Socialization Issues

sabrinamcm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm going to preface my situation, and it's a bit of a long story, so please bare with me.
My boyfriend and I recently adopted a 7wk old female kitten, and we've named her Penny. She only has 3 legs, but she's a sweet little ball of energy, and nothing stops her from getting around. However, we are currently staying with my Boyfriend's parents, as we're saving up for a house. At our house, we've got 3 cats. One of them is mine, his name is Ty, he's a neutered 5yr old male. Our bedroom serves as Ty's main space. The other cats have not been a problem, as they haven't come in contact with her.
The issue we're currently having is with socialization. The mom refused to allow me to use the only spare bedroom to keep Penny in for her first week of being home. She only allowed us the weekend to keep her in there. While I was out of the house, the mom allowed Ty into the room to see her while she slept. Apparently, things went well until she woke up, and Ty began hissing and growling at Penny. We've since kept the two separated over the weekend, but they haven't had the opportunity to properly socialize with positive association. The mom has demanded that we move Penny into our room, and we've had no other choice but to do so. Ty has since allowed Penny to be in the bedroom without hissing at her, but will do so if she comes within two feet of him. Penny, on the other hand, wants to rush up to him at every opportunity, but it turns into a hissing and growling mess. The mom says that if we can't force the cats to get along that we will have to get rid of Penny, and I'm not willing to do that.
I'm seriously at a loss here. I don't want Ty to feel like he can't be comfortable in his own space, but I'm also not happy that Penny can't even move freely around the room without upsetting him. Right now, I'm between a rock and a hard place. I have to keep her in our room, but I don't want to kick Ty out. Can anyone please offer some constructive advice? This situation is becoming more and more sensitive every day that this continues. We've only had Penny for 5 days, and I have no opportunities to socialize them properly. Any tips on socializing within the room?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow! Sorry for the circumstances you are under.

The only things I can think of are:

Confine Penny to a large crate, perhaps one that can be placed up high enough to allow limited visualization between the two cats.

If this bedroom is big enough, you could also buy wire shelving from a DIY store and build a moveable "wall" allowing each of them to have parts of the room to themselves. You could even place sheets over the 'wall' to block them from seeing each other at times, or affix cardboard at the lower level of the 'wall' for maximum separation. The shelving can be placed together with zip ties or wiring to allow the wall to be folded when you want to open up the space.

Or, do you have a bathroom that is used exclusively by your and your boyfriend that could be Penny's new home for a while?

Whatever rendition of separation you can create... Then use some of the techniques in these TCS articles (see links below) - obviously adapted for your particular situation.

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

Hopefully other members will come along with some ideas that you can try as well. Keep us posted!!

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds good! make space for Penny to move around and safe space for TY, worst case figure out a way to separate the spaces, but it doesn't sound too bad, they are not fighting-good thing!! Cat Tree by the window? or shelves for both?

Sorry about your situation, hope you guys are able to make it a short stay, but this is doable, takes time and effort!

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those articles are good ones that Feebysowner suggested, there is also info on Jackson Galaxy website, I think you can use playing and treats to socialize too,
something good that they can associate with each other!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sabrinamcm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
View attachment 293631 Ty

Confine Penny to a large crate, perhaps one that can be placed up high enough to allow limited visualization between the two cats.

If this bedroom is big enough, you could also buy wire shelving from a DIY store and build a moveable "wall" allowing each of them to have parts of the room to themselves. You could even place sheets over the 'wall' to block them from seeing each other at times, or affix cardboard at the lower level of the 'wall' for maximum separation. The shelving can be placed together with zip ties or wiring to allow the wall to be folded when you want to open up the space.

Or, do you have a bathroom that is used exclusively by your and your boyfriend that could be Penny's new home for a while?

Whatever rendition of separation you can create... Then use some of the techniques in these TCS articles (see links below) - obviously adapted for your particular situation.

Hopefully other members will come along with some ideas that you can try as well. Keep us posted!!

Thanks so much for the advice. Unfortunately, our room isn't big enough to support a large cage, but we may be able to section the room off for them! That's a great idea, and just might work. Thanks for the ideas and replies. I'll read that article and see if I can't pick up a little more knowledge. Thanks again for your help! I've also purchased some Feliway pheromones to help keep them calm. Penny is just a hyper little girl, and Ty is a chill guy, so hopefully that will help even the tension.

sabrinamcm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That sounds good! make space for Penny to move around and safe space for TY, worst case figure out a way to separate the spaces, but it doesn't sound too bad, they are not fighting-good thing!! Cat Tree by the window? or shelves for both?

Sorry about your situation, hope you guys are able to make it a short stay, but this is doable, takes time and effort!
It will definitely take some time. We don't have a cat tree, but we do have some tall chairs that the cats like to lounge in. And nope, no fighting! Ty hasn't swatted at her and hasn't attempted to hurt her, he just gets frustrated when she comes close. If he's in his tall chair, he doesn't seem to mind her presence since she can't get up there. (: I suppose it could be worse.

sabrinamcm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Those articles are good ones that Feebysowner suggested, there is also info on Jackson Galaxy website, I think you can use playing and treats to socialize too,
something good that they can associate with each other!!
Right? I'll definitely check out the articles. Jackson Galaxy is awesome, and I've done my best to implement his methods. However, given our situation, it's been difficult to maintain separation and positive association thus far. But hopefully we can split up the room to keep visual access to a minimum.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 cats that are separated right now, and there are others here that are way more experienced at it than me, we can help.
Just have to get creative, your room will look weird but it's doable!
Hang in there!
Just ask questions when you need to. When you get to the questions part
there is someone that I will ask to come and help answer questions too!

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually the crate Idea Feebysowner posted is a great idea, so Ty can see penny without being threatened Ty can go up to Penny and see how sweet she is!