Socializing A Kitten Making Slow Progress

LisaBLee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

Im fostering 3 kittens that came to me 3 weeks ago that are about 3.5/4 months old. When they first arrived they were pretty hissy and scared. I had them penned for the first week and half and when I started to see progress I took down the pen and let them roam in the room. The two boys have become absolute love bugs, but their sister hasn’t progressed as quickly as they have. I’ve tried to pay more attention to her. She licks food from my fingers and plays over my legs, but any attempt at my hands nearing her or the toy wand touching her startles her. She sits near me, hangs out with me, but has never liked touching. It’s a stark contrast with her brothers who I thought might have an influence on her if she sees that they love sitting in my lap, on my shoulder, getting belly rubs, etc.

Two days ago, I decided maybe I needed to pen her again so that we are forced to be in the same smaller space (with me sitting in the pen). She lets me touch her slowly, but does not seem to be enjoying it. Her brothers go crazy playing on top of the pen.

Am I torturing her by keeping her in a pen while her brothers runs free? Should I keep at this with her enclosed. I could let her run free, but it could take a long time and I was hoping to adopt her with one of her brothers but they’re ready and she isn’t.

Just curious if anyone has encountered siblings where some progressed and others didn’t.

Thank you!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats like touch, some do not. She may come to enjoy it more as she ages, but may not either. I think putting her in the pen, and trying to force touch on her will cause her to hate it more. You cant force a cat to enjoy physical contact, they have to want it. I would let her run free, and try to find someone who will enjoy her for the personality she is.

My little white cat hated touch for a long time, and still does a lot of the time. She is 3 now, and really only want me to pet and love on her when im in bed. Then she jumps up and cuddles right against me, and she only started doing this about 6 months or so ago. The rest of the time its NO touching.. lol. I don't push it. I let her set the pace, and come to me for petting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LisaBLee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! You’re right; I’m comparing them to each other and maybe she spent too much time outside as a female and her instincts to be more protective of herself (before she was spayed) kicked in.
They were part of a larger tnr project where the older siblings and cats they were trapped with were returned because it was deemed they didn’t like human interaction. At 3 months I had no idea what to expect because everything I’ve read said up to 8 weeks is prime socialization time, beyond that it’s up in the air.
I may have to adopt out the boys sooner than her and let her be her. Thank you again:)