So grateful for this site!!

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If this is in the wrong thread maybe one of the mods can move it. But I want to thank everyone on this site. It’s great to have a site with cat owners who can give great advice as they have experienced the same you have. It’s great to see people say what worked for their cats without saying this is how you have to do. As I have seen people on different sites no it has to be this way or else! Glad this site doesn’t do that at all.

As everyone knows I have 2 cats Scooter(5 years old) & Casper(1 years old)both boys both neutered. In Sept Scooter developed an emergency when I noticed him peeing blood and was rushed to the ER vet. He was not blocked but bladder was full of blood. It scared me cause if I had not caught it when I did he would have blocked & I would have lost him. So after a 24 hour stay with medications he was sent home. Even though the ER vet suspected a stone but couldn’t tell cause of the blood I don’t think he had any. I don’t think he had crystals either cause only thing mentioned by the ER vet & regular vet was Bacteria that there was bacteria in his bladder/urine.

Of course the ER vet and regular vet said he had to be on a special diet to keep his urinary tract healthy and to prevent reoccurrence. Of course they said prescription food and only recommended Royal Canin or Hill’s. Royal Canin he would not touch neither would Casper who was not picky about food. Hill’s he did ok on but when the bag was about empty he started throwing up a lot. I think the Hill’s was starting to disagree with him. Plus the prescription food was too expensive $32 for a 4lb bag & $2 or $6 per canned is expensive as hell.

Plus with 2 cats to feed as it’s easier to feed them the same thing it wouldn’t last long. So I decided to find a non prescription urinary food to feed them. With that googled best urinary food for cats and read every single article, read reviews for any of the choices I saw in the articles that I was considering, I joined here in Sept when the problem happened so I looked through threads, asked some vets online and even a lovely member here who lived near my area who asked their vet for me helped out. After all of that I went with Purina Pro Plan urinary tract health food. Scooter does very well on this food so does Casper(even though he didn’t have the UTI). Since I do give them both wet & dry I did have the Purina Pro Plan dry but that didn’t agree with either Casper or Scooter at all. Casper got diarrhea and Scooter threw up like he did on Hill’s. So for dry I went to Purina One+ Urinary Tract Health.

The boys get 2 wet feedings a day 3 if it’s a special occasion. I do add extra water to the wet food each time I give it to them. I only put enough to make it a little soupy I don’t add a lot as if I do they won’t eat til I remove some of the water. They get a small amount of dry to graze on when I am gone or asleep. If I give them dry when awake I add a little water to it. Even though the Purina Pro Plan Urinary food has a Salmon & Ocean Whitefish flavor I don’t give them those flavors. I want to keep them away from fish as much as possible. So they get Beef & Chicken, Chicken, & Turkey & Giblets flavor. Now I have given them a small amount of tuna juice on an occasion but it’s not every day thing. I do give them chicken flavored treats their favorite is the lickable treats that I call kitty crack. 😂 Water wise I have not replaced their gravity water bowl yet. I do plan on doing it and plan on getting a stainless steel one. I did test out a fountain but all they wanted to do was play in it. So I still have the regular gravity water bowl.

I did have an extra stainless bowl that was Nera’s(my dog) for food but she got a different bowl. Anyway I use stainless steel bowl for water. I will put that down when they get food and it gets both to get water. So in the kitchen there is 2 places for water. The food bowls & the stainless steel water bowl is cleaned daily. The gravity water jug/bowl gets cleaned weekly. Litter box is scooped multiple times a day and deep cleaned weekly. I do keep a record of when Scooter uses the litter box. I look at anything he leaves to be sure. I know this is weird but it helps me feel better and I will keep doing it til I feel comfortable in not having to worry so much which is an ocd thing for me. Scooter has been doing great with Purina urinary food. He doesn’t throw up constantly like he did Hill’s. He did last week but that was a hairball. He seems to be more energetic as he lost some weight. He & Casper play every day after dinner and late at night. They play til they wear themselves out. They even play with Nera. Both of their furs has become so soft since being on Purina urinary food. Scooter has become more cuddly too. It’s been almost 3 months since it happened and my boy is doing great. After Christmas I am going to take him for a check up just to see how he is doing. I just want a peace of mind that giving him the Purina urinary food instead of the expensive as hell prescription food was the right choice. But I am glad so far he is doing great(knock on wood).

I am so sorry this is very very long if you read my ramble you are amazing! I just want to let you all know how things are going with my boys and how appreciative I am for finding this site!! 😻🐾❤

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh I forgot to mention for stress wise neither of my boys get stressed a lot. I think Scooter gets stressed if he feels I am stressed. Which with having a combination of OCD/Anxiety/Depression it can happen often. To better deal with it I’m starting counseling sessions tomorrow. But otherwise I try to keep things stress free for my boys & my baby girl.

Oh here are recent pics of my boys:

Scooter

IMG_2690.jpeg

Yes Scooter plays with balled up napkins. Idk why but every time I ball up a paper towel or napkin he nabs it and plays with it. 😂

Here is Casper in his new cubby hole/spot I created for the cats

IMG_2853.jpeg

And cause she is cute here is my baby girl Nera

IMG_2440.jpeg

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Your cats are precious and I can tell from reading your post how much you care about their well being. :rbheart: Your baby girl, Nera, is pawsitively adorable. :hearthrob: I love her expression and those ears are charming.

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your cats are precious and I can tell from reading your post how much you care about their well being. :rbheart: Your baby girl, Nera, is pawsitively adorable. :hearthrob: I love her expression and those ears are charming.
I do love all of my fur babies so much. I do whatever I can to take care of them. There has been times I have chosen my furbabies over myself. When it came to either me eating or them I chose them. The fact all furbabies I have ever had made it to very old age shows my love. My last cat Skeeter was almost 17 when he passed. Oddly enough Scooter is the only cat I have had that needed an emergency vet visit. Both Scooter & Casper basically found me. Nera my baby girl she is a diva but so precious. I do suspect she sometimes think she is a cat though. 😂 But I love all my furbabies.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Counseling is great, especially when insurance is paying for it.

You're probably wise to avoid fish; when my boy Nimbus was having urinary stones I found out that the minerals that cause the stones are present in large concentrations in sea water.

The one thing I would caution you about with chicken, beef, and turkey is that they may cause an allergy down the road, as they did for my Jasmine, and finding a novel protein that won't trigger urinary tract problems could be challenging - Jasmine is getting a lot of fish in her diet now. So that's an added reason for avoiding fish now - you'll have it to fall back on should you need a novel protein later. But do keep your eyes open; if either of your boys starts losing weight you should get your vet involved as soon as possible.

Nera is gorgeous! My parents had a dog who was convinced he was a cat; he tried very hard to purr when he got things like belly rubs and could never figure out why the humans were scolding him for growling, didn't we know a purr when we heard one? Poor baby.

Margret

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Counseling is great, especially when insurance is paying for it.

You're probably wise to avoid fish; when my boy Nimbus was having urinary stones I found out that the minerals that cause the stones are present in large concentrations in sea water.

The one thing I would caution you about with chicken, beef, and turkey is that they may cause an allergy down the road, as they did for my Jasmine, and finding a novel protein that won't trigger urinary tract problems could be challenging - Jasmine is getting a lot of fish in her diet now. So that's an added reason for avoiding fish now - you'll have it to fall back on should you need a novel protein later. But do keep your eyes open; if either of your boys starts losing weight you should get your vet involved as soon as possible.

Nera is gorgeous! My parents had a dog who was convinced he was a cat; he tried very hard to purr when he got things like belly rubs and could never figure out why the humans were scolding him for growling, didn't we know a purr when we heard one? Poor baby.

Margret
Yes true it is great when insurance pays for it. Since I get mine through the state I live in they pay for mental healthcare. Although some places won’t accept state insurance so I am glad I found a place that does.

I’m aware they can have allergies to those flavors if I have to I will add the salmon but not in large quantities like I was before. But so far neither of my boys has shown any signs of allergies to the food. If Scooter did he would be throwing up like he did on Hill’s towards the end. Scooter was itchy but it’s cause the flea medicine I treated the boys with failed and right now I can’t put another treatment on them until the 30 days are up. But he has no signs of over grooming or anything to show he has an allergy. Plus those kinds of flavors are ones they always ate before Scooter developed a UTI. But I will keep it in mind. Scooter did lose a little bit of weight when he was eating Hill’s. I had to google to make sure he wasn’t too thin. Which all my research concluded long as his ribs & spine isn’t showing and he still has his belly fupa he is fine. Scooter weighed 15lbs his last check up the vet said that was too much for him. But after Christmas when he does get another check up cause with Christmas coming I can’t afford a visit now. Anyway I will ask the vet to see what they think. I do think him losing a little bit of weight helped him a lot cause he seems to have more energy then he did before. But I’m just grateful he is doing great so far!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You have such a great looking pet family xlynnbbyx xlynnbbyx ! They're all so adorable but the photo of Scooter with the little balled up napkin in his mouth is just adorable! Casper is quite striking with his coloring, and it looks as though he has blue eyes?
Nera definitely has Papillon ears. Almost every single person I've known with Papillons and cats say they swear their Paps have some kind of species identity crisis and they really do think they're cats. All of mine certainly have!!

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You have such a great looking pet family xlynnbbyx xlynnbbyx ! They're all so adorable but the photo of Scooter with the little balled up napkin in his mouth is just adorable! Casper is quite striking with his coloring, and it looks as though he has blue eyes?
Nera definitely has Papillon ears. Almost every single person I've known with Papillons and cats say they swear their Paps have some kind of species identity crisis and they really do think they're cats. All of mine certainly have!!
Yeah Scooter loves balled up napkins or paper towels. Every time I ball one up he comes running wanting it. He will play with balled up tape too. It’s funny cause he & Casper have so many toy balls to bat around he chooses a napkin. 😂

Casper’s eyes are indeed blue they are the most beautiful blue eyes I have seen on a cat. His coloring has my mom and sister saying he looks like a slightly toasted marshmallow. Which has lead my sister to giving him the nickname marshmallow.

Nera funny thing is when we got her the lady told us she was a Pomeranian. But her sister who my mom’s friend/co worker has her sister and she looks nothing like a Pomeranian. We found out she is Papillon. She is tiny for a papillon probably why she thinks she is a cat. Her brothers are cats and the strays outside take to her so sometimes I think she is like hey I’m a cat. 😂