Socializing 6 year old neutered tomcat and 7 month old kitten

tml1991

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How long do you all think it will take for my 6 year old cat and 6 month old cat to get along? They seem to follow each other sniffing one another, which seems fine. But often lately the kitten will chase after the older cat and the older cat will get mad. Earlier today it looked like my older cat was about to get aggressive with my kitten after my kitten kept swiping at his tail. The 6 year old cat was also 3 when he got fixed due to him being indoor/outdoor cat until then. He also has no teeth, due to his extractions last year. The kitten is getting fixed on Monday. Is the sniffing normal? Is the aggression expected. There was no hissing, but my older cat walking a little faster than usual towards the kitten and swatting at him with his paw. How long does it usually take a kitten and middle aged cat to get along? The kitten is male and was always outside until a few weeks ago when it wanted to come in. I spent much of the summer slowly warming it up to me. Now it likes to lick my face and hands and follow me everywhere. My older cat sits beside me all the time. I keep them separated though for the reasons mentioned above. Is there anything I could do to help with them bonding?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise