Socializing

Messa14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I rescued a kitten at 4 weeks old. Hes now 3 1/2 months old. He's a typical kitten that plays hard and bites. He can turn mean at times. Is he too old be socialized with another cat? I feel that even though we play with him a lot, he's still not burning off enough energy. I don't want to get another kitten for him if its not going to be a happy ending. He's also getting neutered in 2 weeks. Will that calm him down a little?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This type of behavior is common with young kittens who aren't around Mom or other cats too soon. It's one of the reasons we recommend waiting for the kitten to be 12 weeks old so they can learn manners and Cat 101. However that can't always happen.

While some of it will be helped with neutering, not all of it will. Some cats remain just as hyper after being neutered. While getting another kitten will give him a playmate and help him learn some there are steps you can take at home.

Such as, any time he gets too rough or you feel the slightest touch of tooth or claw you say "Ow!" loud and sharp. Think bad overreacting stereotypical. You want him to pause and be startled by the sudden reaction. Then completely and totally ignore him for a ten count. No looking at him, touching him, playing, nothing. If you can turn your back on him even. Then go back to as if nothing had happened.

It will feel silly the first few times. It will feel silly to do it with the slightest touch. But it works. Your kitten learns very quickly that he hurts you and that will stop most of the overly aggressive play. But you have to commit to doing it everytime and every person in your family.

As an example of how well it works. I took my cat to the vet yesterday. The vet was pressing on a wound to see if it was an abcess. My cat kept trying to paw the vet away but never once used claws in the pawing. The vet walked away without a single scratch.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Messa14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We weren't planning to get him until he was older but something happened to his mom and siblings. We do yell ow loud but we have a two year old that thinks its funny when he nibbles and plays, fortunately he doesn't usually get real rough with him. Vet told us that he seems like a " crabby cat".Do you think another slightly older kitten will help to play with or could we be opening a bad can of worms?

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We dealt with something similar with our cat Duncan. He was loving but very bitey. Followed all the steps to suggesting in a thousand internet sites and nothing worked. Ever been bitten in the armpit at 2 in the morning? It'll wake you up.

In the end we got another cat who was maybe 8 months old when Duncan was about 5-6 months old. It was a rocky introduction but Barry helped tire out Duncan and teach him some manners even though Barry is very submissive to Duncan.

If you can handle a second cat, I would do it sooner than later and aim to get a cat about the same age or maybe a little older by a month or two. You want an energetic newcomer to take on the energetic resident cat.