So Scared About Letting My Cat Out

Torryh91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all .
Just would like some advice on how to stay calm when my cat goes outside!!
We adopted Fiona 6 months ago, at 3 years old, who had been mistreated so she is naturally a very nervous cat.
About 3 weeks ago we started letting her explore the garden with me occompaning her and she loves it. To begin with she would go back inside when I called her, or shook the treat box. Now though, she isn't interested in the 'call bavk' and it's super stressful trying to get her back in .
Please give me some advice on how to progress because i love this little one so so much and couldn't bare her going missing or worse!
I've suggested to my partner about putting a '' cat fence" up to keep her from going further than the garden but he won't have it.
She also catagorocally will not have a harness on so that's out of the question.
I have thought about not letting her out for a few days to get the recall back...but she's fine in the house with it so not sure how much help that would do and if she would think shes got to stay out longer next time unless she doesn't go back out!
Please help me and my kittycat!!

Tia!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When the weather is beautiful, many cats LOVE being outside. So I don't think there is a magic solution. All I can offer, and it isn't much, is that a cat that you don't often force to come in won't run away from you, which will allow you to bring him in if you need to do that on a particular occasion. So try and only let him out when you have enough time that he'll get hungry and want to go in on his own despite the weather. Like maybe let him out near mealtimes or something like that. Although I have never done so, since you go outside with your cat, you could maybe strengthen the power of the treat bag by giving him a treat every 15-30 minutes outside. This way, he won't always associate you or the treat bag with being forced inside, and when your ready to go in, you can summon him with a treat. (If your only going for a 10 minute walk in the garden won't work obviously.)

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know lots of people still have indoor/outdoor cats, but I honestly would worry myself sick if my Ruby girl went outside by herself. Luckily for me, she has no interest in going outside. I think the time she spent as a stray, taught her that inside is better.

I know that doesn't help you, but I do understand your concern/worry.

So your cat definitely won't do the harness thing. I doubt my Ruby would either, but it is an option for a cat that wants to go outside.
Harness And Leash Training For Cats

What about a catio?
Cat Enclosures

Here's another article on:
How To Keep Your Cat Safe Outdoors

Is she microchipped? Or does she have a collar with your phone number?
How To Save Your Cat's Life With Proper Identification

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Torryh91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. No, we did put a collar on her, did what everyone suggested and built it up slowly but she hated it. When she had it on she just itched and then would hide and stopped even eating so we took it off .She is microchipped yes .
Fiona was also a stray so I know she knows how to look after herdelf. Maybe I am just worrying too much!
She will not allow being picked up or even her tummy being touched and she hates being restrained so im really not sure about a harness. I don't think she iwll tolerate it at all .

Thank you both for your replies. It's really appreciated x

abbyemma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would be worried too, since you love her so much! Sometimes I feel bad that my cat can't go outside, but we open up the slider and she is currently very into her first spring ever (born in October) and just sits there for HOURS smelling and watching. But then I remember that I would be an anxious mess when I can't find her and I know she is in the house! I just console myself with the idea that someday I will have my own house instead of renting and can build a screened in porch.

I heard someone talking about their outdoor/indoor cat on the radio the other day, and they got a device called the "TrackR" and put it on their collar. I don't have the product, so I am not recommending it but I guess it is meant traditionally for important items, like a computer or something, and you can always track where it is. I thought that was a really cool idea, so basically you can watch where your cat is from your phone/ipad/computer. Obviously if she just stays in your yard/with you and your only problem is calling her, that wouldn't really be practical, but I just wanted to throw it out there in case she is exploring more than the garden. I was just looking online and there are a lot of different ones, some specifically for pets, but a lot of them are for dogs so they are probably a little big. Again, if she is just with you this isn't very helpful at all, but it made me think of it.

Good luck!

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't let my cats outside for a million dollars. I'm sorry. I would be a nervous wreck because I grew up with outdoor cats and they always ran off and we never saw them again, or else came back all torn up and bleeding. Not to mention I'd be afraid some psycho would get a hold of them. No. Way.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't let my cats outside for a million dollars. I'm sorry. I would be a nervous wreck because I grew up with outdoor cats and they always ran off and we never saw them again, or else came back all torn up and bleeding. Not to mention I'd be afraid some psycho would get a hold of them. No. Way.
Its all where you live I guess. I live in sleepy suburbia...its news when a coyote is sighted, and I've never heard of a pet getting attacked. I've never seen a pet by the side of the road here. My cats run away from fight situations and yowl at the door until we let them back in. Live on a cul-de-sac, and the few times I've seen them in the street, they hide in the sewer-flap or run to the bushes when a car comes. I just don't feel like they are at a big risk. Meanwhile, it helps massively with inter-household cat behavioral problems, solves one of my cat's litterbox reluctance, and reduces the two year olds energy and affection seeking to super-cute instead of borderline unbearable.