socialization older kittens

Chelecakes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been doing TNR at a local park. While doing this I trapped kittens I thought were much younger but are at least 4 months just under weight. I’ve been able to get one fixed and have had them about 7 weeks they have been making some improvements they eat from my hand and learned how to play but they hiss and don’t let me touch. Is it too long to put back in park after fix both? Or reverse if continue to socialize can I not move them out of bedroom till I can touch? I’ve rescued before but much younger and never this mean. Any help appreciated?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi
I don't think this is being mean, it's part bravado and part fear, and self preservation.

It sounds to me as though they just need some more time. When you're able to interact with them behaving more calmly, do you intend to try and have them adopted?

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
They were very young when you got them and I think it would be cruel to release them. They just need more time and the chances are extremely high that they will come around to trust you. But if you decide you can’t help them please find another rescue to take them.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chelecakes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I am thinking just going to keep trying it’s going to be colder soon and I couldn’t put them outside. They are still in a bedroom with litter box and tree. how long can they stay in there to socialize?

Chelecakes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
another suggestion I have had is to separate them but I don’t agree they sleep together and play. any opinion on this?

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
If you don’t have other pets and I would start letting explore other rooms. The more time they spend in your presence the more comfortable they will become.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
If you have a mix of males and females you'd need to separate them around the age of four months old.

Chelecakes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two other cats both are around six years old both fixed. both of the kittens are males one is already fixed and vaccinated since I was able to get him back in trap. I am attempting to get other one in carrier but he lunges and hisses when i attempt I will have to use towel. I just didn’t want to traumatize him.

Chelecakes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So suggestion is once both fixed vaccinated do slow intro to other cats and just let them explore? I also have a screened in porch that I think they would like. I just wasn’t sure if should let them out of room since they are so scared

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
If they're scared, I don't think there's a real need to rush them in to the larger area yet since they may find a place to hide and not come out, but you could try the screened in porch. Just continue going in, talking to them, petting the ones that let you, that sort of thing :)