Socializing a feral: The story of Lucky

sandi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much, Jeanie G. I truly appreciate your kind words. I'm just happy that we were in the right place at the right time. Even though this past winter wasn't quite as hard as previous one's, I feel better knowing Lucky didn't have to try to survive out there. That's rewarding all in itself.

brirach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sandi: My rule of thumb with "ferals" is not to trust vets, vet techs, Humane Society, etc. as to who is too old to tame and become an indoor kitty. Four to five months of age is not too old to tame if the little guy has not been abused by humans. There is a great Feral__Cat Group on Yahoo. I too am learning about ferals/strays and I wish I had not taken the vets and my no-kill shelter "expert"s advice the first time I trapped four kittens who were five months old. I released them and have deeply regretted it. Since then I trapped the momma of these kittens, and I am successfully "taming" her. She now sleeps on our bed with my other kitties; she eats moist food in my presence with my kitties; my kitties groom her; she always uses the litter box. She is gradually coming to trust me. I love her so much. Still learning but encouraged onward by my Maggie.

brirach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sandi: Your Lucky and my Maggie are among the fortunate ones. Glad you were so patient and kind. Two wonderful girls.

brirach: Miracle Kitty Brina, Jesse James, Teddy B., Meicka, and Maggie

clarabelle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
North Mississippi, just far enough away from MELVI
Hello Sandi,
I read your story several months ago and thought, it only takes patience with animals and you have taught me alot. So the first of June we introduced 2 new kittens to our 1 year old, but started by putting the kittens in one room and keeping the door shut. Then in steps a week at a time, letting the older cat Bk, see the kittems (Bk was freaked out by the kittens so we took it slow) Leave the door open let Bk look at them, then he would run away, took a week of this. Next Bk would hiss when the kittens saw him and wanted to play. So a month later they are the best of friends and we can not keep BK away from them

I had to remember, let the cats tell you when they are ready and my first sign was when Bk was playing footsies under the door with the kittens

Yours is a wonderful story
Clara

sandi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks Clarabelle and Brirach!!!

First of all, I am so happy that my story has helped anybody at all - whether it be in a big way or a small way! That it has accomplished that is wonderful. I was so happy to hear about the kittens and BK becoming great friends, Clarabelle!!! Great News!!!
I'm so proud of all of you!!!

Brirach - I know what you mean about our kids being the fortunate ones. I, too, ended up taking some feral kittens in to Animal Control fairly recently and have regretted it ever since. I will never do that again. Even though it took an extreme amount of patience (which I have to admit, I didn't know I truly possessed), it was well worth it. Lucky has become SO loving to both my husband and myself. And, she even tolerates the kitten (Charm) eating wet food out of the same bowl. I couldn't believe that. Charm sometimes will just hoard in and Lucky acts as if Charm is her baby or something. They play so nice and are great friends. It brings a smile to me every time I watch them together.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sandi, I can just Imagine Lucky and Charm together!!!! I'm so glad we stickied this story... it is so wonderful, and I, too, am so glad that it's helping other people! You're all angels!!!!!!

sandi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They aren't actually playing in this one, just being comfortable companions. I will work on getting the playing picture for you - usually they're so quick and rambunctious while playing - it could be difficult. I actually have videoed them playing - it's just easier that way.

sandi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Another cute one from this morning - Lucky and her new buddy Charm...

sandi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks Laurie -

It's so funny because Lucky tends to favor Kevin, even though she has really warmed up to me in these past months (after all, I'm the one who feeds her, cleans the litterbox, brushes her, plays with her, etc); and Charm has taken to me. I am so happy that she loves Lucky, but if I come in the room, a lot of times, Charm will run up to greet me - and, of course, she sleeps with me. If I'm not ready for bed by a certain time, Charm will just sit and watch me as if telling me, "Okay, Mom, let's go - ready to go to bed now". Lucky will come in and sit on the window sill or even the bed for a bit, but then she always leaves. I cannot get her to stay and actually sleep in the bedroom with us. Maybe in time.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw, looks like Charm got a great big sister!

LOL Sandi - you sound so much like me and Ophelia with Miss Lucky. I feed her, clean the litterboxes, play with her, sleep with her - and she's STILL Daddy's girl! It did take a little while for Ophelia to be comfortable sleeping with us, but now she DEMANDS that hubby go to bed with her! Sometimes she tells him to go to bed in the middle of the day so she has someone to snuggle with.

cookie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thanx for the pics Sandi!They are great! How cute! Charm reminds me of my Leo from the coat pattern, and same thing, Piper never sleeps with us on the bed, but will stay on the floor or window seal, and Leo always sleeps with us! Thats a cute story about ophelia! Piper demands to be on hubby's lap, even when he is busy working and puts her down, she jumps back up! what daddy girls they are when we do all the work!!!

clancy_ carrol

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Taming a feral cat is not for everyone. Not everyone has the patience or the predisposition or the time to commit to the undertaking. Just the apprehension associated with facing the teeth and claws of a wilkd cat is enough to elimate m,any people from the ranks of potential tamers. Fear is the greatest enemy of the tamer-the uneasy feeling in the oit of the stomach when faced with the possibility of bodily harm-this can ber "read" by the cat. But for some, fear notwithstanding, it is a challenge whose rewards far outweigh the possibility of physical discomfort. When this "wild" cat crosses over to the tamer"s world it offers up its true personality and inherited nature, its trustandits love. Tat is what makes the challenge irresistable.-carrol clancy from book"taming the feral cat"

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Having worked with ferals for over 12 years now, and dealing with the ones that have behavior problems, the ones that people readily give up on- I have to say that when people claim they can tame a feral cat that bothers me. Socializing them, yes. Getting them to accept certain humans in their lives, teaching them to use the litterpan- though most of them already do this readily enough anyway as it is an inherent survival trait in all of them.

But expecting them to behave like domesticated cats, sit on laps and not leap off at the first unexpected noise or vibration, and to not ever bite or scratch is unrealistic and why in many cases so many ferals are given up on. You have to reset your thinking about cats when you have a feral and you have to follow their time schedule not yours. They do not have predicatable behavior, but in my opinion, they do make the best cats of all once the bond has been set!

clancy_ carrol

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, hissy, feral cats CAN be tamed to sit on the lap,purr bumpheads with you.. That is why I wrote my book"taming the feral cat". I have been taming them for over 20 years. I developed a three week program tha tdeals with the "hands on tmaing process." as I quoted in my previous note to the forum NOT all people can tame a feral cat, And you are right NOT all ferals want to be tamed. Maybe 2 out of 5 will WANT to be tamed. Yes the percentages are low, however THEY CAN be tamed.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well that's good that you think that. I don't recall ever seeing your book? I have most books about ferals in my personal library. Where can I obtain a copy of yours?

clancy_ carrol

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello, again. The book is self published so it is not on the open market, I reprint them then usually advertize them in several sites or in magazines. I have just a few left as I want to advertize them on my web site as soon as its done> I am awaiting that now waiting for donations to recopy the next batch. I wrote it in 1999. I have sold and given away at least 1000 of them they only sell for 13.50. they are about 60 pages long I would send you a copy , if you give me your address.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This thread is incredible. I have gone from tears streaming down my face to a big fat smile.. back and forth. Unbelievable.. Sandi you are so amazing and this story is just awesome. I am speechless.

sandi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks Sicycat,

I am just so happy that our story has touched so many people. I, too, got educated about feral cats as I went along - which at times was so difficult. But...tonight as Lucky came and stretched out on the bed for snuggles, I realize how well worth it the whole process was. We currently have 2 ferals we've been feeding for a couple months now (maybe longer - time gets away from me). One is a male and another a female. We're hoping to do the trap-neuter-return program, but first I want to double check to make sure these feral felines aren't going to be given over to animal control. If nothing else, we'll trap them and take them to our own vet for sterilization and return them to the outside when they're ready. They are both so darling, but we don't need anymore kittens born in back of our garage.

Again, I'm so glad Lucky's story has affected you - the transformation in our girl was absolutely amazing.

One sidenote - my mom came and stayed with us for a few days and during that time, I thought Lucky would stay hiding, but my mom was in our home no longer than about 10 minutes and Lucky was right by the window watching the birds. She'd just look at my mom (as if to study her), but I was thrilled she didn't hide away the whole time. Another hurdle overcome. Hurray!!!