Socializing Semi-Feral Help!

missriss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In the beginning of February my cousin and I rescued a pretty tame, semi-feral girl named Gypsy Rose. She had been living her life (3 - 4 years) at a OSH. She was TNR'd in 2014. OSH has told all employees not to feed her anymore or there would be consequences. She was obviously starving and has been there her  whole life so my cousin and I took her in hopes to socialize her for either adoption by us or someone we know. 

We currently have her in our converted patio (carpet, windows, screens, etc). She seems okay, she eats and drinks water and uses her letterbox. She will eat treats in front of my cousin, but she still hides when we come out there. 

End of March we decided to let my resident cat Big Orange Boy Baxter
 (who is a 15.5 lb super mellow goofball) out there to see if she was lonely. They are basically best friends now. So this has been happening for a couple weeks now, but she still hides if we come out there even if Baxter is out there too. 

When my cousin goes out there she gets really close to her and can pet her kinda. When I go out there (I am out here now) I just kind of hang back. She hides but grooms herself and sleeps. I don't want to push her!

I know its only been 2 months, but I was hoping to get some advice as far as getting her to trust us so she feels comfortable to come out. Not expecting her to be a lovey dove lap kitty, but hoping for a cat that tolerates human existence! 
 I don't know how happy she will be in a home if she hides from people 24/7.

Thanks in advance!

MissRiss

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Being a mature adult it is a great adjustment for her to be in a home/porch with regular human interactions.

So it will be on her time, when she feels confident and trusts enough, and she will, before you know it she will start coming out, or be out and not run and hide when you come out too.

You can befriend her sooner by spending time laying on the floor, her level is much less intimidating.

You can offer her treats like a bit of tuna in your hand or temptation treats, let her come and take it from your open hand.

Don't stare in her eyes for more than a short glance, you can talk in a soft non threatening voice or sing, acting like you are not all that interested in her, do this as often as you can and it will help speed up the trust :)

shouldercats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My former feral cat got used to me by just watching me from a distance while I worked.  I would open the door to his room while I worked in the adjacent room with my back turned to him.  After a few months of that, he warmed up to me a bit.  At least he didn't run when I came around.   That was a full year ago. Now, he is totally tame and is the most affectionate lap cat I have ever seen!  What a change from a year ago! 

Deb

• Purraise
Reactions: RLG

shouldercats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
"Hiding from people 24/7"....  My former feral used to live inside my sleeper sofa.   Not under the sleeper sofa, but INSIDE it.    When I would walk into the room,  I could hear him clawing his way up into the sleeper sofa.  On the back side of it, I could see a bump half way up where he would somehow hang out.  

After your semi-feral cat figures out that you are the one feeding him (be sure you let the feral see you providing the food),  they'll come around.  Basically ignore the feral and let him/her get used to your presence.  Once the feral cat comes around,  in my experience, they turn out to be the BEST cat.  I think they remember how hard their life was before you came along! 

I have tamed 2 ferals lately and each time, I am totally amazed at how loving they turned out to be!   It takes time, though.  It took me a full 5 months before I could ever so lightly pet Bronco (my avatar).  Now, he's a shoulder cat!!   Night and day the differences!

Key Moment: If the feral blinks @ you, that means you got 'em!   A year ago, when Bronco was still wild, I thought I might have to release him..... he was so wild, literally climbing the walls and scratching the drywall around the windows after MONTHS of being in the house.   Then, one day, from afar, he blinked at me.  A very slow blink.   That's when I knew I had him (or rather he had me!).  I knew I couldn't release him at that moment!    Patience!  

After the feral calms down, you will be wondering "who rescued who?"

Deb     

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missriss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As soon as I submitted this thread she VERY SLOWLY came out to hang out to Baxter while I was sitting on the floor. Glad to hear success stories!! She's such a lovely lady I hope she loves people eventually.

MissRiss

• Purraise
Reactions: RLG

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

As soon as I submitted this thread she VERY SLOWLY came out to hang out to Baxter while I was sitting on the floor. Glad to hear success stories!! She's such a lovely lady I hope she loves people eventually.

MissRiss
A step in the right direction :)

She will likely never "love people" in general, but she will love and trust you.

An adult who tames will still react as a feral and hide when new humans come around, but with you she will forget she's supposed to be on guard in time.

Doorbell rings? She will disappear in to thin air, they never will lose that streak in them with strangers.

I also strongly agree that they never forget the time they spent homeless, no love, security of a home, no sense of belonging in this world, no comfort, and the constant state of high alert and survival that cats on the streets have to endure, it's such a tragic existence for them, often the only human interactions they have are things being thrown at them to make them go away, yelled at, treated as a nuisance. 

Yet ferals are domesticated too, this is so misunderstood from people who just don't get it.

There are no truly wild cats, every feral once their fear of the unknown (humans) is overcome, is the very same as our loving indoor cats. Exactly the same, same wants and needs.

I had the honor of being taught this years ago from a very, very special little girl who I rescued, and I will always be so grateful for her, what she taught me, how much love and gratitude she felt, and in the end, the special way she thanked me.

Forever in my heart, Destiny. 

You will have a wonderful friend and companion in her someday.

Last edited:

missriss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any other promising signs to look out for? I want to start feeding her wet food in the morning as well as night (which I already do) but she isn't very active during the day and I don't think she would eat it????

missriss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since Gypsy is really attached to my Resident cat and seems to be more at ease with him and actually comes out of hiding I am thinking of giving him more access to the patio (Where we have her right now). I'm thinking of rigging a cat door to my bedroom window to allow him access when its unlocked.

Right now when he isn't out there she hides all day and eats only at night. Would this be helpful to her/him or not? Thoughts? Has anyone had a similar experience with a foster semi-feral and resident cat?

Attachments