So I've brought in a used cat tree...

D_H

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
I really hope it's nothing, but I figured it worth asking..

Jean and Torti are 2 years old, and they're with us since they they were 3 months old. We had a non recognition aggression situation couple of months ago, and it took us 3 hellish weeks to get over it.

So much for intro lol, now for the issue: we've found a used cat tree outside of our building and decided to take it up (3 floors, no elevator :doh:) and clean it for our beloved cats.

As soon as we entered the door, Jean ran away and cowered in one room, while Torti went up and started to check the tree, sniff it and leave her scent on it.

After placing the tree in the living room I went to see how Jean's doing, and she was.. suspicious. She sniffed my hands through and through and seemed fine, but when I pulled back my arm she let out a threatening voice. That's when I realized my mistake. I've returned the cst tree back to the street immediately.

Meanwhile Jean stayed at the room, and apparently hisses at Torti when she came in.

Our stress levels are high at the moment, we're terrified about what might happen next. No kidding, it feels like PTSD..

Any ideas how to handle the situation, and/ or how not to freak out?

Thanks! ❤

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not do anything unless the girls get in to an actual fight, and I don’t think that is going to happen. Both of their nerves are on edge because they are smelling the strange cat or cats associated with that tree and is making them hissy. Take a shower, change your clothes, give it a day or two and they will calm down and go back to normal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

D_H

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I sat with Jean for a while in the room and she calmed down. When I exited the room she ran out.. currently she's smelling every inch of the floor and hisses her head off at Torti :(

At some point there were growling and she jumped and attacked her (or at least tried to, it's midnight and the room is dark..)

I'm not sure if Torti is nonchalant or just quite, but she's not running away or hiding

D_H

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We've decided to separate them for the night, so I'm gonna sleep on the couch with Jean, and my spouse will take Torti to our bed.
Both cats have water and litter.

I the morning we'll feed them separately, and I really hope it'll be behind us :sniffle:

D_H

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No interaction between the two since 5AM, when they (Torti) started crying for food (mealtime is 6am..)

It's almost 2pm now, which is lunch time.
Jean manged to escape the room when I got out, no hissing.

She have tried to sniff Torti's butt (as she normally does, dozen times a day) but Torti refused and they both looked on edge.

I've separated them again, before something might happen, we'll see how it goes after lunch.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont think it was a mistake unless you knew your cats are prone to this. Otherwise, you just got unlucky. We picked up a used tree via freecyle and had no issues. (Well, except for the fact that it was very wobbly. Who gives away broken c**p on freecycle? Throw that s**t out.)

Now that you know your cats are prone to this though, be very cautious when taking one to the vet and follow all recommended steps to avoid/minimize another episode:

How To Deal With Non-recognition Aggression In Cats – TheCatSite Articles

P.S. This has nothing to do with anything, but your post title made me think of one of my favorite prank calls.

D_H

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How are they doing now?
Thanks for checking up :) All is well now.
We've let them interact, while playing with both of them, and all went well.

I dont think it was a mistake unless you knew your cats are prone to this. Otherwise, you just got unlucky
A little from Column A, a little from Column B I guess :dunno: