Soft Claws.....hmm

lovemyzeus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My order of Soft Claws arrived today, Zeus is not a big fan! He has lost 3 of them already, one I found one and had to replace the other two 

Last edited:

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am NOT a fan, but the good thing about them is that they cause owners to clip their cats nails, and for that reason alone, they will help save cats lives.  I think keeping nails clipped reqularly is sufficient, and I don't think the soft paws do anything important other than look cute and make people feel safe.  They are probably annoying to the cats.  Cats get pleasure and also mark territory by clawing.  It's best to have lots of things around they like to claw, cardboard scratchers, sisal rope posts, sometimes a great comfy old armchair which you spray with catnip to attract them, while you spray the things you do NOT wn\ant them scratching with perfume (cats hate perfume).  Clip the nails at least weekly, provide good things to scratch on, and you can probably forget about the soft paws.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lovemyzeus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am NOT a fan either, we have had to replace three more soft claws since my last post!

Zeus has a cool little gym/climber that he loves to scratch on, it is the highest point he can climb in our living room. He also have a smaller scratch post that we just moved in front of the lanai slider so he can look out while he stretches out and scratches on it.

Zeus has been very good at only scratching on those two items, which are his to do so. The problem is he scratches my son and I quite a bit, playfully but leaving scratch marks on our arms, lol.

He does not let me trim his nails, (he hates it actually) but I always manage to get them trimmed <-- This is the gym that has that sisal rope on all of the posts 

<-- we moved this small scratcher in front of the lanai sliding window after we got his gym/climber so he can see outside. 

Since I have to trim his nails to put the soft claws on anyway, I don't think I will buy them again 

Thanks for your response 

Last edited:

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Keep up the claw clipping because eventually he will learn to tolerate it better.  Sometimes you may only manage to get 2 or 3 claws cut at a time with a fussy cat, but just keep going.  It will not get any easier when he's bigger so get him used to it now while he's small.

macha 143

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Aww...Zeus, looking so handsome!

I never use soft claw...Macha scratched my neck, arms and legs too I am so afraid to cut it by myself so vet do it for me.