Socializing a new cat

missthisbe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
I adopted a cat about a month ago estimated to be about five years old although she acts much younger. I currently have one other cat that I have raised since she was a kitten. She is now fourteen and has always been a very gentle but skittish kitty. She had always lived with my Siamese, whom we lost this winter to a stroke, and she adored her. My older cat tolerates the new cat but is very wary of her and sometimes groans or cowers when she gets too close. The new cat is not at all bothered by other cats and is generally very energetic and curious. I’ve noticed that she often claims places that my older cat is very fond of, like a favorite bed or the top of the couch. After she has been sitting there, even if only for a few minutes, my older cat seems to become wary and won’t use the spot anymore, but she will stand a few feet away and watch it like she would like to. I was wondering if I can do anything to encourage the cats to best get along. Should I dissuade the younger cat from using places that the older cat sees as a safe spot, or is it better to let them work it out gradually on their own? I don’t want the older cat to feel like she is being displaced in her home.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for taking in this cat. For only a month together and both being adults, they are both actually doing quite well.

If the younger isn’t actually threatening the older or stopping her from using the litter box I lean towards letting them work it out. Your older is still getting used to the scent of the younger and that is probably why she won’t use her sleeping spaces after the younger has been in them. This will probably not last forever. I would add in, though, some new sleeping places, maybe a heated bed for your older and a couple more up high and partially sleeping spaces just so that each has a few more choices.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missthisbe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh we’ve got a cat bed in every room and a nice new scratch lounger but of course the only one that’s ever interesting to the new cat is whichever one the older cat currently seems to want. I do think the younger one likes her, though, and really kind of craves her attention.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh we’ve got a cat bed in every room and a nice new scratch lounger but of course the only one that’s ever interesting to the new cat is whichever one the older cat currently seems to want. I do think the younger one likes her, though, and really kind of craves her attention.
I think so too and I think they have great potential to work it out and become friends.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree about getting some additional spaces, such as perches or cat trees and see if either the new or resident cat will use them. That will offer both more places to choose from - and, with any luck after more time the younger cat might actually find a spot of her own and stop 'stealing' locations from your resident cat. A proper introduction process might have yielded better results - I take it you didn't do that... But if they are not fighting, and your resident cat is eating/drinking/using the litter box OK, there is not a lot more you can do other than make sure your resident cat gets extra attention and loving from you in order to build up her confidence a bit. The new cat is likely trying to establish dominance, which as long as your resident cat isn't negatively impacted is probably how this is going to play out.

missthisbe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We did do a proper introduction and there is no actual fighting between them. I think they’re actually doing pretty well but I just worry about how nervous my older cat can be about new things.

missthisbe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Between a gradual introduction and an initial quarantine since the younger cat had giardia when I adopted her, I should maybe have explained that it's been about two weeks since they've first begun fully interacting with each other.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Two weeks is like no time at all for an older cat, so that is probably why things aren't better - your older cat is still not accustomed enough to the new cat. I still think the new cat's behavior is one of attempting domination - taking over the older cat's spots can be one of the ways they try to do so. Just pay extra attention to your older cat and make sure she doesn't start to show signs that suggests there is a bigger issue brewing (litterbox issues, not eating/drinking as much, generalized change in personality, hiding, etc.).

Hopefully, with a few more spots like perches/cat trees that the new cat can call her own, things will continue to progress positively! Keep us posted!