Snowshoe, Mixed With Anything Else?

burrito

★ ★ ★
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, there! This is my (first) cat, Emil.

I adopted him a few months ago at two years old. His adoption papers say that he is a "snowshoe/mix". I had initially not known of this type of cat before, and after looking at photos online, only saw short-haired ones.

I'm simply wondering if anyone wants to speculate with me about what he might be mixed with, or if it's normal for a snowshoe to have long hair?

Here are some more pictures that I hope you'll enjoy, at the least. I also want to add that he has the softest meow I've heard!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Emil is so cute! I would describe him as a seal point and white domestic longhair.

He probably doesn't have Snowshoe ancestry; most likely, the shelter labeled him as "snowshoe/mix" because of his coloring. The Snowshoe is a shorthaired breed and is extremely rare, but Snowshoe lookalikes are common. Most cats are not any particular breed.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Emil is adorable! I would describe him as a seal point bicolor Domestic Longhair. I would go with more of a Ragdoll lookalike than a Snowshoe lookalike for him, because Snowshoes are shorthaired cats.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Emil is adorable! I would describe him as a seal point bicolor Domestic Longhair. I would go with more of a Ragdoll lookalike than a Snowshoe lookalike for him, because Snowshoes are shorthaired cats.
I'd agree and also agree that he is just gorgeous!!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's gorgeous! I think most shelters will call any bicolor pointed "snowshoe", more as a pattern description than a breed identification.

There's probably some Ragdoll in his background.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think he has much resemblance to a Ragdoll... they are more massive cats, with shorter faces, smaller ears, shorter legs, and a more full coat. He has similar coloring and hair length to a Ragdoll, however this doesn't indicate Ragdoll ancestry. The genes for colorpoint, white spotting, and long hair are all widespread in the domestic cat gene pool. The colorpoint gene originally came from the Siamese many generations ago, but at this point it is spread throughout the gene pool and doesn't tell us anything about breed ancestry.

Last edited:

ambermay

I hold your heart close to my chest.
Adult Cat
Purraise
Emil is such beautiful cat beyond words.

No matter really what breed he is, but yes, he does look like snow-shoe.

My moggies also look like something, but every cat has some roots to some breed. Like it is said - unless the papers are there - there is no breed.
All mine are lovely as well, and they are all neutered and spayed.
For Example - my late Johnie (my icon) looked much like EM in life, But who cares, I know that he was lovely DSH silver tabby. That does not make him or any others lesser than they are as persons.

That is what counts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

burrito

★ ★ ★
Kitten
Purraise
The cakes around your kitty are totally lovely. I see that he is really cherished.
Emil is such beautiful cat beyond words.

No matter really what breed he is, but yes, he does look like snow-shoe.

My moggies also look like something, but every cat has some roots to some breed. Like it is said - unless the papers are there - there is no breed.
All mine are lovely as well, and they are all neutered and spayed.
For Example - my late Johnie (my icon) looked much like EM in life, But who cares, I know that he was lovely DSH silver tabby. That does not make him or any others lesser than they are as persons.

That is what counts.
They're actually stuffed burgers that he enjoys chasing around. Your words are pleasant, though! I make sure he knows it every day. (:

Your Johnie was also beautiful. My sister has an adorable tabby that Emil has befriended. I could watch them all day.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh goodness gracious me! Cuteness overload! :loveeyes:

ambermay

Adult Cat
Purraise
They're actually stuffed burgers that he enjoys chasing around. Your words are pleasant, though! I make sure he knows it every day. (:

Your Johnie was also beautiful. My sister has an adorable tabby that Emil has befriended. I could watch them all day.

This is the cutest video, kudos to you and them.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Snowshoes are, on some level, mixes by definition because they are crosses of Siamese and domestic shorthairs. But of course cats like your Emil and our Edwina -- both of whom have the typical snowshoe markings -- are probably even more mixed! For a bit more on this:
The Snowshoe Siamese or Snowshoe Cat

Edwina is also fluffy, like Emil, and Edwina has longer fur than her lynx mix sister. Edwina's fur is sort of a medium length. (Though we were told at the shelter that they came from the same litter we can't be sure absolutely since we were not their first people!) Our cats also came with adoption papers calling them mixes. They are wonderful cats and Edwina, in particular, is one of the most affectionate cats I have ever seen.

Siamese mixes (which these cats are considered since they have clear signs of Siamese markings/points) sometimes tend to have some health peculiarities, which our vet (and one of the vet techs, who has Siamese and/or mixes herself) has mentioned: tendencies toward sensitive digestive systems and dental issues. Our cats are six and we've seen both but knowing early on was helpful! Feeding them very low-carb meaty diets of only wet food and brushing their teeth does wonders.

Have fun with Emil!

Here's Edwina at work:

burrito

★ ★ ★
Kitten
Purraise
Snowshoes are, on some level, mixes by definition because they are crosses of Siamese and domestic shorthairs. But of course cats like your Emil and our Edwina -- both of whom have the typical snowshoe markings -- are probably even more mixed! For a bit more on this:
The Snowshoe Siamese or Snowshoe Cat

Edwina is also fluffy, like Emil, and Edwina has longer fur than her lynx mix sister. Edwina's fur is sort of a medium length. (Though we were told at the shelter that they came from the same litter we can't be sure absolutely since we were not their first people!) Our cats also came with adoption papers calling them mixes. They are wonderful cats and Edwina, in particular, is one of the most affectionate cats I have ever seen.

Siamese mixes (which these cats are considered since they have clear signs of Siamese markings/points) sometimes tend to have some health peculiarities, which our vet (and one of the vet techs, who has Siamese and/or mixes herself) has mentioned: tendencies toward sensitive digestive systems and dental issues. Our cats are six and we've seen both but knowing early on was helpful! Feeding them very low-carb meaty diets of only wet food and brushing their teeth does wonders.

Have fun with Emil!

Here's Edwina at work:
Apologies for the late response! I just wanted to let you know I really appreciate the info. I will definitely apply it and keep it in mind from now on.

(By the way, Edwina is a cutie!)

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Apologies for the late response! I just wanted to let you know I really appreciate the info. I will definitely apply it and keep it in mind from now on.

(By the way, Edwina is a cutie!)
You're so welcome! It made a huge difference for us to get that advice from the vet early on: we were attuned to digestive issues because our last cat developed them but we took these cats in at just ten months.

Emil and Edwina look a lot alike (their mixing looks pretty similar! :lol:) and I love the video of Emil grooming your sister's cat, who is equally cute!

ambermay

Adult Cat
Purraise
Did you know that ANY breed is mixed with something?
That is the way breeds are created.
You simply can not do anything from one strain, but to mix it with another.
I personally (forgive me) believe that Snowshoe can now stand alone as a breed, even if not accepted by certain authorities.
But, who cares, right?

ambermay

Adult Cat
Purraise

Lovely video.
By the way, the tabby on it looks just like Royal British shorthair

burrito

★ ★ ★
Kitten
Purraise