So many tomatoes!

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a bunch of tomatoes from my "garden" (planters really) and I have no idea what to make with them before they go bad. I've been suggested spaghetti sauce, salsa, and just eating them straight or in salads, but I'm looking for other ideas. Do you have any good ideas for how I can use up all of these beefsteak tomatoes?

Gunther4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chilli but you need a pressure cooker - many of the Land Grant colleges (ones that have Agriculture programs) provide recipes and tips. There are a lot of nice recipes for preserving tomatoes in various ways online.Lucky you though my tomatoes did not do all that well this year with all the rain. Be well.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have a freezer? I make quarts and quarts of tomato sauce and pureed tomatoes and freeze them.
Make tomato soup.
I second BLTs!
Tomato pie
Throw them in omelets and frittatas
Pizza!
I like to halve them, scoop out the seeds, and stuff them with smoked sausage, cheddar cheese, and bread crumbs. Throw them in the oven or the grill.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have freezer space....I cut mine into quarters and pack them fresh into a quart freezer bag,squish out the excess air and seal.They really do keep very well.... when they thaw,and you're gonna use them in a recipe,the skins slip right off.Or you could blanche,remove the skins and freeze that way.I even keep a couple of quart bags of green tomatoes in my freezer....whole...as I love to add one or 2 to a veggie soup.I use mine as I need them throughout the year,making a pot of sauce as I need it,making soups,chilis and stews.It works very well for me and nothing gets wasted.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, and do you have a dehydrator? Don't forget those tomato skins! You can dehydrate the tomato skins, and then put them through a spice grinder and you'll have tomato powder. I try to have a pint or two of tomato powder at the end of the season and that will see me through until the next tomato season. Why buy it if you can so easily make it?!