soft claws

jaci

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, I'm a newcomer to the forum. I've adopted a 5 year old cat who does not care to have her nails clipped. I don't want to do anything as drastic as have her declawed, even though I have to have her spayed as part of the agreement from the humane society. Has anyone tried the soft claws ? I've seen them advertised on a shopping site here. Do they work? Etta is such a doll I really hate to cause her anymore discomfort than I have to.
For a little history on Etta, she's a very small gray/black tabby over white. She was blinded as a kitten when someone sprayed her in the face with hair spray & never cared for her. She can see shadows & gets along quite well. She is so lovable, that her previous owners must have been kind to her despite their lack of care. The couple devorced awhile back & now the man is moving & that's how Etta wound up at the humane society & now in my house. She's a treasure.

[Edited by Jaci on 04-01-2001 at 08:21 PM]

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jaci:

Lots of people like Soft Paws. I know that my vet uses them.

donna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jaci,

I have 7 cats who have their nails clipped every two weeks. I live alone so it can be very difficult if you have a squiggly cat. I try to do it when my daughter is here. She holds them by the scruff of their neck and another arm around their mid-section while I do the clipping. Afterwards, I give them a treat.

I have heard that soft paws are wonderful by many people. Declawing is cruel and inhumane. Please, the cat has been through enough already.

swalker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A friend of mine just got soft paws put on his kitty. Purple one's they are so cute. They don't seem to bother the cat at all which is a good thing. Unfortunately I heard that you have to go back and have them re-done every few weeks. I suppose if you don't want the furniture and such to get clawed it's not that bad of a deal.

amanda

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
erm.....what are soft paws. I am living outside the USA...but they sound wonderful.

ladynight

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Soft claws can be found in the Drs. Foster and Smith catalog. My Bo who I adopted has been wearing them now for almost 3 months. He has never tried to take them off. They are wonderful. They do last on the adult cats 4 to six weeks. Kittens claws grow quicker. After the initial application all your doing is replacing as they come off.
The new kitty I rescued from next door. Abandoned by owner was a half wild ally cat when they got it. Needless to sayy I have spent 2 wks getting it use to having it paws handled and finally clipping claws. Today I put on his first sett of soft claws. It went wonderful. No immediate chewing ect. Just acted like no big deal. I highly recommend. More humane than declawing. I will love the color ones. Easier to see than the clear.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaci

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Amanda, soft claws are like nail covers for cats. They're glued on over the claw & last about 4-6 weeks. You can get tem from some pet supply stores an d sometimes from your vet. They come in colors or clear. I recently tried to order them from the cat catalog Drs. Foster & Smith. The cost was about $20.00. Unfortuately they were out of stock & couldn't tell me if they would be getting them again. etta's mom

amanda

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is there a web site of can someone please pass the number for Drs. Foster & Smith on to me - sounds like a need a few of these little gems

illusion

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has anyone bought the claw caps and applied them to the cat themselves? The vet in town doesn't carry them, and only one or 2 vets in the main city here carry them. I was wondering, once you saw the vet apply them, do you think you could apply them yourselves? Also let me know how long they last on your cats! I am VERY interested in these and have been since I first saw them back in 1995!
Sateycat has ruined numerous sheet sets, and even my expensive comforter by stretching out and geting his back claws stuck in the material.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
They have their own website actually:

http://www.softpaws.com

I once asked them and they said they will send interntionally if anyone's interested.

illusion

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Anne
They have their own website actually:

http://www.softpaws.com

I once asked them and they said they will send interntionally if anyone's interested.
Yes, but I would love to hear real testimonials from people who've used them. Like, how it was applying them, how long they stayed on, etc...

ladynight

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey I am using on both my cats. They stay on great an very easy to apply really. Just get cats use to having nails handled , trimmed ect. Read directions an is 1 2 3 thier on. My cats have not even paid any attention to them being on. I recommend Highly. No walls carpet or furniture have suffered since they began wearing them. They still paw.. but no damage to surfaces.
Use them.

illusion

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
LadyNight, from what I've read in the forum you've only just recently applied the SoftPaws to your cats. Please let me know when they fall off, and how long they stayed on

Thanks

ladynight

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well I started in february. they stayed on actually 6 wks or more on the one cat. I had to trim one or two off to apply new ones. Trick is just fill the first 3rd of cap.
they cant be easier as far as I am concerned. Try writing the site about them I am sure they can supply you with more testimonials than mine. Good luck.

airprincess

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm going to go get soft paws put on my girls this weekend. they are still very skittish & shy so I'm not going to attempt this myself. I'll let the vet worry about it.

mofong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been clipping claws for as long as I can remember. With the soft paws, can they still climb up a cat condo? My fear with covering the claws is that they couldn't climb up their "tree". I clip about every two weeks, and sometimes more for the little one. The older one has had his claws clipped since he was about 1 year old (he's 7 now). After my second visit to the vet, and paying $10, I bought the clippers myself and clipped them. He knows now that as soon as I'm done, he runs to the "snack" cabinet and gets a treat. The little one doesn't seem to care, since I've been trimming her since she was 8 weeks old.

lalaleylee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been looking into getting these for my kitten. Do you only put them on the front claws?