So confused

Lolliecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,
In November a little feral cat found us. After tons of patience and lots of good food rewards she started becoming tame. She was thin but I noticed a round belly right away, called and got de-wormer that is safe for possibly pregnant cats (just starting to be tame but not enough to take her in without stressing her). She was wormy for sure but doing well now after treatment (2 rounds actually). But her belly is still pretty round. I coaxed her in my basement door using her favorite food haha! She now has a bedroom in the basement (we have indoor cats that wouldn't be pleased to have another sister). She's been inside for i'd say around 25 days. I was pretty sure she was pregnant and it was super super cold outside when I brought her in...we don't want her babies to freeze.

Anyway, last night she seemed to go in to heat. I know a cat can act like they are in heat as labor approaches. But now I just don't know what to think. I swore I felt movement several times. Her nipples have gotten larger but not LARGE either. I tossed around the idea of trying to crate her and have her examined but the vet thought it too stressful for her at the moment as she's possibly pregnant and formerly feral/adjusting to being inside for the first time. I have no idea how far along she might be if she is pregnant. We thought she was pregnant when we first saw her but with the worm belly I have no idea.

She's a very sweet girl most of the time but has random bursts of feral behavior. I adore her and absolutely plan on having her fixed and keeping her. She will most likely have to go back outside (she's not adjusting the greatest to indoors) but we're building a shelter for her.

Kind of just wanting to hear other people's opinions/experiences. Yes, I know we can have a pregnant cat spayed. I can't do it. But once we know one way or the other and before she has to move back outdoors she will be fixed.

Does she look possibly pregnant to you or more like she's just a round cat LOL? I am just so unsure with her! And pardon the ugly basement..it's begging for someone to finish it and make it pretty! ;)

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lolliecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also I should add that by saying building a shelter what I mean is I think we are going to put a cat door in the basement so she can come back in if she wants, on her terms. Ideally id keep her in but it all depends on her and if she ever adjusts fully. But that at least will give me the option to keep her in for bad weather and overnight. The house cats don't have access to the basement so it would be safe for all of them.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if I can be helpful, but I think a vet should definitely examine your cat. She has a large belly, but there could be other causes for this besides pregnancy including illness since she is feral. Is your vet willing to make housecalls? Maybe she could be given some type of sedative so the examination won't upset her.

Lolliecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He doesn’t do house calls unfortunately. We only have one local vet too as we’re in a tiny town.

Ive emailed him the same photos. He just suggested waiting a bit longer and if nothing comes in 2 weeks then bring her in. Unless something concerning pops up.
As of now, no discharge, pain, fever or otherwise concerning behavior. But I’ll be watching her like a hawk.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
It is safer for her to be inside. She may not be pregnant, could be something else. But better to be sure. And thank you for helping this girl and intending her to get fixed.

She is very cute. I hope you would keep her. ❤

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She just looks chubby and healthy to me! She’s super cute too. Since she’s such a fluffy cat it’s hard to say if she’s pregnant. Waiting a few weeks is your best bet. :)

Lolliecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I go back and forth on chubby or pregnant 😂 It’s extremely hard to tell on her.
She will be going to the vet at some point for sure. He just suggested waiting since she’s stressed from all the changes and possibly pregnant.
We would prefer to keep her inside. I’m not a big fan of outdoor cats for safety reasons. But realistically I know some ferals never adapt inside. We want to keep her safe for sure. She’s very special and very much bonded to me. I’m working on helping her adjust it’s just not going as well as hoped. So at the very least she will have the option to be in (and I’ll have the ability to lock her in at least overnight).

We live in the country so cats often show up. We always do what we can for them 💕 If I didn’t have my indoor babies she’d be in the main part of the house already lol. Who knows, if she gets a clean bill of health maybe the indoor cats will accept her eventually. (2 easygoing and 1 grumpy guy).