So Now I Caught Stray Kitty

harris4274

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I left him alone for 24 hours except to go in and bring food, fresh water and look at the litter box. Yeah he is litter box trained. I gave him 2 both with litter, forgot to go buy the organic soil, but luckily I didn't need it. He is peeing and pooping in them, except for the big wet stain on the bedspread. Stripped it down and put plastic bags under the sheets for the next time. I think it might have been because nothing had his smell. I talked the whole time I was in there but didn't hear a peep out of him. After I left he came to the door and my 100lb Shepherd laid at the door sniffing. Had to shoo him away a number of times. My other 3 cats haven't gone near the door but they sit at the end of the hall watching. This morning I brought food cleaned out his litter and talked while a laid on the bed. He came out to eat and would stop every few bites to look up at me but he stayed. When he was finished eating I didn't see him anywhere so I thought he went back under the bed, so I got up and scared the poop out of him, he was in the litter box, poor baby. After I left he came to the door and was crying, my big furry baby went back to the door and lay there. The kitty kept reaching under the door and crying. Breaks your heart to see him doing that. I put a radio in there this morning to see if that will help him acclimate better. I need to get him to the vets soon. I put the carrier on the floor with my shirts that I have been wearing for 2 days inside it. I'm hoping I can get him in it with little trouble.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow, sounds like you’re off to a great start! Four cats and a big dog. It should be really fun once they all get integrated. My friend has a big German Shepherd and a rescue kitten. It’s fun to watch them play, or rather the kitten play. She just jumps on the dog and mauls him...he just sits there like he’s loving it.
Keep posted and maybe pics when you can.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You might try feeding him in the carrier so that it will make it easier to get him. Just be cautious that he doesn't get under the bed and hide there. I usually take the bed up or lay it flat on the floor when bringing a new kitty inside. Once under the bed it is nearly impossible to get them out.

Thank you for rescuing this sweet one. I hope the vet visit goes well. I would schedule the appointment sooner than later as you want a clean bill of health before he has any contact with your other cats.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just checked your other thread to remind myself which cat you were trying to trap, and realized it's the sweet little black kitten. Since he's so young, hopefully he'll integrate into your family easily. Good luck. Let us know how his vet visit goes. And, of course, post more pics. :camera: :catrub::heartshape:

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like it is going well! yay!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

harris4274

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, this weekend was great. I put some organic stress reducer in his food and he came out from under the bed finally. he was trying to stand up and peer over the bed to see what I was doing all u could see were ears. Got him to climb up on the bed, I have a faux fur blanket which he loves. He climbs all over me, he slams himself down against my side. He got so comfortable laying there kneading me He fell off the bed. A few times He has tried to jump up on the bed and forgot to put the claws out and fell to the ground. He kneads and purrs and puts his teeth on my finger like he is going to bite but doesn't. He climbed over me stuck his nose in my ear and purred up a storm but when I lift my hand to pet him, he runs away. Don't understand it. My husband just went back to feed him and he came out for him. He still lives under the bed until we go back there. He has toys, cat tree a bed, a window and yet he stays under the bed. But we are making great progress in this part. Then we get to start all over after I take him to the gets for shots and neuter.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Aw, nothing better than being kneaded and head butted....the ultimate cat “I love you, mom!”.

The petting will come. Right now just enjoy what he’s decided to share with you.

Great news!

harris4274

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last night while I laid on the bed with my tablet and he used me as a jungle gym I noticed he had an injury on his tail. From the tip to about 3 inches down was a scab and the tip was bloody. He is still not letting me touch him so I cant get a good look at it. But he growls when he tries to groom it so it must hurt. I read that diluted iodine is a safe antiseptic to use. My 2 females were at the door talking to him and he went to the door and talked back, after that he started prowling the room, climbing on everything and vocalizing, and peed on the quilt (good thing I put plastic down). So I'm thinking he is older than I originally thought, he must be old enough to know about girls, he seems small to me. I guess the vet will let me know. I am feeding him in his new carrier, so that it wont be too much of a struggle to get the gate closed when he goes in it to eat.

harris4274

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wallie is spending more time on top of the bed instead of under it. My husband and I both go back together so he can distract him while I pour antiseptic on his tail. The more I can see of it, it looks more like it was caught in something and not an animal bite. (Phew :hyper:) So that goes along with my theory that he may have climbed inside someone's engine to stay warm and his tail got injured. We were having some very cold nights here. Another reason not to put your kitties outside. I actually stroked his back twice while my husband played with him, he arched his back like he was enjoying it and then saw it was my hand and then slapped it (no claws out) so we are making progress. I put his food in the carrier and he goes in to eat, but I noticed he will keep one leg outside the carrier. So I went and bought a bigger carrier.

Attachments

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just love the picture of him. You are making great progress!
When I brought a feral cat inside last year, he too had a tail injury. It was about 2 inches from the tip of the tail. He too got it caught in something. It was very painful for him. My vet actually thought that it might need to be amputated at the tip. Yet, it healed very well with careful cleaning. He also needed antibiotics since it was very infected.

When is the vet visit/neuter scheduled?

harris4274

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am waiting on a certificate from friends of animals. Should be any day now. His tail doesn't look bad, didn't really notice it till the other night, the very tip looked wet, then l saw him biting at it while growling, when I got him to turn around, I saw it was blood, and what we thought was dirt turned out to be a long thin scab. I think it was healing and he started bothering it. Since I have been putting antiseptic on it, it isn't bleeding anymore. It isn't red or swollen, and I am keeping an eye on it. I'm hoping to have everything done at one time. Wellness check up, his tail, neuter/spay, rabies. Done and done. As little stress as possible. Then he can meet the girls. I have had him for a week, my vet is the one who told me about friends of animals. Wish I would have called them that day, I spent the weekend convincing my husband that there was no other option, we had to keep him, we were all Wallie knows now and he seems happy. It would be too cruel to abandon him. Just wish it was all done, he wants to come out so badly. Sometimes trying to get in and out of the room with 2 dogs and 3 cats all waiting right outside the door, can be a challenge.

harris4274

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well Wallie goes in this week for his vet checkup and neutering. I have to buy a bigger crate again. He has grown so fast, he can still keep one back leg outside the crate when he eats. I don't know if getting regular feedings has anything to do with it, but even my husband cant get over how much he has grown. If he keeps growing Im going to have to load him into a dump truck. His tale is looking good but am still going to have the vet look at it to make sure it wasn't caused by another animal. I still think he got it caught in something. He stopped running away every time I open the bedroom door. Now he stands his ground and will hiss until I talk to him. Then he jumps off the bed and walks between my feet, I have to shuffle so that I don't step on him, he stays right between them. He finally started taking some interest in sitting of the cat tree and watching all the birds and squirrels outside. We have been able to pet him a little bit. Some times he is ok with it and sometimes he'll come back and slap your hand. My husband was actually able to scratch his belly when he laid on his back to play with one of his toys.

harris4274

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OMG, I am tickled beyond pink. I actually sat on the bed this morning and stroked him and scratched his back. He came back and rubbed against me and plopped himself against my leg and let me pet him before he got up and slapped my hand. I know all of this will be undone one I crate him and take him to the vets, but hopefully he wont hold a grudge for long.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds like things are going well. Good luck with Wallie's trip to the vet.
Fingers crossed he's not one to hold grudges. :crossfingers: ;)

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Such good news and great progress! He will forgive you for the vet appointment. I hope it all goes well.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’m sure the faux slap is just to remind you who’s in charge! Thanks for posting...just love a success story.

Just think of what he must have been through in his life and the effort it takes for him to let down those years of guarding .....must be LOVE!

harris4274

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
wallie2.jpg So Wallie goes in tomorrow for his vet check and neuter. He has really come around. He comes running as soon as we come in the room, and gets in the kennel for his meals. He gets in the kennel while I'm in it changing his water and cleaning up any messes. He has realized how wonderful it is to be petted and grabs your hand and pulls to his head now. If you stop he will nip you, so we are working on that little problem. I cant wait to start introducing him to the others. They are always outside the door, so curious. The minute he know they are there he jumps down and lays on his side trying to see under the door. I just hope the vet gives him a clean bill of health. He really hates being alone now.