So this kitty has no tail.... Lol

fishandbones

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am very much new to cats. I am aware of some breeds but not all obviously. This kitty is very active. Has very unique markings. Very long and skinny. Has semi blue eyes oh and has a stump for a tail. I was told he was born with no tail. What do u think. He was a stray.

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's Gorgeous looks like a Snow Shoe or definitely related

Love the heart Nose!
    Beautiful kitty 

could not find any info about tails, very cute.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
How does his tail feel? Are there any twists of kinks in it or is it straight? I have a lot of cats that carry the Japanese bob tail gene and they have short twisted tails.

Sometimes kittens are born with short tails as a result of inbreeding. You see this quite a lot in kittens from colonies.

He looks a bit like my Sophie.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I didn't know about the inbreeding thing, but I have met an adorable Scottish Fold with a tail like that. apparently it's common with that breed too. He uses it to prop himself up while sitting on his haunches, like a little meerkat. :D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fishandbones

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It feels like a stump. Very small tail. It's quite funny to watch him wag his tail. I just want to make sure he is healthy and that stumpy tail won't cause any future issues. If there will be I want to know what.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
We had a guest expert, Professor Lyons, on TCS a while ago. One of the things discussed was the gene variation that causes short tails.

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/273352/do-they-understand-what-causes-the-bobtail-cat-in-japan

There don't seem to be any health risks associated with short tails. Some kittens born with Manx Syndrome are incontinent, but this is from birth so you would know by now if you cat suffered from it.

All of my short tailed cats are very healthy and energetic, even the older ones.

Can't wait to hear more about your boy as he grows up. What's his name?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fishandbones

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
His name is Weasley Zoolander. Named after Ron weasley and zoolander bc of his blue steel gaze. I never had such an energetic kitty before.