So the first rule of feeding raw is...

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1. Don't put all your meat into the freezer in one giant bag because it will turn into a block of ice stronger than concrete........... :doh3:

I WAS going to put all the pieces into smaller baggies so it would be easier than having to fish through the bag, when I realized that fishing would be impossible. I even slammed the meat cinder block down unto the counter. Nope. Just made a loud noise. :lol3:

Grim keeps jumping into the bathtub, hoping some meat will magically show up. I have quite the carnivore on my hands. :D

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:flail: :flail: :flail: Ah the things we have to learn along the way..... yes, if you buy meat from the supermarket, portion it up and THEN freeze it! Most of the commercial foods are reasonable portioned in to patties or medallions - though even those, if you ordered them online and they arrive partially dethawed - can turn into one chunk of frozen stuff if you don't separate them before re-freezing. :lol3: (wolcar learned that one the hard way. :lol3: ).

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha, yes! I suppose that people who cook meat for themselves and their families know how to handle meat. . .but I didn't know either! (I don't eat meat at home) You'll figure it out eventually, too :D.

wolcar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ha ha This is an all-around learning process for me as well (meat safety, thawing, cleaning, portioning, cuts of meat, etc)  I'm learning so much in this process.

I don't even have a suggestion.  When my Primal froze into one solid block I was able to get a few nuggets separated but I was so afraid to thaw it all and then refreeze again that I ended up throwing it all away *sigh*  I haven't had that problem again, though!

princessesme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think we all have our little hiccups in this new raw feeding! I definitely made another boo-boo lastnight giving Naku a little bit too much kidney for his first time!

Are you able to somewhat dethaw the meat in the fridge, enough to split it up, portion it, and re-freeze? Otherwise, I think you might need a Home Depot run to get a chisel!

Good luck!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yea, it Finally dethawed all the way this morning. I need to go baggie it up as we speak.