soft paw toe nail guards onto her nails.  Has anyone else out there used the Soft Paws nail guards?  If so, what was your experience with them?  Did they work?  Were they hard to put on your cat?  How long did they stay on?  Or do you have more than one scratching post for your cat and keep it's claws clipped?   I would appreciate any advice. 
Annabelle's Mom

I myself Im a believer in soft paws (or other similiar brands, there are several), if you are desperate and the usual nail clipping, scratching trees etc, doesnt work.

I shall ask a mod to move this your post to Behavior forum (or Grooming and Care, Im not sure which is best), and make your post into your own thread.   I suspect you happened to misclick somewhere...

Do not declaw, ever never,  so will my Good luck follow you.

Last edited: