So Close To Call The Rescue To Take My Kittens Back...

Annies1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My heart is breaking, but I don't know how mych longer I can continue this....First time pet owner.... We adopted two kittens at the beginning of August. Both came with Giardia ( of course I didn't know). We've been thru 2 rounds of antibiotics and very tough days. One kitten seems to be better, the other still diarrhea.....It's been almost 2 months....two last fecal tests showed negative (at least one good news) But one is still sick. Today vet is giving him Tylosin (Tylan) for two weeks. This is the last thing i can do. I'm also putting them on some ID diet vet recommended, although they are already on good food. I'm really hoping this will help.The Vet is on my speed dial. I do what they tell me. Not to mention how costly it is. They are 5 months old now and we love them, but I am so exhausted. I'm thinking to call the lady I got them from...Can someone please tell me how much longer this is going to last? My kids are getting mega attached to them, we all are, I hate to watch them go... I just want to cry, nothing seems to work.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Giardia can be tough to get rid of because of the cysts that can survive in the environment which then will reinfect. I don't want to add to your woes but you may need to go all out with disinfecting the environment, bleach will kill the cysts. I know it is a lot of work but it may break the cycle of reinfection. Giardia in Cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Annies1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I did. I spent the last mont and a half bleaching and steaming everything possible. I bought cheap litter and would change everyday and use clean box everyday.
There is no area in my home that's not disinfected. Today is the second test result that's negative. The first one negative got earlier this month but still put them on Metro second round just to be safe. Vet thinks the giardia is over....i tend to believe it. I just want this to be over.

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Complete your prescription don't change the kittens food suddenly each time you do they will have more diarrehea. Keep them indoors only. Does the rescue not guarantee health for at least 30 days? keep all your receipts. I offer Diatomaceous Earth food grade in their moist food this removes any parasites or negative bacteria no issues ever (unless injured) also contains minerals for them.

Last edited:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello A Annies1 - I've just read your other thread, and boy, have you been through the ringer! You are doing so much for them, kudoes to you!
:goldstar:
:hugs:

I only have one recommendation beyond anything that I've read in your posts, but you are a great cat (and people) mom, so it's likely you have considered this!

One thing that can help with kittens, even older five-month-olds, is to feed many small meals per day (even like four or five smaller meals). Sometimes if you feed kittens only two or three larger meals (for me, "larger" is more than 2 or 3 ounces per meal), they can get diarrhea from that. And I would think they especially might do so if their little bodies are also trying to combat the very frustrating Giardia. You could try seeing if feeding them just an ounce or two per meal helps out. That all depends on if you are home a lot, of course.

Oh, and don't forget how dehydrating diarrhea or vomiting can be, esp. for kittens! Make sure you can keep them hydrated.
Did your vet suggest ways to do so?

:hugs:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Talk to your vet about getting forti-flora for their food. It's a powdered probiotic that just might help this issue.
The medicine to get rid of giardia is needed, badly! Get rid of that parasite! But it can strip ALL the bacteria out of their system and most living things NEED good bacteria for their gut to thrive. And most cats LOVE forti-flora so getting them to eat it shouldn't be a problem!

Annies1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for support. I don't want to jinx it, but this morning box looked BETTER! There is a hope. I think Tylosin works and now it's just a matter of time. They will need time to re-build. I have probiotic i will add to their food. Just not sure if it will go well with Antibiotics at the same time, after all, the Antibiotics kill bacteria...Anyway. If it all goes well they are staying and we can all move on. Took 2 months of nightmare....I hope this chapter is over. Will update.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try to allow at least 2 hours between giving antibiotics and giving probiotics. I always make sure when giving antibiotics to give probiotics, but even then it doesn't always stop them from getting diarrhea (I realize diarrhea is the reason for the antibiotics in this case), but maybe you'll notice a change in the diarrhea :dunno:.

What I'm trying to say is, antibiotics often bring ON diarrhea, and probiotics can help with that. Using FortiFlora as an probiotic may help, but you may also need a probiotic with more strains in it. I use Natural Factors Acidofilus & Bifidus Extra Strength everyday for my furkids (1 capsule per day, split between two meals) and ADD FortiFlora when they are on antibiotics.

Annies1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Diarrhea continues. I gave him probiotic and will see. The vet is going to call today for update, but I'm affraid there is nothing to update I was actually reading your posta and thinking that maybe this is too kuch of the antibiotic....after all he's been on it fo so long. I'm gonba ask vet if i should continue Tylan for 2 weeks regardless if there is a change or not or just stop Tylan, give hom probiotics only and see what happens? I talked to my kids last night going through options that we may have after this is not working out.....they were heartbroken. It braks my heart too, I love to see my kittens happy, but I'm scared this issue it's only a beginning of something very serious that I won't be able to deal with. Still hoping for the best.

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Diarrhea continues. I gave him probiotic and will see. The vet is going to call today for update, but I'm affraid there is nothing to update I was actually reading your posta and thinking that maybe this is too kuch of the antibiotic....after all he's been on it fo so long. I'm gonba ask vet if i should continue Tylan for 2 weeks regardless if there is a change or not or just stop Tylan, give hom probiotics only and see what happens? I talked to my kids last night going through options that we may have after this is not working out.....they were heartbroken. It braks my heart too, I love to see my kittens happy, but I'm scared this issue it's only a beginning of something very serious that I won't be able to deal with. Still hoping for the best.
Good luck with your kittens. It sounds like you've really had a hard time with them. I don't have any specific advice to give you, but I do recall one of my cats having a tough first year as well. He had an issue with herpes, then got a UTI and I had to do a ton of vet visits.

One thing that helped me put all the vet visits into perspective was to understand that kittens, like children, get sick. Their immune systems are just developing, and as they grow up they also grow out of many of the issues that they have (in my case herpes flare-ups).

It sounds like you have already solved a number of issues that your kittens have. If you can give this kitten a bit more time I'm sure that the diarrhea will resolve. I would also recommend getting pet insurance for your kittens to give yourself some piece of mind about the future.

Annies1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All I can do is to give them more time. Giving them back is absolutely the last alternative. Thank you for all your support, I will keep fighting. Can't imagine coming to my home without my furry boys greeting me at the door. I hope the immune system will charge and we will all put this behind us. I will update...

Annies1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Latest update. Antibiotic Tylan finished 2 day ago. "things" firmed up. I hope it will continue this way with no antib. There is hope. Took 2 months of a nightmare.
Thanks everyone for your support and good word.