So Worried About My Kitten...

9reasons

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My boy is almost 6 months old and teething. He is chewing on things and leaving blood. Anyway he has stopped eating and drinking and won't touch even water. Tomorrow morning it will be 3 days. He has been to the vet twice and had blood tests which show his pancreas reading up slightly but apparently nothing to be worried about and his sodium was slightly low otherwise all ok. His temperature is up a bit and he has vomited bile a few times since he stopped eating. This morning he had a slightly lose small motion in the litter tray. This morning also he was given an antibiotic injection, anti nausea injection and an appetite stimulant tablet. Still not eating tonight. He is still pretty much himself but I have had to start force feeding with recovery food and a syringe. He is not impressed with that and seems a little lathargic. I am beside myself with worry...why won't he eat or drink?? Is this normal because I am so scared he will die or something! I adore this little man and have been doing everything I can to tempt him to eat. Is this to do with teething? Please help. He is due to go back to the vet yet again tomorrow if he is not eating...how long do you have to force feed for? Do kittens get over this? Thank you so much xx

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is not normal, is very serious and could prove life threatening. He needs more testing, possibly imaging like an ultrasound or xrays, complete blood work if it hasn't been done (like testing for everything).

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with StephenQ. I'm wondering if possibly he ingested something while he was trying to help with his teething, and not he's got some sort of blockage :sigh:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is a potentially fatal situation. He needs to get to the ER vet now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

9reasons

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got him checked over at emergency last night for peace of mind overnight and they suggested a similar thing about a blockage. I got more recovery food into him last night though via syringe that has water mixed with it to keep him hydrated until this morning and there has been no vomiting or runs since the injections...he is still affectionate but a bit subdued right now. I am waiting for his usual vet to open and further tests, fluids, etc is next for him. I have never had anything like this happen before, thank you for the replies.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Whew! I'm glad you got him to the vet. If he's eating and pooping, then it's probably not a blockage. Usually, not always, a blockage leads to no poop, no eating, and throwing up.

I hope you're able to find out what's going on and that he's on the mend soon.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
He hasn't eaten in 3 days? You need to get something in him. There is a chance his liver has been or will be damaged from not eating.

9reasons

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I am at the vets now...all tests are normal. His last two teeth came out while he was being examined...his gums are really sore but at least he is now finished teething. They are just about to do an ultrasound also just to make sure everything is exactly as it should be inside as there were a couple of little areas which were unclear on x-ray. He has gas but has always been a little bit that way...I am going to get him on a good pro-biotic when he is well. If all is well with the ultrasound it will be just super sore teething so an anti-inflammatory injection and home. His hydration is okay so I imagine once the pain in his mouth is suppressed and maybe another appetite stimulant he will come good pretty soon. Omg I feel so much better for him.

9reasons

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My fur baby is at home now...he walked in the door and ate some of his normal food...I swear the vet I just saw is a cat whisperer...I will always see him from now on.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh yay!! What a relief! I'm glad you got him to the vet and he seems to be better!! Woohoo!