Super Cat
Purraise
I love a success story....so glad to hear this

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

harris4274

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wallie's checkup was good. All healthy except for tail. They shaved it and took off that tiny bit of bone that was exposed. gave him Amox. to take to prevent infection, said may not have to do anything but if it dosent heal they will have to amputate a portion. They said looks like it has been chewed on, couldn't tell if it was injured due to being bitten or caught in something. We opted not to amputate and wait and see. It looks like it's healing, not bleeding or swollen or red. They had to go ahead and sedate him for his checkup and vaccines, he kept trying to swat everyone. Once he was back home he hid under the bed until I came home and laid on the bed, then he came out climbed up on the bed, cried alittle, then curled up around my neck and slept. He keeps trying to rub his cheek against mine but the cone gets in the way and he cant. I had to spoon feed him because of that cone. Thinking about taking it off, none of my others had to wear it. He dosent seem to be holding a grudge.

harris4274

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yes they did, all his vaccines, trimmed his claws, shaved his tail. they think he is between 7 and 11 mons. he has all his adult teeth, but he is small and skinny.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Nobody like “the cone of shame”. I usually felt worse for them than they did wearing it. Take it off in your presence and put it back on when you leave his sight.

Ah, the chin rubs! Best way to say “you’re mine, mom and if I mark you everyone will know! See what love does...take him to the vet, they do hurtful stuff to him, he hides and all you have to do is come home....all is well.

Glad he got a good report, poor baby. In a few weeks all will be well.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Glad things went well. Sending vibes his tail heals with no complications. :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

harris4274

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
walliecone.jpg well, I left the cone on for 5 days and decided that was enough. He was so miserable, he couldn't eat unless I fed him, the cone acted like a big scoop. I had to wash it after every meal because it got so dirty. He would not (or could not drink any water) it was in the way. when he tried to get off the bed to use the litter box he misjudged the leap and landed cone first in the litter box, so he gave up and just started using the bed (luckily I had plastic sheets on the bed). Whenever I went back to spend time with him he was just miserable. so I took it off and stayed there in the room all day to watch him. He was so happy, he groomed himself, then ate by himself, drank water and went to the litter box and then came back and gave me so many rubs and purrs, and didn't bother the incision except for a little grooming. After 2 days he still has a grove in his furr where the string was tied. He is happy, 2 weeks was too long to wear that cone, if he wasn't drinking water he would have gotten ill, he was getting only so much water from wet food. Tonight, I think I will put my other furr babies up and let him explore some of the rooms, get his scent around for the others to investigate.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow, five days! Sooo glad to hear a good report. Keep us posted. With that face...

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What a cutie pie. Glad he's behaving with his cone removed. Yes, please keep us posted. :purr:

harris4274

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
IMG_20180409_065606.jpg My husband got the door finished, so now Wallie can see and meet the rest of the family safely, no anxiety. Now they can see what kept trying to grab them under the door. Here he is meeting Dixie. We can leave the bedroom door open when we are home so he can look out the screen door 20180408_121226_kindlephoto-3271313.jpg and won't feel so alone. and close the bedroom door when we leave. I'm hoping that my other cat will stop the hissing so we can let Wallie come out and be with everyone. Only 1 cat is hissing, the other 2 just sit and watch him. If no one is with him he sits at the door calling until someone comes to him. Either me my husband, 1 of the dogs or cats, he doesn't care. I don't know if he was trying to play or trying to attack the dogs he would stand on his back feet and slap the screen, then he would try to stand on his head and do it. He really seems to fit in. He goes back to the vets tomorrow for another round of shots and to see if his tail is healing, he really has turned out to be a sweet kitty, he only runs and hides when he is confronted with things unfamiliar, but if u r in the room with him he will sidle up to you and check it out. He plays a bit ruff but hopefully my older cats can show him the way.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good luck at the vet tomorrow. As well as eventually letting Wallie have free run of the house. :catlove:
Great set up with the screen door, btw. :thumbsup:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cool setup! It sounds like playing. My two cats would slap each other and do the headstand thing too.

harris4274

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So now we are trying to introduce wallie to the gang. His vet ckup was good, tail is doing well, won't have to come off. We have been letting him out for a bit each day. First day was a bit scary for all of us. All 3 of my cats decided to converge at once, Wallie got a little scared and started hissing, then they started hissing. It sounded like a steam engine with all the hissing, so w e put him in his room for a bit. Then we tried to introduce Dixie, our GSD. She loves all cats and they love her, but she made the mistake of walking up to Wallie (who was up on the bed) and licked him. Well Wallie didn't like that so he gave Dixie a very solid thump on the nose. Poor Dixie looked so dejected, she hung her head and left the room. So glad Wallie didn't use his claws. So day 3, he has been spending more time out with us, except when our dogs in. Will have to put the childgate up. That way he can get use to the dogs and still be able to escape to the back part of the house and they can't follow. He follows the cats or they follow him. So far it may work out for them all. He wants to be with them but he's scared. And they are curious. He walked by and my big Orange tabby reached out a paw and touched as he walked by, not happy with that. He hissed, stood up and raised his paw as if to slap, I distracted him and he forgot about it. I've noticed he doesn't like anyone to touch him unless he gives the ok. Once he approves, your good as gold.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Poor wallie , all new stuff, but won’t be long before they’ll be playing together...

Remember that first day at that new school when you were a kid? Kind of like that right now!

harris4274

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wallie is proving to be quite a handful, for my other furrbabies. He stalks them and finds them where ever they hide. Not as much hissing and growling going on, but still watching closely. Had to put him in timeout last night, he was getting very slappy with the other cats. He would stalk them and when they hissed he would slap them, so it was time for him to take a break. He's like that pesty little brother that follows you every where and wont leave you alone. He is trying so hard to get them to play, it will just take time. They have this long tunnel that they love to play in, but they still hiss while they do it. When I put Wallie to bed my others layed in the hall while he cried. He is spending more time out of his room then in it. He goes in to take a naps and when he is hungry. The child gate works great when we have the dogs in the house and Wallie is loose. He can go through the gate and still slap them. He loves to slap, just so happy he keeps the claws in when he does it. The cats hiss, he slaps, they growl he tries to slap them again, that's when we step in and distract him. Probably should have named him Moe from the 3 stooges, they way he likes to slap everyone.

harris4274

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ok, so now I have questions. All my cats have always been female, Wallie being a male, maybe his personality will be different. He chases after the girls, but I'm not sure if he is playing or being fresh. Had to break up 2 fights that he started. Loki was laying on the edge of the coffee table and stretched out her paw to Wallie and he hissed at her. She has tried to play with him, but it turned into screaming and fur before I knew what happened. Neko will be laying on her tree and he will jump up hang on the ledge she is on and hiss and slap her. I put newspaper down with catnip so maybe they will mellow out, but he pounces on them and then chases them when they run, if they turn around it gets loud and crazy. It just seems that he is always trying to start a fight. He doesn't run from them or back down, even from our German Shepherds, he lays on the couch watching them. I've had them all in the same room, but if they come to me to be petted, Wallie hisses and tries to run them off. I know dogs will resource guard, but do cats also? Not sure how to handle this with out making matters worse. Or if this is something that will pass in time. I know he has to find his place, but it seems like he is trying to start at the top. Maybe I should start adding a little calming herb to everyone's food, get them all to mellow out and see if they can greet calmly.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I still wonder if it’s that Wallie is trying to assert his place in the “pride” so to speak and has less to do with being the male.

He was neutered around March 28th? So it’s only been about 4 weeks....that could be part of it. Maybe the old hormones aren’t completely gone yet?

Wish I could offer some suggestions to help.