Social needs of cats

Katdog

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there

we’re a one cat household with a 4 year old cat. She’s not super shy of people,it takes a bit for her to warm up to you but she’s not the type to hideaway for hours bc of a stranger in the home. She does let new ppl pet her. That said, I don’t think a cat sitter is a big deal to her. However I am worried if a week and half of cat sitter life will be enough socializing for her.

we are traveling between three cities in 9 days. Our home city and then two cities were visiting for the holidays. Original plan was to take her in the plane and car with us. Ultimately we would be doing some form of transportation every third day- which my spouse thinks is too much for her and will stress her out. He grew up in a cat per household and have had many cats through his life. I however never had pets and this is my first, and is of the mindset that since we take her on long weekend trips with us with 2-3 hr car rides, she’ll be fine.Despite not agreeing with my spouse, I’ve decided to get a cat sitter for her. However it is our neighbor who we aren’t paying and most likely will just get a thank you gift for their help. They will drop in am and pm for her wet meals, and then I will do an auto feeder for dry snack at midnight as I don’t want her going more than 12 hrs without food (I know with older cats it’s a concern But since we already have an auto feeder-why not). Our neighbor is pretty busy and then agreeing to help us a huge help, so I don’t want to ask for them to stay longer than necessary to play or entertain her. So (sorry for the drawn out details) is 9 days without much/any social time with humans (or any cat) ok for my cat? Or will I come back with her hating me. If 9 days is too long with her being home by herself with hours on end of no social time, I’ll have to coordinate someone else to visit her- or just not go on my trip.

Thoughts?

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I went out of town for a couple weeks earlier this year and paid a neighbor to visit twice a day for wet food and litter box cleaning (and put kibble in the auto feeder). He was planning to play with her but she ended up being pretty shy the entire time and would even wait until he left to use her litter box. She is 8.5 years old and relatively friendly but cautious. Leaving the cat at home definitely seems like the right call in your case. It could help if the neighbor can come meet your cat and hang out a few times before you all leave.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cat-sat on several occasions for several weeks for single cats and they did just fine. I sometimes take a trip for 10 days to two weeks, leaving them in the care of a sitter, and my cats (admittedly, not "only"cats) act like I never was gone.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is your neighbour a cat person? If so they’ll likely naturally pet her, play with her in between the litter tray cleaning and feedings.
have them leave the tv or radio on for noise during the day. I would also pay them to ensure the job is taken seriously or look at hiring a proper cat sitter or using a boarding cattery.