So I have a new kitty...I named him Freckles

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hun, don't be scared to have that eye out. If it's making him miserable... I *really* wish we hadn't fought for so long with Flowerbelle. It was sucking up so much energy. They adapt so quickly! At some point it boils down to a quality of life issue. :heart2:

conikat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aww Peaches,
That's just awful. Poor little guy. It just breaks my heart, the problems some of them have. My poor little Rascal was so sick, and we didn't know how bad until his weight just dropped dramatically. I hate seeing them suffer no matter what the vet and I try. He had either FIP or cancer poor baby, and there was nothing we could do but love him and help as best we could, including knowing when it was time to let go, the hardest thing of all. I pray you have good luck with Freckles. I'll be sending all the prayers and hope I can think of. Give him a snoog for me too. I'd like to hear how things are going, if you have the time. How old is he, and do you have a photo you'd be willing to share?
I think I'm trying to drown my own grief in worrying about all the others, so forgive me, please, if I've butted in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hun, don't be scared to have that eye out. If it's making him miserable... I *really* wish we hadn't fought for so long with Flowerbelle. It was sucking up so much energy. They adapt so quickly! At some point it boils down to a quality of life issue.
Thanks LDG.  I actually feel better hearing that.  I feed my cats well, don't have to use flea/tick products...but I can't seem to fix this eye.  And geez I'm exhausted.  I get home from work and medicate the eye.  Stay up a bit, and medicate the eye again and try to get some sleep.  Wake up early, and medicate the eye.  Then shower and get ready for work and medicate the eye again.  The past few days I've had off, I've not even been in my bed.  I sleep/nap on the couch and medicate the eye.  He's tired, I'm tired...but I wanted to say I gave it one more shot.  The bupe has really made a difference in being able to medicate him, but that's just pain control.  I've felt like a failure with regards to this eye but geez, I don't have much more to give if anything.  I have to call in the morning to get a follow up appointment, I guess will know more then (about a week after New Year's).

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:hugs: I know EXACTLY what you mean. When we rescued Flowerbelle is when I switched from working in the office to primarily working from home and Gary did the office thing and all the marketing without me. It was weird. I don't remember what all she was being treated for, I just remember that for about 3 months or so, she needed to be medicated numerous times a day, it totaled 11 treatments, drops, pills, whatever. And of course we were constantly at the vet. They put stuff in her eye, sewed it up, go remove stitches - and it would start to get better and then get worse.... she was a trooper about it all, but seriously, enough was enough. I remember SO clearly TCS member hissy telling me to just have it out. I wish I'd listened.

Give it this last shot, see the vet... but you are NOT a failure. These things are often just incredibly stubborn. Lauren is STILL going through this with Perla, and they see a top rated small animal opthalmologist. This will be a lifelong battle. I suspect that unless you have his eye out, it will be the same for Freckles.

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

abbyntim

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Been keeping up. Feel bad for Freckles and his eye. You are absolutely not a failure; some things are just out of our control. LDG gave great advice. Just wanted you to know I'm pulling for you and Freckles.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry I've not updated the thread, work has been crazy and the appointment got rescheduled for today. I'm sitting with Freckles now waiting for the eye doc office to open (JAX traffic can be awful, so I'm a little early). I'll update a little later, I'm pretty sure he'll be going into surgery. All warm thoughts/vibes are appreciated; I have my concerns about putting a 10 year old cat with a checkered history through surgery.

conikat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh Hun, I feel so bad for you and your poor baby! One of my Ferals ( he never acted like one- this poor cat just wanted IN!!!). Anyway he went through hell several times over, a broken leg when we took him, then a rusted piece of wire about 3 inches long into his eye! ( that was a miracle, as it managed to go into his nasal cavity and missed both his eyeball and his brain), a bit later he got Toxoplasmosis, which was killing him slowly. I remember all too well the shots, the drops, the medications at all hours of the day and night. It was a nightmare, but I was determined to save him, no matter what. I feel bad to this day about some of the effects. I gave him shots all over his back and neck and hit nerves a few times. This left him with some bald spots that just never grew back.
So believe me, I know what you're going through. Sadly, I have to agree that the eye probably has to go, for his sake. It's making him sick and miserable and wiping you out as well. And 10 is not that old. If you've managed to keep his weight up he will likely come through surgery just fine. This is not the same thing as cutting him open would be. The doctors are so much better these days, and I've seen this done while working as a tech. Normally it's not a big thing, unless it's spread outside the area. Do you have any more info on what this is, how far it has spread, etc.? I'm sure though that if you have a good vet, it will be fine. It's not a lengthy surgery where they have to have him really deeply asleep.
I'm no expert, I can only go by what I went through with Jessie, and he was 9 with the Toxo.
All my love and prayers go with you and Freckles. Will be thinking of you both in the days to come.
Love to you all[emoji]128151[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]128151[/emoji]

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@ConiKat Freckles was 10 and starving to death when I found him.  He was fed the cheapest dry kibble the owners could find and basically left to die when they moved.  Hence I say "checkered" past.  I know very little about him.

He came through surgery just fine, I'm to pick him up about 2 pm today.  They're sending me home with pain meds since the surgery itself can make one sore.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my goodness, when I saw the update I didn't realize surgery would be right now! I'm sure you will both be so much happier! I sure hope that will be the case. :heart2:

Many vibes his recovery will go quickly and smoothly! :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: !!!!!

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That was fast! So happy he made it though surgery OK. The worst is over! Vibes that Freckles has a speedy recovery and is back to being a healthy, happy little man

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys, I think things will be a lot better for him now.  They changed the eye appointment date last week when I told them on the phone that I was pretty sure his eye wasn't getting better.  Evidently Tuesday is surgery day, so instead of me coming last week AND today, they decided to have me show up today if he was going to need surgery.  And he did.  The ulcer had not improved and the glaucoma had worsened.  I also decided to go ahead with pathology.  I want to know what happened and if there is something to look for with the other eye (so far it is fine).

I'll be leaving to pick him up shortly, and if I get handed eye drops I'll faint dead away.  I can't begin to tell you how tired I am of eye drops.  I know I'm to go back in 2 weeks and have the sutures removed...no way will I tackle that!

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh peaches. I must admit my nose tingled and tears came to my eyes for freckles and for you. Once it's healed you both can get a good nights sleep.
I understand that cats and dogs adapt quickly to having one eye. Think how relieved he will be not to see you bearing down on him for more treatment.
You did the right thing. I'm thinking of you both and sending vibes - my smilies have disappeared sigh.
My love goes to you both.
Hugs.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's feeling a bit better now.  Yesterday he peed once and would not eat or drink, which scared the daylights out of me.  I tried Fancy Feast canned and even Temptation treats to no avail.  He would back away from water too.  I took him in to my regular vet first thing this morning, who figured Freckles to be in pain and gave him a shot of metacam and told me to double dose him with bupe.  I know the reports behind metacam, but I was seriously afraid of worse things to come if I didn't try it.  He feels a lot better and finally ate about 4-5 teaspoons of Hill's A/D this afternoon.  I've making bone broth now to add to his food as well to see if that will help.  He does seem to feel a lot better now after the metacam and bupe doubled.  Oh, he also gave him some subQ fluids to help with any dehydration concerns.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow...can't believe surgery is said and done! I'm glad that Freckles' pain is being addressed.  
  Sending TONS of vibes for a smooth recovery.  

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He still wasn't eating well, but I mixed up some goat from HT today and he's tearing it up!  Thank goodness, because we all know what my next options are:  ER stay for the weekend, and possibly a feeding tube.  Picky little stinker.

@LDG and @Feralvr did you use a cone?  He REALLY hates that thing and it is heavy.  He's not going after the eye at all, but I will use it if needed.  I'm not above being safe and will probably put it on him tonight when I go to work, but he can't drink/eat/etc with it on.  Maybe use it full time when he starts itching as it heals?

conikat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear that he's doing better. Goat is new to me, but I've used the meat baby food for some of my cats and they eat that when nothing else appeals to them. Adding my good thoughts for a quick recovery, and a return to health ASAP!
Best wishes for you and Freckles[emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]128062[/emoji]